Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Trend setters in 1972 Brighton

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was at Newman as well. Hasha Adams was as in that photo. She projected a self-assurance and coolness way beyond most of her peers. Definitely way beyond me. I remember her being a really nice girl.

And Julie had that skinhead/suedehead look.

Hasha was ,as you described, a lovely girl in a league of her own , looks, brain and just thoroughly decent.

Julie once threatened to punch me, the days.

So were you in the same year? Did you live in Rottingdean?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My claim to fame Ovett wise was sharing the same Additional Maths class (God, that was hard) and finishing fourth in a cross country that he won (obviously). He toddled off and I was nearly vomiting from my efforts to keep up. Funny how some memories stick.
Do you remember each Monday in assembly in that huge hall, the headmaster (Mollison or Ashcroft), would read out any outstanding sports achievements from the weekend? Every week, it was Steve Ovett finished first in such and such cross-country in such and such elite sports race somewhere in Sussex. Being in the same sports class as him, when we did "cross-country", which was running around the entire perimeter of the Varndean playing fields a few times, he was usually finishing as the rest of us were half-way round.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hasha was ,as you described, a lovely girl in a league of her own , looks, brain and just thoroughly decent.

Julie once threatened to punch me, the days.

So were you in the same year? Did you live in Rottingdean?

Yes. Julie and I shared a surname but were not related. I think I was in the same year as Hasha - maybe the year above.

I can believe that about Julie. I don't think badly of her - it's just how it was.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you remember each Monday in assembly in that huge hall, the headmaster (Mollison or Ashcroft), would read out any outstanding sports achievements from the weekend? Every week, it was Steve Ovett finished first in such and such cross-country in such and such elite sports race somewhere in Sussex. Being in the same sports class as him, when we did "cross-country", which was running around the entire perimeter of the Varndean playing fields a few times, he was usually finishing as the rest of us were half-way round.

Steve Ovett was a prodigy. I was in the athletics team throughout my time at Varndean and Steve was only briefly in it as he was soon whisked away for more elite meetings.

He was the year above me so I never raced against him - which meant that I won the annual whole year cross country event pretty regularly :smile:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Steve Ovett was a prodigy. I was in the athletics team throughout my time at Varndean and Steve was only briefly in it as he was soon whisked away for more elite meetings.

He was the year above me so I never raced against him - which meant that I won the annual whole year cross country event pretty regularly :smile:
I recall Steve Overt being slapped around in changing rooms at withdrawn after a race in early 70s at annual Brighton Sports Day..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I recall Steve Overt being slapped around in changing rooms at withdrawn after a race in early 70s at annual Brighton Sports Day..

Are you sure it was Steve? I don't recall him racing much with Varndean BUT I think that another lad, Paul Perry, was slapped around a bit after he won his sprint race

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

I beat Steve in a race once. It was from the gates of Balfour Primary down Balfour Road to Preston Drove. Mind you, he was 8 and I was 10.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Some great auto corrects there. I recall the story was that a group of Fawcett lads were going to make sure SO didn’t win at Withdean so some of Varndean’s finest (some in the OP picture maybe) popped down there to look after him. He won.

Bit like Eton Rifles (not much chance against a tie and a crest)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I do now you have reminded me! I now seem to recall that it was one of those Monday reviews that prompted me to try and catch him in one of the aforementioned 'cross-country' round the perimeter runs. Obviously having no talent nor physique for running, I just ran and ran way beyond my capability or physical attributes and clearly recall going in to the gym changing room and, for a few moments, not being able to suck enough breath for a human being to live. I did not try that again and stuck with football and tennis from then onwards, deciding I should leave defeating the mighty Ovett to the likes of Seb Coe etc in a future life.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Are you sure it was Steve? I don't recall him racing much with Varndean BUT I think that another lad, Paul Perry, was slapped around a bit after he won his sprint race
I remember a guy absolutely slaughtering the opposition in a long distance race by at least 100 yards or more and asking someone who's is that. The reply was 'its someone called Steve Ovett'. My brother was in the changing room at the time. I had just left the changing room so didn't see the fracas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here