Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Travellers' now in Rottingdean

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Have you ever been to South London? I lived there for 3 years and don't think I met a singke person of the traveling fraternity.

I agree with central South London but suburban south/south west London has quite a large traveller community. Areas such as Mitcham, Pollards hill, Streatham, colliers wood ect. Most are house dwellers these days though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Elements of a case is the word pikey and it is deemed racist?. are you really saying its ok to say it in one town/city and not another.

I'm not saying anything. The article reports:

He was arrested and prosecuted for using the word
He is a Gillingham fan
He used the word at a game
Gillingham's fans use the word to describe their own players and team
He was found "not guilty"

To me, it is very clear that the article and the Magistrate is saying that, like Spurs and the term "Yid", context is everything.

If you read the article differently, that's your prerogative, of course. :thumbsup

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A Millwall fan was accused in the article not a Gills fan.

Oh really? I'm on my phone atm, so can't re-read it easily. I'm more than happy to stand corrected though. In that case, my point about the context is in invalid...

The fact that he was prosecuted stands though; why take the risk of prosecution?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh really? I'm on my phone atm, so can't re-read it easily. I'm more than happy to stand corrected though. In that case, my point about the context is in invalid...

The fact that he was prosecuted stands though; why take the risk of prosecution?

Yes the article link in #31 says Millwall fan who did play for Gillingham though.(youth team)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm not saying anything. The article reports:

He was arrested and prosecuted for using the word
He is a Gillingham fan
He used the word at a game
Gillingham's fans use the word to describe their own players and team
He was found "not guilty"

To me, it is very clear that the article and the Magistrate is saying that, like Spurs and the term "Yid", context is everything.

If you read the article differently, that's your prerogative, of course. :thumbsup

You obviously read it differently :lolol:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
More moving into the top of Withdean Park this morning whilst walking the dog.

Police following them, but clearly had no effect.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
More moving into the top of Withdean Park this morning whilst walking the dog.

Police following them, but clearly had no effect.

That will explain the lovely little Oirish lad who has just been at my front gate telling me that his Dad is doing some work on my neighbour's drive ???

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree with central South London but suburban south/south west London has quite a large traveller community. Areas such as Mitcham, Pollards hill, Streatham, colliers wood ect. Most are house dwellers these days though.

There is an area of mitcham called redskin village due to its historical connections with gypsies

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
That will explain the lovely little Oirish lad who has just been at my front gate telling me that his Dad is doing some work on my neighbour's drive ???

Yep, I'll be avoiding the park for a few days. Kids riding around on quad's and off road motorbikes with no thought for anyone walking around, poor lady who told me looked terrified.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Ran across Waterhall yesterday and the path through the bushes was smothered in human excrement and toilet paper,they really are charmers.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I just call them "Do as you likeys".
Sums them up perfectly and the rhyming slang lets people know what you are really saying.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ran across Waterhall yesterday and the path through the bushes was smothered in human excrement and toilet paper,they really are charmers.

They are evolving then if some have mastered the art of using bum wad.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Travellers are a fact of life.

We accomodate all sorts of people in this world.

Provide encampmemts for them and charge a nominal fee to cover costs.

The Greens seem to have a decent ideal, but the trouble is, no one will want them within spitting (throwing) distance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here