Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think what you're referring to is pretty far left. The right will show these idiots and go "look, this is what everyone on the left is like".

I believe the vast majority of centre-left people don't support cancel culture etc. I know I don't, nor do many of my friends who are majority left wing.

Centre left is where I am.

The “left” is evolving though. The amount of “lefties” increasingly getting centre stage with episodes like Ben Affleck accusing Sam Harris as a racist for his fears around islamism...unless you think Harris is right wing??...or Prof. Jordan Peterson challenging the “no platform” idiots on University campuses...unless you think his stance is right wing? It’s all getting very “right on”.

Christopher Hitchens will be turning in his grave.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
its a right load of old bollocks , the far left in the US just thought lets jog on out and cause a load of shit and get Trump out , well how has it gone so far ...?? tragic , the fact is that the unemployment figures were the best for quite some time and the expulsion of chinese imports has probably left a huge hole in the lefts' budget ......i used to fight with the skin heads and old bill in sussex back in the 80's but i'm buggered if i can get behind the angst ridden muppets who are trashing American towns ....can you imagine Brixton , Toxteth or St Pauls going on for 3 months .....wakey wakey , hand off snakey.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.

I'd describe myself as Economically right of centre (small government, low-ish tax, etc) but Socially Liberal (universal health, global outlook, environmentally responsible, pro choice, etc). I'd struggle as much to find the right person to represent me in US as I do here, possibly even more so.

But having said that, if I was in the US right now, I'd be working very hard to be leaving. Virtually anywhere in the world looks more attractive than the US to me at the moment. Going to sh*t rather quickly and I don't see how they can stop that momentum now.

I have faith in Americans, they just need to get rid of this Alt-right cabal of Trump, Pence plus the assorted crooks and weirdo’s in tow. Of course there’ll always be the racists in certain states, but they’ll be marginalised once again.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Regrettably, your social and economic aspirations are largely incompatible - if you want to have a comprehensive healthcare service, a wide trade network, strong environmental regulation, etc., you need to have a large and expensive government/state to provide it.

Balance is required, but this has not been forthcoming in the US or the UK in the past few years...

Agree... Pretty much why I feel I'm not represented. My preference requires lots of difficult decisions and compromises. Politicians are traditionally not great at either and, within the present options, f**king awful at both.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have faith in Americans, they just need to get rid of this Alt-right cabal of Trump, Pence plus the assorted crooks and weirdo’s in tow. Of course there’ll always be the racists in certain states, but they’ll be marginalised once again.

I wish I had your faith in them, but there are so so many who demonstrate the contradiction of claiming "the greatest democracy" and a pathological distrust of their own government, I believe they'll tear themselves apart.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

I have faith in SOME Americans. Mind you those I know didn’t, and wouldn’t vote for that asshat but....someone did.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree... Pretty much why I feel I'm not represented. My preference requires lots of difficult decisions and compromises. Politicians are traditionally not great at either and, within the present options, f**king awful at both.

This is the problem isn't it? Really good governance requires subtlety, humility, nuance and context. All of which have pretty much gone out of the window at the moment.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
nah , its a trump thread.

Cheers

That doesn't make sense then. I asked you what Trump and the "majority" of people's thoughts were and you said you didn't think this was the right place to answer it - make your mind up, it's either relevant to Trump, or it isn't...

In reality you were just trying to be controversial, as if you knew what the majority of people think about the BLM, without actually saying it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I wish I had your faith in them, but there are so so many who demonstrate the contradiction of claiming "the greatest democracy" and a pathological distrust of their own government, I believe they'll tear themselves apart.
its looking that way .....there are some strange forces at work over there...:mad:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Not when the US Supreme Court come out with statements like '' Racial Disparity within the Justice system is inevitable
''

When you have the Highest Court in their land coming up with Rulings like that it goes to show that the Problem of Racism in America runs through the veins of the whole country and the Supreme Court is the heart of that Racism pumping it through the whole Society.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Trump is favourite to be next president with most bookies... Mind blown.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I have faith in SOME Americans. Mind you those I know didn’t, and wouldn’t vote for that asshat but....someone did.

I have one particular friend on Facebook who is a US citizen, and she believes EVERYTHING she reads on the internet, often posting links in her timeline. Can you guess who she is proudly voting for in 8 weeks? It's fair to say she's not the brightest, but her fake-news-influenced vote counts the same as everyone else's, and there are millions of people like her over there.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have one particular friend on Facebook who is a US citizen, and she believes EVERYTHING she reads on the internet, often posting links in her timeline. Can you guess who she is proudly voting for in 8 weeks? It's fair to say she's not the brightest, but her fake-news-influenced vote counts the same as everyone else's, and there are millions of people like her over there.

I'm not sure it's a problem that is limited to the US ???

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Can’t you tell her that you’ve read on the internet that anal, given freely, is good for the complexion and turn up at hers with a bottle of Aloe oil and a “make America averagely shit again” hat on.

It sounds like all she’s good for tbh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not when the US Supreme Court come out with statements like '' Racial Disparity within the Justice system is inevitable
''

When you have the Highest Court in their land coming up with Rulings like that it goes to show that the Problem of Racism in America runs through the veins of the whole country and the Supreme Court is the heart of that Racism pumping it through the whole Society.

As ever in the US, it depends on the composition of the Supreme Court. Unfortunately, due to an ageing Court at just the wrong time, Trump was able to tip it with his people. Up until then, some remarkable liberal minded judges, great minds, had been a thorn in the side of the Right Wing for a very long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here