Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Rome

..................And I rank Siena as the finest city in the world - well worth a visit. But ... whilst it's two hours south of Florence, it's only nearer Rome if you are driving. Train access to Siena involves a slow train for the last few hours (wherever you change - Grosseto, Chiusi or Florence itself), which can bite into your holiday time, if you're on a tight schedule.............

Seconded, went there for a day trip from Florence when on honeymoon and liked it so much that we went back the following year and stayed for a week - lovely place. Went on several bus trips to surrounding towns which are lovely, but smaller, most well know of them is San Gimignano with its towers.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Hi,

I have been to Rome on a good few occasions, its my fave city by far.

First, I would forget Pisa, the town really is a shithole, after you've seen the tower (1 hour) there is nothing else there, If you are in that area, the old roman walled town of Lucca is 20 mins away, spend the day here, Pisa town is very shit and rough.

Florence whilst nice is not as nice as Rome, and if knowing what I know, I was your travel agent! I'd suggest combining Rome (you need at least 3 days) with Siena. Siena is gorgeous, a must see, like a large Italian version of the Lanes, and its 2 hours south of Florence and 2 hours nearer Rome.

As for Rome, there are lots of areas, I'd stay away from hotels near Termini rail station, there are some rougher streets around there.

Many of the main sight seeing stuff is in the old pedestrian streeted central quarter, Centro Storico, anything around Piazza's Navonna or Campo Fiore is good location wise, I stayed in 2007 in a good value, good 3 star, literally right next to the Pantheon,great location. Hotel was called Albergo Santa Chiarra. Its a good location for all the site seeing stuff, though the restaurants/shops are all geared at tourists with tourist prices, its tourist Rome 101.

Last time in 2013, I got a tip off an italian work friend to stay in Trastevere, which I did, its literally just the other side of River Tiber from Centro Storico, 15 mins walk to vatican, 10 mins to Pantehon, and it is a buzzing area where many bohemian and cool Italians live, full of real italian restaurants, bars etc, very charming and lively This is where Romans go, and clued up tourists will! prices are better, atmosphere fantastic, its still central and its a bit like the Notting Hill meets Camden Town of Rome.

We booked an apartment through airbnb, with a quiet courtyard and pool but as soon as you step outside its straight into the throng of real Rome! £80 a night, Will def stay here again. But airbnb has 100s of places for all budgets.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1168800

You'll love rome, if you need any more info PM if you like. Merry Christmas

Just thought I would say thankyou for your tips. Just got back and we stayet in Trastevere - fantastic place and we will be going back there as often as we can. We also booked through Airbnb thanks to your tip and stayed in a wonderful apartment. I eventually booked 3 nights in each of Rome, Florence and Venice.

Rome is now our favourite city, Florence was ok and Venice was fantastic.

Thanks again for your tips.

PS. We did not see any sign of pickpockets throughout our whole trip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here