Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tuchel gone

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Sad to say this is the end of our love affair with our Graham. I hope I am proved wrong but hope is all thats left now.

Goodbye Graham, thanks for the memories.

Really bad timing too, Sc@@w you Chelsea.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Other than annual salary there's no reason for Potter to move. If, and it's a guess, Potter gets £3m where he is and Tuchal was on say £10m, then there's a significant upside. This should be balanced off with ambition, risk of job loss, length of project, Board (TB must be a more enjoyable person to work with. I'd say TB talks to GP, GP says he's not interested but it is more money, TB ups his salary £2m, which is nothing in the scale of the EPL and Potter SINGS new 6 year contract.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The standard way it's done is.....

Interested club ask manager (indirectly via 3rd party) who's in a job if they would be interested in X job.

Manager in job (via 3rd party) says yes or no.

Then you have the official approach.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yes, unfortunately I think you are right. They aren’t going to make an official approach unless they’ve had a quiet word on the side. Having said that it’s not just Graham that’s in the frame. Bloom won’t block it as that’s not his stance.
However, the one glimmer of hope is what Barber/Bloom said about interviewing Potter in that it was virtually a reverse interview with Potter asking all the questions and wanting to know the ins and outs before he committed to us.
He’ll do the same with Chelsea and if the yank and him don’t see eye to eye then it will be a no go.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just read on The Guardian that the players didn't like Tuchel's tactics and the fact they played 3 different formations against Zagreb last night with Sterling in central midfield at one point.

In that case, I really don't think Potter is their man!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Southgate and Allardyce both flopped in league managerial positions, but were offered the England job.

I wouldn't say Allardyce flopped. Until last year, he'd never seen a team relegated and pretty much all the clubs he managed did worse after he'd left. That's not to say he was right for England but he's certainly not the total failure you're making him out to be

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Other than annual salary there's no reason for Potter to move. If, and it's a guess, Potter gets £3m where he is and Tuchal was on say £10m, then there's a significant upside. This should be balanced off with ambition, risk of job loss, length of project, Board (TB must be a more enjoyable person to work with. I'd say TB talks to GP, GP says he's not interested but it is more money, TB ups his salary £2m, which is nothing in the scale of the EPL and Potter SINGS new 6 year contract.

:ffsparr:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tuchel took over after 19 Prem matches when Chelsea were 9th and 11 points behind the leaders. Despite that he went on to win the Champions League that same season with those same players.

Compare that with Chelsea now - 6th place, 5 points off the lead having spent more on players over the summer than any other club in the world. As starting points go this is not a bad set of circumstances to inherit.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Can’t see GP going to Chelsea. He needs a couple of seasons to get what he wants players to do into their heads, and the Chelsea dressing room is full of football superstars.

Chelsea fans don’t have a great deal of patience, and their players believe they were bought for what they already do, rather than to have to adapt to what a relatively untried (in terms of global success) coach asks them to do. It would be a toss-up between whether the fans or the dressing room would run out of patience first.

I can`t see him turning Chelsea job down. Whilst we think of Brighton as a Prem club. Realistically we are minnows compared with Chelsea. Potters Chelsea salary would be enormous compared with his salary here. Love him to stay but IMO he`s bound to go if he gets the chance.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I am really worried about this as I just can't see him turning it down similar to when Newcastle approached Ashworth and losing Potter will be a bit of a disaster IMO. I know we always have a succession plan but I don't think some people appreciate quite how good Potter is and I think he is an incredibly hard act to follow.

BUT on the flipside, if he did reject their approach, what a massive boost that would be to us and our development as a top PL club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What hurts, he could be gone by tomorrow, we won't get a chance to say goodbye or thank you.

I hate Chelsea, but them's the risks when you have a good manager, would rather have a good one poached, than a bad one take us down.

This is why I laugh at people talking about 5 year plans blah blah. Football is about THE moment. Too bad, managers sacked and players released. Too good and managers poached and players sold. Always been, always will. A long stint in the chair is 3 years. Something like 1.5 is average. All the upheaval and chaos that goes with. Hence why, all this talk of patient steady Eddy planning etc some fans talk about is utter nonsense. Strike now. Have to win now. Because tomorrow it’s almost a given that a torpedo will strike. That’s football. Chaos is norm. You don’t get time to breath. It’s relentless. If ‘Potters project’ began to bear fruit, as it has done, then the scrumpy pickers soon arrive. It was never going to last more than couple seasons max. Equally if we’d ended up getting relegated, he’d been gone IMO. Summary, got to enjoy the moment in football. Because Tomorrow is so utterly unpredictable. Unless you’re one of the handful of super rich (refuse to use term elite, because Newcastle certainly ain’t that, nor were Man City and Chelsea) clubs who can take whatever fruit they like.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Its all smoke and mirrors. They already know who they want, and they will get the one they want.

Hardcore Chelsea-supporting mate says they knew about this last night in Zagreb and that Potter has already been lined up. Hope it isn't true but I wouldn't be surprised.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Chelsea appoint Potter, Bruno takes temporary charge of the Albion.

Chelsea sack Potter 3 weeks later due to poor results.

Brighton reappoint Potter after the international break (with a huge pay off from Chelsea)

And we then just carry on. Simples.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm still confident he will stay

- As good as GP is, Chelsea won't be able to resist a big name. Poch or Zidane for my money.
- We know TB won't roll over. If Chelsea want someone quick, I can't believe GP is the answer unless they are paying mega money.

That said, if they do cough up and he is their number one target, he's gone. As much as I dislike Chelsea, it's very hard to argue it doesn't have better pay, players and silverware prospects.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The standard way it's done is.....

Interested club ask manager (indirectly via 3rd party) who's in a job if they would be interested in X job.

Manager in job (via 3rd party) says yes or no.

Then you have the official approach.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Really ? Who are these third parties that clubs pay to tap up managers when existing managers are still in place ? - and why is it needed anyway ?

Was Potter having conversations last week about the job (and Po/zidane too ? )
What would Barber say about that ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Really ? Who are these third parties that clubs pay to tap up managers when existing managers are still in place ? - and why is it needed anyway ?

Was Potter having conversations last week about the job (and Po/zidane too ? )
What would Barber say about that ?

Do managers have agents like all the players do?

If you were GP's agent [commission and BHA loyalties notwithstanding] how / what would you advise - ooh, I feel a SWOT analysis coming on now ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here