Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel - i'm confused

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Hi

Making my way down from Leeds on the train for the game on Saturday, and am a bit confused about all these travel voucher things.

My original plan was to go from Victoria to Brighton, and then get the local service from Brighton to Falmer - is this possible if I don't have one of these voucher things? Also, for the return journey, am I best doing that in reverse, or is there a better way to get back up to London?

Cheers

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Victoria fast to Brighton and then change trains to Falmer is quickest. Going back you could take the Falmer to Lewis option and change there for the Victoria train as the queues at Falmer might be less going that way. Not too much difference time wise. Vouchers not obligatory. Enjoy the special day.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Victoria fast to Brighton and then change trains to Falmer is quickest. Going back you could take the Falmer to Lewis option and change there for the Victoria train as the queues at Falmer might be less going that way. Not too much difference time wise. Vouchers not obligatory. Enjoy the special day.

LewEs. Not with an I, with an E!!!!!!! Lewis is in Scotland! Lewes is in Sussex.

Why do so many people struggle with this simple fact? Imbeciles the lot of you!!!! Raaaaa!!!

Rant over.

If you've got a rail ticket that allows you to travel by any train on the Brighton line (as opposed to some special deal that only allows you to use First Capital Connect services), the rail fare to Falmer will be the same as the fare to Brighton (or Lewes).

If you haven't got a Travel Voucher, book your ticket to Falmer, not Brighton. If you have got a Voucher, book to Haywards Heath and use the Voucher to save a bit.

LewEs. Not with an I, with an E!!!!!!! Lewis is in Scotland! Lewes is in Sussex.

Why do so many people struggle with this simple fact? Imbeciles the lot of you!!!! Raaaaa!!!

Rant over.
Dead right.

Years ago, I worked in the Lewes Education Office. One of the jobs we had to do was provide a licence to allow the then 14-year old Lena Zavaroni to appear in a Christmas stage show, without her education being disrupted. This involved a lot of conversations and correspondence with her 'home' Education Authority - who were based in the Lewis Education Office.

Trying to get ANY paperwork properly addressed and delivered was a complete nightmare.

drfc1

Jul 28, 2011
Hi

Making my way down from Leeds on the train for the game on Saturday, and am a bit confused about all these travel voucher things.

My original plan was to go from Victoria to Brighton, and then get the local service from Brighton to Falmer - is this possible if I don't have one of these voucher things? Also, for the return journey, am I best doing that in reverse, or is there a better way to get back up to London?

Cheers

Yorkshire Seagull if you go from London Bridge to Brighton it's a tenner return :bounce:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Yorkshire Seagull if you go from London Bridge to Brighton it's a tenner return :bounce:

Now that's a good shout. Cheers mate.

We are coming down from Leeds too and have the Southern daysave ticket, 24 quid for the four of us, or if on your own for £12. Any Southern train all day including from Victoria.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
We are coming down from Leeds too and have the Southern daysave ticket, 24 quid for the four of us, or if on your own for £12. Any Southern train all day including from Victoria.

I'm coming down from Grantham and just looked at this but unfortunately you need to purchase 7 days in advance.

Will go for the £10 return from London Bridge, do people think it's reasonable to expect to be on the Brighton to London bound train by 18.04??

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
do people think it's reasonable to expect to be on the Brighton to London bound train by 18.04??

I for 4 certainly hope so, our deadline is 18:19

Would like to be in Brighton or Lewes by 17:30 ideally. Gonna be a rush, no hanging around after the game for us unfortunately.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Just back from my hols in Italy, hello all!

Do you all know about GroupSave3 and GroupSave4 tickets, where 3 or 4 adults (16 and over) can travel for the price of two. And up to 4 accompanying 15 and unders can travel for a pound.

You can certainly buy off-peak GroupSave3 or GroupSave4 tickets on the day at Brighton station when travelling to London - so you just need to go to a London area station and buy them there, no need to allocate a certain train but you must travel off-peak, which is pretty much anytime at weekends I think. You have to ask for them by name or the ticket clerk may not mention them IMHO...or you can book them online with some websites in advance (but not with Southern, had to be bought in person last time I bought them).

Not sure if you could buy tickets to Falmer - depends if it counts as a GroupSave destination (Brighton, Hove and Aldrington certainly do so it would be worth asking):

Days Out Guide - GroupSave Train Tickets

Days Out Guide - London to Brighton GroupSave Train Tickets - Brighton 2 Pay 4 Travel

HTH, don't forget to ask for your kids to travel for a quid, or sometimes it's cheaper to count your kids as adults if there are not 3 or 4 adults in your group.

Last edited:

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec

Rant over.

Normal tickets will work, and you're probably better heading towards Lewes then upto Victoria for the return leg. Less people head that way so getting on the platform will be easier.

FEWER! Less means "not as much," whereas fewer means "not as many".

:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here