Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Rome

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Another day for the Coliseum and Roman Forum - you can get one ticket that will cover both if you go in the same day, which works out much cheaper than doing each separately.
This. Go to Palatine Hill, show your driving licence, passport, anything to show you are not Italian and you will get a ticket to Palatine Hill with a free one for the Coliseum. I think I paid around £7 but was about 5-6 years ago.

Pisa is ok, Florence and Siena are lovely.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Probably been already said but rail tickets are cheap as feck in Italy, so if you are planning on doing some excursions as said, don't get sucked into anything other than turning up at the station on the day and getting it from the machine. (Slight exaggeration, there may be some good cheap advance tickets like here, but my experience is that you wouldn't need to bother with that). I certainly wouldn't travel any other way though.

Sicily is in effect a country in itself that deserves a 1-2 week holiday.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Rome is great but very hectic, three days at the most would be my recomendation and plan what you want to do. St Peters and Vactican museum could be a whole day trip. Collisiuem, Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona another. Don't try and over do it.

Italy has excellent rail links, not been to Florence so cannot say much about the area but I believe you have to book ahead for the Uffizi.

Venice and Verona would make a good two centre stay but quite a train ride from Rome. Both are far more laid back than Rome.

Stayed in Sciliy in Taormina which was fantastic but it's more of a week break and a flight from Rome.

Someone else mentioned Monte Cassino on the outskirts of Rome. It's a nice place plenty of WWII history, easy to get to by train. Has the famous monastry and is a place the popes used to go to to escape the heat of Rome in years past.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hi All

Looking to take the wife to Rome in May or June as a surprise, but just wanted some of your knowledge on the place.

We will visit the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Colliseum etc but how long do you need in Rome? I know there are plenty of other places to visit which I will look into. It would be nice to maybe also take a trip to Florence and Pisa if this is doable. Budget about £1000 total ( plus spending money )

My wife would love to go to Sicily but we would not fit it all in.

I expect many of you have been there so would be good to get first hand opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have been to Rome on a good few occasions, its my fave city by far.

First, I would forget Pisa, the town really is a shithole, after you've seen the tower (1 hour) there is nothing else there, If you are in that area, the old roman walled town of Lucca is 20 mins away, spend the day here, Pisa town is very shit and rough.

Florence whilst nice is not as nice as Rome, and if knowing what I know, I was your travel agent! I'd suggest combining Rome (you need at least 3 days) with Siena. Siena is gorgeous, a must see, like a large Italian version of the Lanes, and its 2 hours south of Florence and 2 hours nearer Rome.

As for Rome, there are lots of areas, I'd stay away from hotels near Termini rail station, there are some rougher streets around there.

Many of the main sight seeing stuff is in the old pedestrian streeted central quarter, Centro Storico, anything around Piazza's Navonna or Campo Fiore is good location wise, I stayed in 2007 in a good value, good 3 star, literally right next to the Pantheon,great location. Hotel was called Albergo Santa Chiarra. Its a good location for all the site seeing stuff, though the restaurants/shops are all geared at tourists with tourist prices, its tourist Rome 101.

Last time in 2013, I got a tip off an italian work friend to stay in Trastevere, which I did, its literally just the other side of River Tiber from Centro Storico, 15 mins walk to vatican, 10 mins to Pantehon, and it is a buzzing area where many bohemian and cool Italians live, full of real italian restaurants, bars etc, very charming and lively This is where Romans go, and clued up tourists will! prices are better, atmosphere fantastic, its still central and its a bit like the Notting Hill meets Camden Town of Rome.

We booked an apartment through airbnb, with a quiet courtyard and pool but as soon as you step outside its straight into the throng of real Rome! £80 a night, Will def stay here again. But airbnb has 100s of places for all budgets.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1168800

You'll love rome, if you need any more info PM if you like. Merry Christmas

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I took my wife to Rome last year for her birthday - we had 3 days there and that was almost enough - there's a hell of a lot of walking to do ! We stayed up near the Vatican City so were a little way out of the real centre. The Vatican City is incredible - I'm not religious nor am I an art buff but the art there is amazing. We did a guided tour - I forget how much it was but we did see pretty much everything that you can. Never got to the Colosseum - I think you probably need 1/2 day on that alone - still it means we have to go back !! Good luck - it is an amazing city. We went in November and never got hassled or pickpocketed and the weather was still warm enough for just a T shirt.
Whetted my appetite for Italy as this was the first time we'd been so I want to go to Florence now !!

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
Best advice given to me re the Vatican. Get there around 2:30. I did just that and there was no more than a 3 min queue. But not sure if that will be the case in June.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Florence 2 nights then down to Perugia (beautiful but not so well known ) for 2 nights where you can have a day in nearby Assissi and then 3 days in Rome and fly back from there.

My mums family all came fron nearby Perugia so I have a soft spot for it. Gorgeous old city - look it up.

Also of course it's a fairly direct route so no zig zagging between cities and as previously stated their trains are cheap and reliable.

Last edited:

Florence whilst nice is not as nice as Rome, and if knowing what I know, I was your travel agent! I'd suggest combining Rome (you need at least 3 days) with Siena. Siena is gorgeous, a must see, like a large Italian version of the Lanes, and its 2 hours south of Florence and 2 hours nearer Rome.
I would rank Florence above Rome, but that is probably more of a judgment on the relative merits of ancient Rome (dull) and the renaissance delights of Florence (delightful).

And I rank Siena as the finest city in the world - well worth a visit. But ... whilst it's two hours south of Florence, it's only nearer Rome if you are driving. Train access to Siena involves a slow train for the last few hours (wherever you change - Grosseto, Chiusi or Florence itself), which can bite into your holiday time, if you're on a tight schedule.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not obvious things to see in Rome but The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa by Bernini at the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria is well worth a visit, supposed to show the Subject in the throws of an orgasm in her dedication to Christ.
When you visit St Peters it's worth paying to take the lift to the top of the dome as the views are outstanding over the city. I'm going to have to plan another visit to Italy myself:)
We also stayed in the Trastevere area and it was an easy walk into the city, don't remember the name of the hotel but the area is very nice.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We drove to Greece going through Pisa and other than the tower there was not much to see, just like any other town in Italy. We dud like visiting the wine and cheese cellars at Montepulciano.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Hi,

I have been to Rome on a good few occasions, its my fave city by far.

First, I would forget Pisa, the town really is a shithole, after you've seen the tower (1 hour) there is nothing else there, If you are in that area, the old roman walled town of Lucca is 20 mins away, spend the day here, Pisa town is very shit and rough.

As for Rome, there are lots of areas, I'd stay away from hotels near Termini rail station, there are some rougher streets around there.

Many of the main sight seeing stuff is in the old pedestrian streeted central quarter, Centro Storico, anything around Piazza's Navonna or Campo Fiore is good location wise, I stayed in 2007 in a good value, good 3 star, literally right next to the Pantheon,great location. Hotel was called Albergo Santa Chiarra. Its a good location for all the site seeing stuff, though the restaurants/shops are all geared at tourists with tourist prices, its tourist Rome 101.

Last time in 2013, I got a tip off an italian work friend to stay in Trastevere, which I did, its literally just the other side of River Tiber from Centro Storico, 15 mins walk to vatican, 10 mins to Pantehon, and it is a buzzing area where many bohemian and cool Italians live, full of real italian restaurants, bars etc, very charming and lively This is where Romans go, and clued up tourists will! prices are better, atmosphere fantastic, its still central and its a bit like the Notting Hill meets Camden Town of Rome.

We booked an apartment through airbnb, with a quiet courtyard and pool but as soon as you step outside its straight into the throng of real Rome! £80 a night, Will def stay here again. But airbnb has 100s of places for all budgets.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1168800

You'll love rome, if you need any more info PM if you like. Merry Christmas

Ridiculous. At Pisa there is also the Baptistry, cathedral, catacombs and the town is quite nice too. Many hours needed.

We need to keep our fingers crossed that the area between Florence and Siena remains undamaged by earthquakes. Things aren't looking good at the moment, given that one sign that often predicts a major earthquake is a series of small tremors occurring at frequent intervals.

Last week (between 18 and 21 December), mainly in the Chianti area, there were 79 recorded tremors in four days.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Ridiculous. At Pisa there is also the Baptistry, cathedral, catacombs and the town is quite nice too. Many hours needed.

There is and they're generally boring inside and heaving with tourists. I lived here for 9 months and pisa town is most definitely a bit of a dump. The Op is on a tight schedule and up against Rome and florence you suggest to take time in Pisa. Most people I know who've been, do pisa on the day they leave via Pisa airport. It's more than enough. How can u begin to compare pisa vs Florence, Rome, siena or even nearby lucca. You've either not travelled Italy much or would suggest Croydon as an interesting architectural experience worthy of hours exploring to the first time London visitor.

From someone who lived there. Pisa city is a dump, the tower, cathedral area is small/compact vert busy and nothing compared to florence,Rome,siena or lucca. The city is awful, the OP can Google himself

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We need to keep our fingers crossed that the area between Florence and Siena remains undamaged by earthquakes. Things aren't looking good at the moment, given that one sign that often predicts a major earthquake is a series of small tremors occurring at frequent intervals.

Last week (between 18 and 21 December), mainly in the Chianti area, there were 79 recorded tremors in four days.

Didnt know that :-( the drive from the cute little town of greve in chianti to siena is truly beautiful. The wine, as I guess you know, is cheap and wonderful. Would be a tragedy if such a stunning area is partially ruined

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Hi All

Looking to take the wife to Rome in May or June as a surprise, but just wanted some of your knowledge on the place.

We will visit the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City, Colliseum etc but how long do you need in Rome? I know there are plenty of other places to visit which I will look into. It would be nice to maybe also take a trip to Florence and Pisa if this is doable. Budget about £1000 total ( plus spending money )

My wife would love to go to Sicily but we would not fit it all in.

I expect many of you have been there so would be good to get first hand opinions.

Thanks in advance.

the pope comes out to speak at 12pm on wednesdays and sundays. at st.peters square. we listened for 5 mins and took advantage of no queue (because everyone is listening to him!) to go into st.peters basilica.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
There is more than enough to do in Rome for a 5 day trip on its own. I would suggest ignoring the rushing around ticking boxes to ensure you have 'done' everything before the next town. Just go and take it gently, it can get very hot in June, and enjoy the sights the food the wine and atmosphere. The Underground is the best way to get to places beyond walking
Get her to take you to Florence next year, then a fortnight on the best beaches in Europe in Sardinia and so on
My (current) top 10
1 Sardinia
2 Florence
3 Rome
4 Amalfi
5 Pompeii
6 Venice
7 Verona
8 Milan
9 Cervinia - Matterhorn
10 Ravello

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Thank you everyone for your insights. Very helpful. The trastavere area looks interesting. I will probably book a return flight from London to Rome and then go to Florence for a couple of nights but still open to different options.

Didnt know that :-( the drive from the cute little town of greve in chianti to siena is truly beautiful. The wine, as I guess you know, is cheap and wonderful. Would be a tragedy if such a stunning area is partially ruined
Indeed. Nearly all of the recent tremors have been within a couple of miles of Greve.

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/1272297

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
For the BEST gilato there is a place opposite hotel Leon (where we stayed) it is seriously worth the trip! Never had ice cream like it and probably never will again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here