Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
UBI isn't a left wing idea - it's a politically neutral one. It's been strongly promoted by economists and theorists of both left and right. The conservative view is that it would reduce a lot of the state bureaucracy in providing welfare and other benefits. It would also provide a safety net for entrepreneurs wanting to start up businesses.

Yes, there are plenty of people on the left who propose it but it's by no means exclusive to them

In this example the only person who has mentioned a UBI before COVID-19 was Andrew Yang. Trump was posturing to make his 2020 campaign about how good the stock market was doing in his presidency. With the stock market losing all its gains from his presidency, with people losing jobs and being cash poor they needed a bailout package and money in people’s pockets to keep the economy going. That’s why the right were onboard with an UBI this time round to out maneuver the left. How bad does it look if the Democrats don’t agree to put money in the pockets of people in time of a crisis knowing they pick up many votes from Yang and Bernie supporters?

Also, I am not disputing that commentators on both the left and right have proposed the idea of UBI in the past. Just that US politics was so far away from this idea before COVID-19 came along.

We are all just part of political posturing with not much say.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Dr Fauci is working with Hilary Clinton and the Democrats to make Covid19 appear to be a killer virus purely to topple Trump from the Presidency.

When Trump said you’ll all be back at work and in the churches by Easter Fauci replied ".....the virus will decide that."

This evil scientist needs to be stopped.

4F6BA3FE-2B30-41B5-820B-CB5EE36F69B9.jpeg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Trump is becoming increasingly more erratic, check his Twatter feed. I don't do Twatter as you know but this is a cut and paste from a **** 2 hours ago.....

"General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!! "

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
In this example the only person who has mentioned a UBI before COVID-19 was Andrew Yang. Trump was posturing to make his 2020 campaign about how good the stock market was doing in his presidency. With the stock market losing all its gains from his presidency, with people losing jobs and being cash poor they needed a bailout package and money in people’s pockets to keep the economy going. That’s why the right were onboard with an UBI this time round to out maneuver the left. How bad does it look if the Democrats don’t agree to put money in the pockets of people in time of a crisis knowing they pick up many votes from Yang and Bernie supporters?

Also, I am not disputing that commentators on both the left and right have proposed the idea of UBI in the past. Just that US politics was so far away from this idea before COVID-19 came along.

We are all just part of political posturing with not much say.

It could be possible to counter some elements of your argument, but what we would probably agree is that we are faced with difficulties as extreme as the '30's, notwithstanding a century passing.

Time for some sort of 'New Deal', almost certainly.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Trump is becoming increasingly more erratic, check his Twatter feed. I don't do Twatter as you know but this is a cut and paste from a **** 2 hours ago.....

"General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!! "

Hes cajoling Ford into making ventilators(Resporaters or whatever they are called?), medical equipement? I dont see the problem here, hasn't the Gov here signed a contract with Dyson to produce 10,000?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hes cajoling Ford into making ventilators(Resporaters or whatever they are called?), medical equipement? I dont see the problem here, hasn't the Gov here signed a contract with Dyson to produce 10,000?

I'm just repeating the ****, in more ways than one. We seem to have come a long way since he declared that Covid-19 would "probably disappear in a few days, like it was never there " and that he had " full control" since he shut down travel from China. His use of language seems somewhat desperate to say the least for someone who said that the best way of dealing with covid-19 " Was to remain calm " .

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
UBI isn't a left wing idea - it's a politically neutral one. It's been strongly promoted by economists and theorists of both left and right. The conservative view is that it would reduce a lot of the state bureaucracy in providing welfare and other benefits. It would also provide a safety net for entrepreneurs wanting to start up businesses.

Yes, there are plenty of people on the left who propose it but it's by no means exclusive to them

I haven't seen this promoted on the right by economists. The problem is its a blunt instrument. Once you means test it and exclude those on benefits its reach becomes limited, you then have the issue of wether the money spent could be better used to help entrepeneurs in other ways(Tax breaks, easy exit bankruptcy or preferential loan rates/Enterprise zones). Andrew Yang(Who was imo the best Democrat candidate) was promoting it along the lines of a luddite argument that technology is/was going to destroy a lot of jobs. The problem is this hasn't happened as at the time unemployment was at record lows among certain groups.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
I'm just repeating the ****, in more ways than one. We seem to have come a long way since he declared that Covid-19 would "probably disappear in a few days, like it was never there " and that he had " full control" since he shut down travel from China. His use of language seems somewhat desperate to say the least for someone who said that the best way of dealing with covid-19 " Was to remain calm " .

The problem is Trump talks a type of Babble at times that then gets filtered through a hostile media. Better looking towards policy decisions and his advisors. Trump like most leaders was slow out of the traps on this. The next problem is that he, and maybe Bojo fall under the sway of prevelence arguments. These go along the lines of its spread fast, most people have had it by orders of magnitude and therefor the outcomes not that worse than flu, this is logicaly and scientificly wrong. This is dangerous and could be catastrophic.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The problem is Trump talks a type of Babble at times that then gets filtered through a hostile media. Better looking towards policy decisions and his advisors. Trump like most leaders was slow out of the traps on this. The next problem is that he, and maybe Bojo fall under the sway of prevelence arguments. These go along the lines of its spread fast, most people have had it by orders of magnitude and therefor the outcomes not that worse than flu, this is logicaly and scientificly wrong. This is dangerous and could be catastrophic.

A quick peruse through trumps twitter shows that he talks utter bollocks. Stop trying to defend the indefensible. The mans a clown and not particularly nice or funny one at that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

My post quoted Trumps own Twitter feed, no filtering through any media, just the insane babble of someone who is struggling to deal with a situation that they have no idea how to handle.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
My post quoted Trumps own Twitter feed, no filtering through any media, just the insane babble of someone who is struggling to deal with a situation that they have no idea how to handle.

You are missing a lot of information. Cant remember the name of the emergency act which has been enacted but it grants Trump a hell of a lot of executive powers, one is to declare private companies public utilities which would help explain why he can have a go at Ford now he has the authority to back it up.

He has also got the censorship algorythm used by Google lifted, you may of come across that one?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Thank goodness the rest of the world NAILED it with their response. Thank goodness the president elect Joe Biden hadn't been seen in TEN DAYS during the crisis.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You are missing a lot of information. Cant remember the name of the emergency act which has been enacted but it grants Trump a hell of a lot of executive powers, one is to declare private companies public utilities which would help explain why he can have a go at Ford now he has the authority to back it up.

He has also got the censorship algorythm used by Google lifted, you may of come across that one?

Wow ! what part of the direct, unfiltered words of Donald Trump give you the impression of his ability to deal with a crisis ? And for your delectation I will repeat it....."General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!! "

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank goodness the rest of the world NAILED it with their response. Thank goodness the president elect Joe Biden hadn't been seen in TEN DAYS during the crisis.

There's no way Biden is President Elect.

The Democratic Party's ability to choose candidates capable of losing to The Trumpster is seemingly endless.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Wow ! what part of the direct, unfiltered words of Donald Trump give you the impression of his ability to deal with a crisis ? And for your delectation I will repeat it....."General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!! "

In the United States, Ford (F) has announced that it's working with 3M and GE Healthcare to produce medical equipment including ventilators and protective gear. GM (GM) and Tesla (TSLA) have also pledged to make ventilators.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/26/...-Dn11lWmC5cd2ERcJu4vo_RAbJpxKbZv7HiUVRU0Gt9lQ

This is why support for trump is surging.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

powers that he can better employ through a written request to teh company concern. shouting in public is just act of narcissism, like he's in some sort of cartoon film.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Obviously someone has hacked The Real Donald Trumps twitter then.

Nope its Trump. Its Called the Stafford Act.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-emergency-expl-idUSKBN20Z3A6

From 12th of March.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he may declare the coronavirus pandemic an emergency by invoking a law known as the Stafford Act.

....Only the president can declare a major disaster under the law.

“We have very strong emergency powers under the Stafford Act,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday. “I have it memorized, practically, as to the powers in that act. And if I need to do something, I’ll do it. I have the right to do a lot of things that people don’t even know about.”

An emergency declaration under the National Emergencies Act unlocks sweeping presidential powers, like the ability to seize control of the internet or suspend laws, while a Stafford Act declaration deals only with FEMA. "

To get Ventilators for FEMA, the NE act deals with tech censorship.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
powers that he can better employ through a written request to teh company concern. shouting in public is just act of narcissism, like he's in some sort of cartoon film.

A public declaration of get a move on or I will sort you out carrys a lot of weight as he has a range of emergency powers to back it up. True it isn't a normal way of going about business but its how Trump rolls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here