Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trooping the Colour - where do the squaddies get relief?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've always wondered what people who go to all the trouble of getting front row barrier positions at massive all day stadium gigs like Live Aid at Wembley do. Do they just dehydrate themselves for two days beforehand to avoid relinquishing their hard earned position to go for a pee?

markychap

Feb 1, 2010
Seaford
I've always wondered what people who go to all the trouble of getting front row barrier positions at massive all day stadium gigs like Live Aid at Wembley do. Do they just dehydrate themselves for two days beforehand to avoid relinquishing their hard earned position to go for a pee?

I once spent about five hours at a beer/folk festival near Munich and didn't go for a wee once - although I was a bit drunk, so perhaps I did and didn't notice!!

:cheers:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I take it you mean Soldiers! Such a derogatory word Squaddie.

Whoops, thought we were all ex-squaddies, damn I've been being derogatory to myself for years ... I'm going to sue me!

Last edited:

franks brother

Just how many theatres of war or tours of duty has old Charlie boy undertaken on behalf of this glorious country?

Judging by the medals that adorn the chest of his outfit at yesterday's 'Trooping The Colour' the old boy has served in just about every conflict since WW2.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Presumably they sort of learn to adapt and have a strong bladder?

Anyone who works in a job where you might be stuck in a particular spot for hours on end learns to take tactical breaks whenever you can, as you never know when the next one might arise :)

markychap

Feb 1, 2010
Seaford
Just how many theatres of war or tours of duty has old Charlie boy undertaken on behalf of this glorious country?

Judging by the medals that adorn the chest of his outfit at yesterday's 'Trooping The Colour' the old boy has served in just about every conflict since WW2.

...more to the point, how does Prince Edward justify turning out in a military uniform adorned with a row of medals?!!

I don't get that one, at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. Even John Terry would feel a momentary pang of doubt at wearing the colours (with or without shinpads) shirley?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just watching the TV highlights of this morning's ceremony in central London and that doyen of broadcasting Huw Edwards said that many of the soldiers on duty would have been involved for anything up to SIX hours after leaving their barracks.

Assuming they can't break ranks at any time, what on earth do they do about dealing with 'toilet needs' etc?

Even though I guess most of them are young blokes, six hours is a hell of a time to try and last out - wonder if anyone has ever wet themselves at such an event? :blush:

In all seriousness, anyone genuinely know how they cope?

Discipline my man!

I often work from 8-6 without a pee. Probably have serious bladder issues to come though.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
...more to the point, how does Prince Edward justify turning out in a military uniform adorned with a row of medals?!!

I don't get that one, at all.

You are not the only one, with his remarkable military service history record! I LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I saw him in the carriage with his funny hat.

o-QUEEN-570.jpg

You are not the only one, with his remarkable military service history record! I LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I saw him in the carriage with his funny hat.

View attachment 43861
He's a highly decorated individual.

Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO)
Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO)
Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)
Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG)
Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The Queen (AdC(P))
Honorary Member of the Saskatchewan Order of Merit (SOM)
Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
New Zealand Commemorative Medal
Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan
Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

And he's a massive celebrity in Saskatchewan.

To say nothing of the fact that he could soon be the Duke of Edinburgh.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
From memory,you sweat enough in dress uniform not to need a pee till you've had a few in the squadron bar afterwards!By the way,'green slime' usually refers to the Intelligence Corps-bit of an oxymoron with us squaddies,ex and serving:)

leelee

Oct 25, 2003
Interesting topic. My brother is in the TA and he reckons that if someone did actually have an accident during something like the Trooping of the Colour, they'd almost certainly be disciplined. Sounds harsh, assuming its true.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
From memory,you sweat enough in dress uniform not to need a pee till you've had a few in the squadron bar afterwards!By the way,'green slime' usually refers to the Intelligence Corps-bit of an oxymoron with us squaddies,ex and serving:)

I know what green slime means , a dim and distant memory tells me that Sergei is in the int corps ,that's why I said it .

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Interesting topic. My brother is in the TA and he reckons that if someone did actually have an accident during something like the Trooping of the Colour, they'd almost certainly be disciplined. Sounds harsh, assuming its true.

Ask your brother what STAB means, cos that's what he is.

PS is he Gareth from the office?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's a highly decorated individual.

Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO)
Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO)
Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)
Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG)
Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty The Queen (AdC(P))
Honorary Member of the Saskatchewan Order of Merit (SOM)
Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
New Zealand Commemorative Medal
Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
Commemorative Medal for the Centennial of Saskatchewan
Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

And he's a massive celebrity in Saskatchewan.

To say nothing of the fact that he could soon be the Duke of Edinburgh.

Obviously richly deserved.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here