Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Trend setters in 1972 Brighton

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Does anyone recognise themselves in this picture. I knew the two girls...

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn....=a956f01bc6c0448786dc41ab5145f955&oe=6059EB19

Ah, now that's strange. I was sent this exact same photo my an ex school colleague of mine, asking if I knew anyone. It is of Varndean School boys and two unknown girls.
The people I know are;
Top row from left to right - Steve Spicer, Peter Oliver-Minos, Paul Hart.
Middle row on his own - Pete Arnold.
Bottom row from left to right - ?,?,?,?, Steve Pitt, Steve Tucknott.
If you could let me know the names of the girls, I can pass that on to my friend. Thanks.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ah, now that's strange. I was sent this exact same photo my an ex school colleague of mine, asking if I knew anyone. It is of Varndean School boys and two unknown girls.
The people I know are;
If you could let me know the names of the girls, I can pass that on to my friend. Thanks.

Is your old school friend John Lockest?

The two girls are are Hasha Adams (white top now Hasha Baker and living in the US) and Julie Wilkinson. This when they were at Cardinal Newman (as was i) .

I thought one of them was Steve Euans ....

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

The two girls are are Hasha Adams (white top now Hasha Baker and living in the US) and Julie Wilkinson. This when they were at Cardinal Newman (as was i) .

Never heard of John Lockest. Steve Ewens was in my classes all the way through the five years at Varndean. We were also in the same classes at Rudyard Kipling Junior School. However, he's not in the photo.
I will pass on the names of the girls to my friend who sent me the photo. He'll be really pleased, thanks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Never heard of John Lockest. Steve Ewens was in my classes all the way through the five years at Varndean.

You must have been at Varndean at the same time as me. Steve Spicer was in my year at school, but he retook the first year so he was a year older. I remember Steve Ewens (popularly known as Spewens) too.

I vaguely recognise some of the others in the photo but not their names - I think they were all a year ahead of me (maybe two)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Never heard of John Lockest. Steve Ewens was in my classes all the way through the five years at Varndean. We were also in the same classes at Rudyard Kipling Junior School. However, he's not in the photo.
I will pass on the names of the girls to my friend who sent me the photo. He'll be really pleased, thanks.

There's a Facebook id 'John Lockest' who is asking questions about the same picture, wants to know the names of the girls and knows 6 of the people in the picture... maybe the name is covering the real id....

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
There's a Facebook id 'John Lockest' who is asking questions about the same picture, wants to know the names of the girls and knows 6 of the people in the picture... maybe the name is covering the real id....
What's the world coming to, using a pseudonym to cover your real name!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The boys certainly are trend setters. No flares in 1972. Was that a Brighton thing? In Surrey, flares were widely seen until about 1978.

The girls are a bit out of date in miniskirts, though, aren’t they? Surely maxis and hot pants by 1972.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The people I know are;

Steve Spicer got all the pussy, didnt he?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Now 65, Hasha Baker looks young for her age.
https://www.linkedin.com/public-profile/in/hasha-baker-43683615?challengeId=AQEMTXBoZcNAaQAAAXfJ-5naDdzujzWcmnPkb3_9G7NcPLzagXBQjJm8JcWGACl023PfSnc3JHsIhnF51g222q85icJqbeSM_g&submissionId=2145c151-c315-6616-c294-598eeb0ed12c

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I was at Newman as well. Hasha Adams was as in that photo. She projected a self-assurance and coolness way beyond most of her peers. Definitely way beyond me. I remember her being a really nice girl.

And Julie had that skinhead/suedehead look.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The boys certainly are trend setters. No flares in 1972. Was that a Brighton thing? In Surrey, flares were widely seen until about 1978.

The girls are a bit out of date in miniskirts, though, aren’t they? Surely maxis and hot pants by 1972.

There was the whole skinhead/suedehead thing going on with tonics and sta-press etc but my brother who was ten years older than me used to buy me massines lunes from The Trading Post in Worthing.
It was trick going from Ben Sherman to tie and dye.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The people I know are;

They were in the year below me, but I stayed on for another year to notch some extra O'Levels. Familiar names and a couple of faces. Steve Ovett same year?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
They were in the year below me, but I stayed on for another year to notch some extra O'Levels. Familiar names and a couple of faces. Steve Ovett same year?
Indeed. He was in the "Superior" form, whilst I and fellow thickos were in either of the two "Parallel" forms.
My claim to fame was that we were in the same school football team. He is 6th from the left, back row.
In the 1972 photo, three are were in this team to. All bottom row, left to right, 1st Steve Pitt - 3rd Steve Spicer - 7th Paul Hart. I'm top row, third from left.

Attachments

• Varndean Football Team NSC.JPG
    Varndean Football Team NSC.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 144

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed. He was in the "Superior" form, whilst I and fellow thickos were in either of the two "Parallel" forms.
My claim to fame was that we were in the same school football team. He is 6th from the left, back row.
In the 1972 photo, three are were in this team to. All bottom row, left to right, 1st Steve Pitt - 3rd Steve Spicer - 7th Paul Hart. I'm top row, third from left.

Managed by Mr Reed, my English teacher in the first year.
There's a blast from the past

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

How did we ever lose to Varndean ...............

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

My claim to fame Ovett wise was sharing the same Additional Maths class (God, that was hard) and finishing fourth in a cross country that he won (obviously). He toddled off and I was nearly vomiting from my efforts to keep up. Funny how some memories stick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here