Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel subsidy [NOT] being scrapped for next season?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have absolutely no idea if the bloke was talking out of his ring or not. But it would certainly be a strange thing to say in conversation without there being an element of truth in it. Wouldn't it?

I personally will still renew whether there's a subsidy or not. It's £7ish to get to Falmer from where I am so still affordable to me. I have a season ticket and I'm intending to keep it until my dying day. It's gonna get expensive when my 6 month old is old enough to come with me. But by then I should have made my millions:whistle::whistle:

Why would they send out an email to the bloke on the ticket barrier, five months before the removal of the subsidy, it doesn't make sense

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Why would they send out an email to the bloke on the ticket barrier, five months before the removal of the subsidy, it doesn't make sense

I'm guessing that the club would already have told the train companies their intention to scrap the travel subsidies in advance of today's renawal announcement.
Maybe this has already been passed on to their staff, so they too can inform fans well in advance of next season.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

It might not have been sent to him, but at a management level and the news has filtered down? I don't know, it's just what he said:shrug:

It could all be complete rubbish.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for our first season at Falmer, didn't the club sell a book of travel vouchers to supporters for use on trains & buses to give those who didn't want to (or didn't have to) use public transport the option.

Surely it would just mean going back to this sort of scheme again?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for our first season at Falmer, didn't the club sell a book of travel vouchers to supporters for use on trains & buses to give those who didn't want to (or didn't have to) use public transport the option.

Apart from a few, (me) no bugger purchased them and just used the trains anyway.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

That was the scheme, and I think I was one of the 10 or so people who actually bought a book, it was a waste of time as no one used to check for them, word spread, hardly anyone bought them and it cost the club a fortune, that's why they added the compulsory purchase added on to the ST.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

This. Furthermore, it could equally be that it is not to let people on the train who don't have their match ticket. I suspect there are many who have used the trains on the old 'I'm picking my ticket up at the ground'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If they scrap it will 1901 members get a reduction in their monthly payments?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If the travel subsidy disappears, I will definitely not be renewing next season. In two minds to renew anyway, but this will be the final nail in the coffin.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Was it included when you bought it?

1901 members enjoy the 'free' bus, P&R and train options the same as all STH. If the cost of it is to be removed from ticket prices, then it would be fair to remove it from the 1901 ticket prices too. *Maybe a BR ticket inspector could advise.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
1901 members enjoy the 'free' bus, P&R and train options the same as all STH. If the cost of it is to be removed from ticket prices, then it would be fair to remove it from the 1901 ticket prices too. *Maybe a BR ticket inspector could advise.

Did they put the price up when the free travel was introduced?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Did they put the price up when the free travel was introduced?

IIRC It was always included, even when standard ticket holders had to pay for their own transport/transport vouchers.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The challenge is to keep match prices and travel affordable. The mandatory £4 travel allowance included in the match day ticket appears quite a big hit. B&HA bus not relevant for me so a subsidised network railcard or Seagull Matchday Express contribution might be a better use to keep total cost of the match/travel in check?

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
If they remove the travel subsidy they had better reduce ST prices too. They were quick enough to up prices when they included the subsidy in the first place.

In fact I'm sure they marketed it as a zero increase in season ticket prices that season, but added the £50 travel supplement. So if they reduce the "subsidy" I would expect my season ticket to be £50 cheaper next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here