Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trouble / violence at gigs.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't there a band in the late 70s made up of members of the icf called the Cockney rejects?.....I Bet I was fun at them gigs.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well too many to mention to be honest but the top two would be.

1: Mid 90s Delmenhorst in Germany a Psychobilly weekender and the German Wreckin Crew attended who follow the Meteors, they started by threatening anyone in a different band t-shirt then if you dared start wrecking to any of the bands playing they grabbed you and would give you a smack - (I got a lovely imprint of someones chunky knuckleduster in the middle of my forehead and went flying across the dance floor) and after the gig they decided it would be a good idea fight with the German police which were at least 100 of them against the 50 or so hard core wreckin crew..... I went on for hours and made the German news in the morning whilst having breakfast I could be identified hiding in a shoe shop doorway much to the amusement of other Psychobillies staying at the same hotel watching tv.

2: 87/88 ish A Psychobilly alldayer gig in Brockley held in a hall at the back of a pub the gig started about 3pm and many Psychobillies were drinking in the pub and started to arrive from about midday. It turned out it was a Millwall pub and they started to arrive in numbers a few exchange of views were swapped but nothing happened and the gig started and nothing seemed like it would happen as the night wore on a few people left early before the gig finished. The Meteors were headlining and all of a sudden people were talking of the early leavers getting beaten up by Millwall outside, this quickly got to the stage when P.Paul. Fenech the lead singer stopped playing had a little chat with some people at the side (The road crew and Wreckin Crew) He walked upto the microphone and said "there are Psychobillies getting beaten up outside by cowards we are going out to sort them out if you wanna come..... Come on" the whole place emptied and a full scale riot ensued it was carnage outside and the Millwall ran.

There have been plenty of others, it is not as prevalent as the 80s & 90s but can still happen especially in Europe..

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I saw a few fights in the Brighton Centre in the late 70s early 80s.
Madness- a big group of skinheads including a Buster Blood vessel lookalike, giving anyone nearby a slap.
The Jam- a fight in front of the stage, I'm sure Weller had a shout at the lads fighting.

Toyah- I was upstairs in the seats for this gig and I had a clear view of the fans standing watching downstairs, some bloke suddenly kicked off and took on anyone that wanted a fight, this seemed to go on for ages.

I don't remember any fighting at a The Dome, Jenkinsons or Top Rank.
The only other venue I saw a fight was at a small club in Grand Parade called The Basement( I think), some huge mad punk just attacked some poor bloke minding his own business, I think it was the Theatre Of Hate gig or UK Decay, long time ago.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Were you at the Buzzcocks gig at the Top Rank in 78?/79?

Steve Diggle got a full beer can in his groin, the band went off.

Then it kicked off. I remember walking up to the Clock Tower and a massive (about 7ft?) speaker was being liberated up the road.

The there was the Clash at Crawley Leisure Centre in '78, Suicide supporting, Coventry Automatics (later to become The Specials) 3rd on the bill. For some reason Jimmy Pursey was there amd did the vocals on White Riot during the encore.

Suicide lasted about 2 numbers before the skins got on stage and proceed to wrap the singers microphone lead round his neck!

The buzzcocks gig was my first at the age of 14. Very entertaining to say the least.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Funny you should mention it - In 16 years of religous gig going encompassing metal, noise, indie, dance, punk from 100 capacity toilets to festival headlines I've never really seen any trouble.

Then last night at Slint (who are the least likely band to have people fighting) I witnessed a "fight." Handbags really, I'm sure they'll be some far fruitier stories out there.

That did not constitute trouble / violence at a gig. A bit of shoving and lots of people shouting ay, ay and all over in seconds.

Great gig though wasn't it?

Jan 30, 2008
Was having a conversation at work earlier with colleagues on this very topic.
We spoke about the likes of the Specials and Sham 69, where it seemed as though trouble at these gigs was the norm.
My mate was saying that the Jam gigs could also be a little lively and he said his best friend had his nose broken at one of their gigs.
Just wondering if anyone over the years had witnessed or heard stories on this topic and would like to share them with us.
yeah, Damned, cockney rejects both top rank , ruts at the art college grand parade fighting with Cambridge skins also up in London with test tube babies on support line up with barney rubble, east london skins getting stuck in OUTSIDE after the gig ,also uk subs at the crown in HAILSHAM mate got coshed over the head by one of there roadies :rolleyes: also at sussex university Falmer campus fighting breaks out Lewes skins getting involved :facepalm:
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
yeah, Damned, cockney rejects both top rank , ruts at the art college grand parade fighting with Cambridge skins also up in London with test tube babies on support line up with barney rubble, east london skins getting stuck in OUTSIDE after the gig ,also uk subs at the crown in HAILSHAM mate got coshed over the head by one of there roadies :rolleyes: also at sussex university Falmer campus fighting breaks out Lewes skins getting involved :facepalm:
regards
DR

Lewes Skins ??? Now Lewes and Skins isn't something that usually go together! :glare:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It nutted off proper spastic mentals at a Tiffany gig, I was at. :lol:

Not so much riot mental but I do remember a couple of outstanding pieces of violence.

1 - Joe Strummer @ The Dome.
A group of us were down the front, off to the side.
Behind us was a group of old skool Brighton punks we knew of from plenty of other gigs.
A fella who wasn't a roadie, but a wannabe roadie, was stood on stage next to the speaker stacks.
Every time some had got on stage and was forced off our way matey would give them a final push onto us, and the gang behind.
After a few times and even some pleasant requests to stop we'd had enough.
The next time matey ventured to the edge of the stage me and a mate grabbed him by the belt and hauled him down.
He landed over us into the pit of old skool punks.
I have never seen so many Doc Martins wade into one man so quickly, he took an absolute shoeing.

2 - The Macc Lads Worthing.
In a similar vein, the roadies were either ex squaddies or a Freddie Mercury tribute act.
Anyhoo they were mentals, anyone on stage was violently removed.
Fella gets up on stage, stands right on the edge with his back to the crowd.
Roadie comes over and fella catches him with the cleanest jaw breaking punch I have ever seen.
In true 'toon fashion roadies jaw moved a foot across from his head.
Fella waves goodbye to the rest of the now marauding roadies, and jumps back into the crowd.

Happy days.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sham 69 still going strong Charlie Harper still struts his stuff just recently at the 100 club in London. backed by brighton young Band AMI :rock:punk::rock:

Jan 30, 2008
wasn't there a band in the late 70s made up of members of the icf called the cockney rejects?.....i bet i was fun at them gigs.
the one i attended the top rank was a bit surreal as nearly everyone stood around the edge of the main floor in front of the stage:guns:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here