Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trooping the Colour - where do the squaddies get relief?

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Just watching the TV highlights of this morning's ceremony in central London and that doyen of broadcasting Huw Edwards said that many of the soldiers on duty would have been involved for anything up to SIX hours after leaving their barracks.

Assuming they can't break ranks at any time, what on earth do they do about dealing with 'toilet needs' etc?

Even though I guess most of them are young blokes, six hours is a hell of a time to try and last out - wonder if anyone has ever wet themselves at such an event? :blush:

In all seriousness, anyone genuinely know how they cope?

I lined the streets for Lady Di's wedding. We had to stand for 4 hours, moving about twice. We trained for a month before hand. Every morning just standing in full blues for hours on end. I remember the hardiest thing was to step off again after not moving for so long. It felt like all the blood had left my legs.

We were placed at four pace intervals along the route, the person about five along from me was place opposite a clock. Imagine how those four hours must of flied by?

As a foot note, if anyone can remember the wedding, I was stood very close to the place Spike Milligan got out of his car and started messing about with the crowd.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Its called self discipline or mind over matter knowing that you cannot just go you make yourself cope with it/. When you first join up they show you many films about Army life and one has always stuck in my mind. Two mates talking, look out of the window and see a soldier going to the latrines and one says to the other "it must be 8 o clock as there is Tommy going to the toilet. The moral being regularity and timing.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
'Squaddie' is a general term for an NC infantryman, though it's occasionally used by civvies to describe any military personnel.

I'm from the RAF Regiment, referred to as a Squaddie and refer to others as Squaddies. Never derogatory. Although I can imagine the odd Officer or desk jockey might get the hump with it.

markychap

Feb 1, 2010
Seaford
I lined the streets for Lady Di's wedding. We had to stand for 4 hours, moving about twice. We trained for a month before hand. Every morning just standing in full blues for hours on end. I remember the hardiest thing was to step off again after not moving for so long. It felt like all the blood had left my legs.

We were placed at four pace intervals along the route, the person about five along from me was place opposite a clock. Imagine how those four hours must of flied by?

As a foot note, if anyone can remember the wedding, I was stood very close to the place Spike Milligan got out of his car and started messing about with the crowd.

I admire that, I really do. Did you not even get a drink or some sort of refreshment during that period?

markychap

Feb 1, 2010
Seaford
He wants to try doing it in a tunic and bearskin or a greatcoat on a hot spring day and then come back and moan.

I read it as just setting out the circumstances rather than having a moan, but fascinating to hear, whatever.

The bearskin must be almost unbearable in humid conditions and those boots always look hot and heavy too. I guessing fear of fainting on parade must be as big an issue as coping with bodily functions and trying to maintain the required dignity.

Great respect to you all, though, for how immaculate it always looks.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
'Squaddie' is a general term for an NC infantryman, though it's occasionally used by civvies to describe any military personnel.

I'm from the RAF Regiment, referred to as a Squaddie and refer to others as Squaddies. Never derogatory. Although I can imagine the odd Officer or desk jockey might get the hump with it.
Wrong picture how do I get rid of this attacbed thumbnail ??

Last edited:

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
He wants to try doing it in a tunic and bearskin or a greatcoat on a hot spring day and then come back and moan.

The Army was also present street lining that day. If my memory serves me right they were dropping like flies.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Didn’t one of the soldiers pass out once? I saw it in a postcard.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
The noise of somebody collapsing/fainting is incredible. I have seen a full forward no hands straight on the chin drop. The thud that comes from that is loud. I don't know how the bloke I saw do it did not break his jaw or lose teeth. He was a Geordie though, well hard.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
With regard to the STAB thing,the TA used to call us Arabs (Arrogant Regular Army B******s):blush:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

10553_10200933726459380_2122627774_n.jpg

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

995319_10151408336376891_591473822_n (1).jpg970198_10200933725299351_1765749926_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here