Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tried & Tested.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
TIRED AND TESTING did you say :whistle:

Expecting nothing less, at Molineux it was a triumphant return to what we do best.
It almost came off again at Spurs too, but this style of football is not recommended if you want to progress as a club.

Up the Albion

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
After reading this in The Argus I feel more depressed than ever. He is obviously one stubborn so and so and totally believes in his negative tactics, even if it means he's sacked. I don't hold out much hope for anything we do in all honesty.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
After reading this in The Argus I feel more depressed than ever. He is obviously one stubborn so and so and totally believes in his negative tactics, even if it means he's sacked. I don't hold out much hope for anything we do in all honesty.

Do you honestly think with more attacking tactics we would have got more than a point from the last 2 games? Not pretty but spot on for the circumstances we are in.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Most people seem to want hughton out because of his negative tactics.
This is missing the point.
This season we have tried a 4-3-3 formation which is more offensive.
As stat brother said, possibly a (in hindsight , laughable) attempt to do a Liverpool.
The problem is the new players haven’t been up to it.
So hughton has gone back to the containing style which was reasonably successful last season.
Point being - he probably doesn’t want to play this boring style, he’s just doing what he can with the limited players at his disposal.
As for who is responsible for the signings - hughton May have final say but imo it comes back to the much-vaunted recruitment team, which has largely identified duffers.
If we stay up and can make some decent signings , hughton deserves the chance to have another go at the 4-3-3

Excellent post.
We went 433 to try and score more goals away from home. It worked to start with- we scored more in Jan away than in 3 months before that. Problem was it was at the detriment to the defence that were no longer being supported as much. The conceding of goals then seemed to affect the confidence.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Do you honestly think with more attacking tactics we would have got more than a point from the last 2 games? Not pretty but spot on for the circumstances we are in.

CH said:
What we would all love to do is have the best players, the biggest finances, to be able to play in a way that is expansive and open with strikers who can score at will.

So what was the Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff excuse? All on very similar budgets. We hardly played football in them either, and all at home. You won't convince me and neither will he. One trick pony, one tunnel vision.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
CH said:

So what was the Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff excuse? All on very similar budgets. We hardly played football in them either, and all at home. You won't convince me and neither will he. One trick pony, one tunnel vision.

Southampton and Bournemouth have much bigger budgets than us. They have been in the Premier League for years which makes a massive difference to budgets.
Having said that those 3 games were awful but the players have to take responsibility as well. Whatever you think of CH tactics he certainly does not tell them to pass the ball out of play or straight to the opposition.

Were you calling CH a 1 trick pony when we stayed up last year? When we scored 3 past Man Utd in the first half this season? How about when we got promoted playing attacking football and scoring goals?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Southampton and Bournemouth have much bigger budgets than us. They have been in the Premier League for years which makes a massive difference to budgets.
Having said that those 3 games were awful but the players have to take responsibility as well. Whatever you think of CH tactics he certainly does not tell them to pass the ball out of play or straight to the opposition.

Were you calling CH a 1 trick pony when we stayed up last year? When we scored 3 past Man Utd in the first half this season? How about when we got promoted playing attacking football and scoring goals?

Forget the Championship, that is history and a different level of football. I remember watching us in our first game in the PL and looking like rabbits in headlights v Man City, that has proven to be our general style of play over two dreadful seasons. The cracks have been papered over until now. As I previously said, you won't convince me, so please feel free to carry on, it makes no difference. Sadly, and it does make me sad, I have lost every ounce of confidence, which wasn't huge but give anyone a chance, he's had his, time to have a shake up at the club in the summer.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Most people seem to want hughton out because of his negative tactics.
This is missing the point.
This season we have tried a 4-3-3 formation which is more offensive.
As stat brother said, possibly a (in hindsight , laughable) attempt to do a Liverpool.
The problem is the new players haven’t been up to it.
So hughton has gone back to the containing style which was reasonably successful last season.
Point being - he probably doesn’t want to play this boring style, he’s just doing what he can with the limited players at his disposal.
As for who is responsible for the signings - hughton May have final say but imo it comes back to the much-vaunted recruitment team, which has largely identified duffers.
If we stay up and can make some decent signings , hughton deserves the chance to have another go at the 4-3-3

Have we actually played a 433 though, from my seat it always looks more like a 451.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't from some posters.
Even if we win and stay up, they'll be ready to post - it's only papering over the cracks.

I'll save time and post now............'.it's only papering over the cracks'.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Another thing I fear, we score early (no... stop laughing, Moses parted the Red Sea - allegedly) and then go into save the lead mode at all costs for the rest of the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another thing I fear, we score early (no... stop laughing, Moses parted the Red Sea - allegedly) and then go into save the lead mode at all costs for the rest of the game.

Of course but we are all about defending, have some faith!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Tried & Tested.

8th biggest spender this season (ahead of Man City).
Difference being the players other clubs had to start with.

Capital outlay is only part of it due to the fees being accounted for over the contract.

I’m sure El Pres has said it and Johnny Cantor has said several times that our playing budget is bottom 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here