Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Trouble accessing NSC from iPhone browser

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep - sorry Bozza. I've cleared everything (multiple times) and getting the Bad Request message.

Chrome on a Samsung mobile.

(working fine on my laptop on Chrome)
Still problems here - on Firefox I get this message::

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) Server at northstandchat.com Port 80

(I'm on NSC here through 'Avast Secure Browser' which somehow has recently popped up on my laptop, and appears to have become the browser which automatically opens first).

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Nope....not working on my Android phone. Frustrating as I'm not a techie and not back to the UK until the end of the month. Why do people find it necessary to keep tinkering with a system that appeared to be fine...?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Bozza I am on chrome book and I couldn’t get on site at all. Cleared cookies etc and now on site but getting the bad request page every time I click on a thread??!

Yep - sorry Bozza. I've cleared everything (multiple times) and getting the Bad Request message.

Chrome on a Samsung mobile.

(working fine on my laptop on Chrome)

Still problems here - on Firefox I get this message::

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) Server at northstandchat.com Port 80

(I'm on NSC here through 'Avast Secure Browser' which somehow has recently popped up on my laptop, and appears to have become the browser which automatically opens first).

Nope....not working on my Android phone. Frustrating as I'm not a techie and not back to the UK until the end of the month. Why do people find it necessary to keep tinkering with a system that appeared to be fine...?
On the exact device and browser that is currently not working, can you please open a new private/incognito window and navigate to NSC. I'd be amazed if it doesn't work, which will prove that it's an issue with your main current browser, and that's what we need to resolve.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
On the exact device and browser that is currently not working, can you please open a new private/incognito window and navigate to NSC. I'd be amazed if it doesn't work, which will prove that it's an issue with your main current browser, and that's what we need to resolve.
Thankyou for that advice. After being offered VPNs etc etc I have downloaded Opera which now appears to work. The browser ( ?) that wasn't working was Google...I think...?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thankyou for that advice. After being offered VPNs etc etc I have downloaded Opera which now appears to work. The browser ( ?) that wasn't working was Google...I think...?
OK - on Google Chrome the following WILL fix it. I've just talked someone through the same on twitter and it did he trick...

1. Go to Settings > Privacy and security > Clear browsing data > Advanced

2. Check Cookies and other site data

3. Click Clear data

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 21.20.14.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have tried that - but it has rejected the saved(?) password. I've gone to reset the password, and I get an email sent to me to reset it - but when I click on the link to do that. I just get Bad Question 400 again! Looks like I'll have to carry on using a browser I never wanted in the first place! Cheers anyway.

P.S. It appears that it's only my access to NSC that's affected.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Access, following advice on here is fine. Noticed that a blue sideways Privacy Tab has appeared and won’t disappear (even after interacting with it to update preferences. Is there anyway to remove it from view?

7EBF561B-35C5-4294-8A5E-A861662D8CAC.jpeg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A little bit late now, I appreciate, but on desktop Safari you can clear for a specific site.

Settings / Privacy / Manage website data

Start typing the name of the site in the search box, select it and then click remove.

View attachment 160436
Damn didn’t see this earlier so just cleared history. My wordle year long record is now in the past. Probably for the best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have tried that - but it has rejected the saved(?) password. I've gone to reset the password, and I get an email sent to me to reset it - but when I click on the link to do that. I just get Bad Question 400 again! Looks like I'll have to carry on using a browser I never wanted in the first place! Cheers anyway.

P.S. It appears that it's only my access to NSC that's affected.
Right - but NSC opened fine on the private/incognito window?

Clicking on a link in your email would render your usual browser which is erroring as we know.

But the fact NSC opened in the private/incognito window proves that the issue is with your primary regular non-private browser window hanging onto something it should be.

What browser are you using as your regular main browser?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Right - but NSC opened fine on the private/incognito window?

Clicking on a link in your email would render your usual browser which is erroring as we know.

But the fact NSC opened in the private/incognito window proves that the issue is with your primary regular non-private browser window hanging onto something it should be.

What browser are you using as your regular main browser?
Eventually found a ink to 'clear history' (on Firefox) - such high level IT skills are normally a hidden mystery to me! Now working OK - touch wood!

:thumbsup:

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Sorry - this was caused by some back-end stuff I was doing yesterday. To solve it...

Go into settings / safari / clear history and website data
On my iPad, doing this cleared everything, so if you value your Wordle stats perhaps try this first…

Settings -> Safari -> Advanced (right at the bottom) -> Website data -> Edit (at the top of the screen) -> delete northstandchat.com -> done

It may or may not work because I tried the more nuclear option as suggested by @Bozza before finding this option, but this seems more granular and may save some cookies, etc that you may wish to maintain

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Trouble is if you only access NSC via your phone, you'll probably just assume the site is down. Like I did all day yesterday until I went looking for clues on the NSC twitter feed (which up until yesterday I never knew existed). Luckily somebody on there was asking if the site was down, and got provided with the solution. Hurrah!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I had to create a new NSC icon on my phone home page as the existing one insisted on bad-requesting no matter what I tried, but that fixed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here