In rehab
Do you get to go to matches then Grizz?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London tube drivers starting salary (for a 35 hour week) £32,000
Nurses starting salary (for a christ-knows-how-many hours per week) £19,000

???

Add both figures together and it's fifty grand a year.

Offer Cashley Cole that for a weekly wage and he'd be grossly insulted.

Something seriously screwed up somewhere.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't see your post there Easy....... i've never trained to be a driver, but from what i recall from friends that have the whole process takes up to 6 months, that's Rules and Regs and then stock/road training.

I can see where you are going with this in regards the to the training/wage ratio and the years it take doctors and nurses to train etc but i still say why should Underground workers be ashamed of what they earn? I would love to pay those employees the same as us, i'd be quite happy if my taxes were used for that instead of being wasted, but that's something that has to be fought for. Unfortunately some of those emergency services can't withold their labour in protest and i do sympathise with them on that score, but they go into those professions knowing full well what the salaries are.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Do you get to go to matches then Grizz?

When shifts allow i do. Unfortunately we have a policy at work of not taking leave on weekends and with the vacancies we have i get around 2 or 3 weekends in 7 off at the moment. Reckon my average is 10-15 games a season at present.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Why is it scandalous? Whats wrong with having a decent wage in which to be able to live life in London on?

the revised figure of 38k is a bit better than decent, Grizz. i have lived and worked in london and you could live on PLENTY less than that.

no offence to anybody but i can't see it being the most challenging job in the world

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Thank f*** the Victoria Line aint f***ed up :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why is it scandalous? Whats wrong with having a decent wage in which to be able to live life in London on?

Does £36-£38k not seem slightly disproportionate compared with the hours and relative skills required for performing that job though ? I mean what kind of training and qualifications do you need ? Its not a completely unskilled job obviously, but sheesh. Talk about money for old rope.

I've never been able to understand why tube drivers are so richly rewarded. Amazing union I suppose.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Of course people live on plenty less, but again i'm not going to turn round and say no, don't give me a pay rise this year cos you pay me far too much money for the job i do already. As i've said before i have great sympathy for those that do live on the bread line, but that's not going to make me ashamed of what i earn.

The job is challenging in many differnet ways to that of say intellectual professions. Concentration levels have to be very high in what is a repetitive job because during rush hour trains can have up to 800-1000 people on board of who's safety the driver is responsible for. Ok so you don't have be a member of mensa to be a tube driver, but the challenges are different.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Does £36-£38k not seem slightly disproportionate compared with the hours and relative skills required for performing that job though ? I mean what kind of training and qualifications do you need ? Its not a completely unskilled job obviously, but sheesh. Talk about money for old rope.

I've never been able to understand why tube drivers are so richly rewarded. Amazing union I suppose.

I'm not going to disagree, but again why should Underground workers be sorry for what they earn. Yes i suppose a lot of it is down to the union, but then it could also be said that its down to weak management at all levels for continually giving into the RMT's demands and not standing up to them.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
i was never suggested they should be ashamed of what they earn, if that's what you're being offered then nobody in their right mind would ask for less - i just am questioning the Government's judgement here

however, i am strongly opposed to any strike actions - in any job

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not going to disagree, but again why should Underground workers be sorry for what they earn. Yes i suppose a lot of it is down to the union, but then it could also be said that its down to weak management at all levels for continually giving into the RMT's demands and not standing up to them.

Perhaps it is also due to how much pissing about with employees and what not on the railways helped lead to awful contractors and the early '00s crashs and major cock-ups on the railways(5MPH speed restrictions EVERYWHERE) that they have decided to tread more carefully now.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Of course people live on plenty less, but again i'm not going to turn round and say no, don't give me a pay rise this year cos you pay me far too much money for the job i do already. As i've said before i have great sympathy for those that do live on the bread line, but that's not going to make me ashamed of what i earn.

The job is challenging in many differnet ways to that of say intellectual professions. Concentration levels have to be very high in what is a repetitive job because during rush hour trains can have up to 800-1000 people on board of who's safety the driver is responsible for. Ok so you don't have be a member of mensa to be a tube driver, but the challenges are different.

Lets be fair here mate.You are hardly responsible for the passengers are you? You have either a conductor or someone waving a flag at you to move on.All you do is drive.I drive lorries so i can't see there being much difference.If anything i have to be much more aware then you.Surely your tubes are automatic?
Another bonus you get is free travel on buses and trains nationwide.That has to be with 10k alone each year.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
There are no conductors on Underground trains and haven't been since at least 1999 and many stations don't have platform based staff aside from at rush hour.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Good luck to you mate. You get the going rate - thanks to an almighty leg-up by a powerful union. I used to HAVE to be a member of a print union, and we always got huge rises and a half hour off the working week every year - until one year the bosses pointed out that if our hours were reduced any more we'd be classified as part-time workers :lol:

Just wish the public sector workers were able to exert the same level of muscle to give them the same kind of leg-up. Sadly tho, whenever they go on strike, only the already-disadvantaged get hurt. The suits in the City don't even notice.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Lots of misconceptions there Algie. Only on certain stations during the peak hours are their Station Assistants giving the drivers Assisted Dispatch, most of the time its just down to drivers judgement.

Only the Victoria and Central are Automatic Train Operation where the train is driven by codes in the track which talk to the onboard computers. The driver can override these and drive them manually, but that generally isn't done as far as i know. I work on the Piccadilly, so not sure. The Jubilee is being prepared for ATO, but that's a few years away yet.

I'm not a driver, i'm a Line Controller, so the overall responsibility of running the Picc is down to me and my Service Manager each shift, but the driver is solely responsible for his train and the passengers on it. If a incident happens and say a train is stalled in a tunnel or open section for any amount of time and a detrainment is required its down to the driver to supervise and prepare this until additional help is arriving.

As to free travel, i can use the Tube, Buses, trams within the London area. We get assistance with National rail season tickets, but no concessions or discounts if you joined after 1996.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Fair enough mate.Been a while since i've been on a tube.My mum use to drive buses in London many years ago and i remember her getting free travel and for her family too or partner(Can't remember)I did think about joining the buses at one point, but it's the unsocialable hours which are putting me off.
You earn a decent wage so fair doo's to you :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here