Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Strikes

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
The Picc line is definitely going to be affected, will more than likely start to reduce the service from 12 noon, planning to have trains away and no service by 6pm. This is down to the fact that the Depot staff are Tubelines staff and therefore there wont be any coverage. The Jubilee and Northern are a different kettle of fish as it depends on a number of factors. Their depot staff are Alsthom employees who aren't on strike, so that solves that one. If Metronet can provide effective Emergency Response Unit coverage and Technical Officers of the required training then they maybe able to run a service, but they wont know that until later today, tomorrow i expect.

So basically avoid the Picc, expect disruption on the Jubilee and Northern with the possibility of no service on those two lines either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So whats this strike for then ? Better not be the tube drivers. They already get an OBSCENE amount of money for pushing a lever forward and pulling it back again.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Its got absolutely nothing to do with LUL employees, its all about the maintenance staff of Tubelines. Not really sure what its about, i'm not working, so not really fussed.

Drivers don't get 'obscene' amounts of money, they get a decent wage for the job they do. Now people like Ronaldo and Lampard....... they get obscene amounts of money.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Its got absolutely nothing to do with LUL employees, its all about the maintenance staff of Tubelines. Not really sure what its about, i'm not working, so not really fussed.

Drivers don't get 'obscene' amounts of money, they get a decent wage for the job they do. Now people like Ronaldo and Lampard....... they get obscene amounts of money.

Footballers?

Obscene money? What,for all that hard work they do??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Drivers don't get 'obscene' amounts of money, they get a decent wage for the job they do.

London tube drivers starting salary (for a 35 hour week) £32,000
Nurses starting salary (for a christ-knows-how-many hours per week) £19,000

???

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

???
Think you need to blame the government on that one.No wonder our own doctors etc go abroad and we import.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Think you need to blame the government on that one.No wonder our own doctors etc go abroad and we import.

Sure.
But its still a LOT of money for pushing a lever forwards. And then back again.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Sure.
But its still a LOT of money for pushing a lever forwards. And then back again.

They probably get 25k which is the average wage(which is bollocks if you ask me)
5K is probably London waiting time and the other 2k bumping it up to 32k is shift allowance.Thats a pure guess though.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003

???

Maybe 2 pay rises ago, more like £36-38000 these days. They advertised for 400 drivers externally at the beginning of the year and had some like 15000 applications even though it would mean extreme hours shift working.

Whats gets me is that just because public service workers such as Police, Nurses, Firefighters get rubbish wages everyone else has to. Anyone who earns more than them is guilt bound because we're not seen as valuable as them in the structure of public sector workers. Ok so the unions have held the Management to ransom sometimes and i am far from being a staunch Unionist, in fact i left the RMT just because of their 'strike first - negotiate later' attitude, but fair play to the Underground unions inc TSSA and ASLEF, they've worked hard to get their workers a decent wage and conditions.

As to driving a train, its far from just turning a handle. I'm not gonna go into the ins and outs of their job, but i'm sure people can be equally insulting about the job you do.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Give over Grizz.It's far more hazardous driving on our roads then in a electric train.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe 2 pay rises ago, more like £36-38000 these days. They advertised for 400 drivers externally at the beginning of the year and had some like 15000 applications even though it would mean extreme hours shift working.

Whats gets me is that just because public service workers such as Police, Nurses, Firefighters get rubbish wages everyone else has to. Anyone who earns more than them is guilt bound because we're not seen as valuable as them in the structure of public sector workers. Ok so the unions have held the Management to ransom sometimes and i am far from being a staunch Unionist, in fact i left the RMT just because of their 'strike first - negotiate later' attitude, but fair play to the Underground unions inc TSSA and ASLEF, they've worked hard to get their workers a decent wage and conditions.

As to driving a train, its far from just turning a handle. I'm not gonna go into the ins and outs of their job, but i'm sure people can be equally insulting about the job you do.

How many years does it take to train and qualify as a tube driver ?
Genuine question.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Where have i said that Algie mate? I'm just saying its far more than just turning a handle.

Sorry pal misread your post.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I've been corrected.
Its £36-£38k now apparently.
They do say working in London the pavements are lined with gold.I would hate to live there again or work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here