Trouble / violence at gigs.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I grew up in Cambridge, and violence at gigs was quite common.

Buzzcocks 1978, Slits on support...Dunstable skins (!) had turned up and were causing mayhem - one got on stage and Tessa whacked him over the head with her bass. Carnage throughout, very scary for a 15 year old.

The Damned...some NF skins were 'sieg healing' at the back, and Dave Vanian encouraged the crowd to sort them out - which they did.

The Specials - in a marquee in a local park. This gig was a few days before Cambridge United were to play Coventry City. There were fans of both clubs at the gig, and it kicked off. The Specials stopped playing, refusing to carry on until the fighting stopped. When they started again it kicked off again, so the band stopped playing again...bizarrely, Terry Hall was arrested after the gig for 'Inciting a Riot'.

Gigs are so much more enjoyable these days.

Jan 30, 2008
Sham 69 still going strong Charlie Harper still struts his stuff just recently at the 100 club in London. backed by brighton young Band AMI :rock:punk::rock:
SEE SHAM DOWN CC2 a few years back BRO GOT ON STAGE FOR SOME BACKING VOCALS:rolleyes: , got a bit lively when they played borstal breakout :lolol:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
i grew up in cambridge, and violence at gigs was quite common.

Buzzcocks 1978, slits on support...dunstable skins (!) had turned up and were causing mayhem - one got on stage and tessa whacked him over the head with her bass. Carnage throughout, very scary for a 15 year old.

The damned...some nf skins were 'sieg healing' at the back, and dave vanian encouraged the crowd to sort them out - which they did.

The specials - in a marquee in a local park. This gig was a few days before cambridge united were to play coventry city. There were fans of both clubs at the gig, and it kicked off. The specials stopped playing, refusing to carry on until the fighting stopped. When they started again it kicked off again, so the band stopped playing again...bizarrely, terry hall was arrested after the gig for 'inciting a riot'.

Gigs are so much more enjoyable these days.
are they ???
regards
DR

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One of the last Jam gigs at the Brighton centre, can't remember if it was the last one or the one before, Paul Weller clouted a bouncer with a mike stand for being a bit over enthusiastic, Blondie gig in Pompey, the chairs all torn out and used as weapons by Pompey 6.57 against Southampton, again at Pompey , the Two Tone tour, the national front skinheads having a pop at Pauline Black of The Selector, and Madness, the Specials and everyone else, joining up and throwing them out.
My mate Big John getting on stage with the Members, for a sing song, when he came off, he got absolutely pummeled by about thirty punks

Jan 30, 2008
One of the last Jam gigs at the Brighton centre, can't remember if it was the last one or the one before, Paul Weller clouted a bouncer with a mike stand for being a bit over enthusiastic, Blondie gig in Pompey, the chairs all torn out and used as weapons by Pompey 6.57 against Southampton, again at Pompey , the Two Tone tour, the national front skinheads having a pop at Pauline Black of The Selector, and Madness, the Specials and everyone else, joining up and throwing them out.
My mate Big John getting on stage with the Members, for a sing song, when he came off, he got absolutely pummeled by about thirty punks
that must be the only time Southampton have turned up in Pompey then, DID BIG JOHN SAY THANKS :(
regards
DR

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
First gig I attended was the stranglers at Crawley leisure centre, as a young 15 year old back in 79/80 , witnessing the Crawley White man army skins smacking anyone not from Crawley especially Brighton seem to remember a few lads from football getting abit of a hiding, think revenge was served at a roller disco at leisure centre another time when few good boys turned up and gave Crawley a kicking.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Reading this thread, no wonder Paul Weller split up The Jam...

Jan 30, 2008
First gig I attended was the stranglers at Crawley leisure centre, as a young 15 year old back in 79/80 , witnessing the Crawley White man army skins smacking anyone not from Crawley especially Brighton seem to remember a few lads from football getting abit of a hiding, think revenge was served at a roller disco at leisure centre another time when few good boys turned up and gave Crawley a kicking.
that's how it was though, outsiders seemed fair game in those days bit like going to clare hall in Haywards heath :whistle:
regards
DR

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
that's how it was though, outsiders seemed fair game in those days bit like going to clare hall in Haywards heath :whistle:
regards
DR
Yep having to work in Crawley in later years was always lively on a night out with workmates especially as I was known Brighton . Clare hall like the martlets in b hill would always attract the local yokels looking to smack a few outsiders

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
still worth a listen now and again new rose , neat neat neat :D
regards
DR

I still like to listen to the music but as someone nearer to 50 than 40 years old going to see punk bands would seem a bit odd. * puts on slippers and lights pipe* :)

I have worked at Brian James ( original Damned member) house a few times recently, he gave me some CDs.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Specials in 81? at the Suite, around 50 fights give or take 10, absolute chaos
The Jam final gig dec 11 1982 a few rockers tried to spoil the party and luzzed a big, brown half gallon glass cider bottle, missed Wellers head by inches, he was NOT happy. The rockers first felt a fist, then a kick, then their life spun around

Jan 30, 2008
I still like to listen to the music but as someone nearer to 50 than 40 years old going to see punk bands would seem a bit odd. * puts on slippers and lights pipe* :)

I have worked at Brian James ( original Damned member) house a few times recently, he gave me some CDs.
nice one, BUT WHEN YOU THINK THAT SOME OF THE BANDS STILL GOING ARE IN THERE 60'S YOU WOULDN'T FEEL OUT OF PLACE WOULD YOU :D TIME FOR AN OLD GITS REUNION :lolol:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports