Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers In - Calm down lads and lasses!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Since you're so keen on facts this is what actually happened:

12 May 14: Oscar leaves the Albion.

23 May 14: Oscar linked with Celtic: ‘For me it’s an honour to be linked to a club like Celtic. They are one of the best and biggest clubs in Europe, so it’s great to have interest. Nobody from the club has spoken directly to me and you would have to ask them why they might be interested.

‘But I know what I can do, what I can achieve, how I want to play, what philosophy I would bring to them. I grew up with the Barcelona philosophy and I would try to play attractive football.

‘I would be confident of taking them into the Champions League. The big objective of a club like Celtic must be to get into the group stages – and then to find the right way to be better, to improve and to see where Celtic can go.’

27 May 14: Ronny Deila resigns as manager of Stromsgodset as talks progress on him taking over as Celtic manager.

28 May 14: Paolo Sousa resigns as manager of Maccabi Tel Aviv to take up post at Basel.

03 Jun 14: Oscar rejoins Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Clearly, Maccabi was very much his Plan B, not Plan A.

Not looking for an argument here but that doesn't necessarily mean Maccabi was his Plan B, especially with there only being 6 days from Sousa leaving to his appointment. Suggests they may have had talks long before his start date? Possibly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can only imagine where we'd be now if you had anything to do with running the club. Playing in Southwick whilst the manager scours the rumours site looking to add players is my guess.

You missed the point that we are reputedly going to pay £1m for a keeper who is no better than we had. Assuming as most say TK was on £13k a week and apparently would have signed a new contract for that or fractionally more, I that was £14k or even £15k the outlay would have been £168k -£180 k not £1m. This is all assumjng ghe rumours about TK are only that rumours.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You missed the point that we are reputedly going to pay £1m for a keeper who is no better than we had. Assuming as most say TK was on £13k a week and apparently would have signed a new contract for that or fractionally more, I that was £14k or even £15k the outlay would have been £168k -£180 k not £1m. This is all assumjng ghe rumours about TK are only that rumours.

You've obviously seen Stockdale play a lot more than the rest of us, what are his weaknesses, and why are any Fulham fans I speak to so upset about possibly losing him?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not looking for an argument here but that doesn't necessarily mean Maccabi was his Plan B, especially with there only being 6 days from Sousa leaving to his appointment. Suggests they may have had talks long before his start date? Possibly.

And if Celtic HAD offered him a job what do you think his answer would have been?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As for Oscar, when he rejoined Maccabi Tel Aviv one of their fans came on here and categorically stated when he left the Albion it was done without his old job being offered back to him, and that there was a clear time gap. Oscar himself said when he resigned that there was no other job imminent.

Whether he had been offered a job Maccabi Tel Aviv or not, he was going to resign anyway. I am sure he decided to resign months before when there was no other job imminent, so I agree that Maccabi would have had no bearing on his decision to leave.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Since you're so keen on facts this is what actually happened:

12 May 14: Oscar leaves the Albion.

23 May 14: Oscar linked with Celtic: ‘For me it’s an honour to be linked to a club like Celtic. They are one of the best and biggest clubs in Europe, so it’s great to have interest. Nobody from the club has spoken directly to me and you would have to ask them why they might be interested.

‘But I know what I can do, what I can achieve, how I want to play, what philosophy I would bring to them. I grew up with the Barcelona philosophy and I would try to play attractive football.

‘I would be confident of taking them into the Champions League. The big objective of a club like Celtic must be to get into the group stages – and then to find the right way to be better, to improve and to see where Celtic can go.’

27 May 14: Ronny Deila resigns as manager of Stromsgodset as talks progress on him taking over as Celtic manager.

28 May 14: Paolo Sousa resigns as manager of Maccabi Tel Aviv to take up post at Basel.

03 Jun 14: Oscar rejoins Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Clearly, Maccabi was very much his Plan B, not Plan A.

But could it have been;
Maccabi owner, "Hello Oscar, Paola is resigning at the end of the month, if you are not happy at Brighton, we would love to have you back"
Oscar, " Is it safe there at the moment, no trouble with the neighbours"
Owner, "Yes it is very safe between us and Palestine now, you family will love it here"
Oscar, "Ok, thanks for the offer but I hear Celtic might want me, but Ronny Delia has just resigned at Stromsgodset, so I may be up for it"

Oscar resigns at Brighton.

Just goes to show, except Bozza and some of his confidents, 99% of NSC posters all have their own theories about everything involving Brighton and Hove Albion, and hardly anyof them are right.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
But what did your son say? To pay a footballer 14k a week when they can't kick a football straight is criminal. Glad we got rid if that is his salary.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It's not like for like though is it? Stockdale is four years younger so has much greater potential. We also might make a profit on him at some point if he's played regularly for us and we decide Walton should be first choice.

I don't understand this forum. People moan all summer about lack of signings and then we look like making a quality signing, there's still someone moaning.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Really?

So you believe 1 fan categorically stating this? I can make up anything and post it on the internet. Does not make it true, tis rhubarb. Of course Oscar is not going to say he is leaving us to go back to Maccabi Tel Aviv. Its like saying players do not get tapped up before an offer is made for them.

This has been done to death....

However I can confirm that he was not in contact with Maccabi Tel Aviv prior to leaving. As it goes he wasn't in contact with any other clubs and had no potential jobs lined up.

Source: His wife.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But could it have been;
Maccabi owner, "Hello Oscar, Paola is resigning at the end of the month, if you are not happy at Brighton, we would love to have you back"
Oscar, " Is it safe there at the moment, no trouble with the neighbours"
Owner, "Yes it is very safe between us and Palestine now, you family will love it here"
Oscar, "Ok, thanks for the offer but I hear Celtic might want me, but Ronny Delia has just resigned at Stromsgodset, so I may be up for it"

Oscar resigns at Brighton.

Just goes to show, except Bozza and some of his confidents, 99% of NSC posters all have their own theories about everything involving Brighton and Hove Albion, and hardly anyof them are right.

Oscar resigned 2 weeks before Deila resigned. Oscar put himself on the market at the earliest opportunity. He may have known that Sousa might be on the move, but I'd be very surprised if his Plan A ideal job - having resigned from the Albion when there was speculation linking him with Celtic, Southampton and WBA - was to step back into the role he resigned from just one year earlier.

Why would he do that? Apart from anything else, the first time he joined them they hadn't won the league for 10 years but Sousa just managed it in his first year, so expectation has been raised. And there must be a fair few Maccabi fans pissed off with him for walking out on the club after one season, so if he still has goodwill with the fans it will be conditional. Not to mention the place is a warzone.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Oh now that's a bit harsh,no? What's to say someone who has a very low paid job stretches their budget to buy a season ticket, surely you have to appreciate their financial input.

Well mostly yes and a little no. In buying my season ticket (senior) which I purchase outright for fiscal purposes. I then stump up (willingly) few pence short of £70 a month for 3 other assorted memberships for family members. For that I don't consider I have any say whatsoever in the running of the club. It's my money spent for my and my families pleasure. I don't believe anyone would buy their shopping from let's say M&S and consider they had any business input into M&S, unless they were shareholders.
I know as individuals we sometimes feel like we'd wish things to happen differently, but that in fairness isn't our right to expect.
We are quite rightly in the hands of Tony Bloom, he has wacked out millions not just I imagine for our pleasure but as an investment also. So I guess I'd have to consider that we don't have any real gripe and definitely no say. So I'll agree to differ on that one DF. :)

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country

And you know for sure that signing a new contract would not have meant a signing on fee for TK and his agent?

I think you should run some accountancy, football finance and negotiating courses for those of us with less knowledge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People who know TK said he wanted to resign so the talks wouldnt have been difficult, and for £1m Stockdale is no better than TK if even as good but he is younger. My point is we had as good if not better cheaper.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
People who know TK said he wanted to resign so the talks wouldnt have been difficult, and for £1m Stockdale is no better than TK if even as good but he is younger. My point is we had as good if not better cheaper.

Didnt seem as if he wanted to stay for the last 6 weeks of the season.
Allegedly stormed off before one game just hours before kick off
Allegedly had a set to with Bruno (if my memory is correct)
Reports were saying he wanted to play Premier football so he might be off if we didnt go up
Made some absolute howlers during the last few weeks, eg Derby and Forest.
Put those things together and his high wages.............GONE

Still without a club too, so has his form and recent reputation cost him elsewhere?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

TK is four years older. He should be cheaper.

He was a liability in his last 3 months.

No one wants him now, because he is demanding too much money for someone of his ability.

And just as an example :

He could have been on £15k a week / £60k a month, so £720k a year.

Stockdale could be on £10k a week / £40k a month, so £480k a year.

If stockdale signs a four year deal he would cost the same, but TK would be 36, and stockdale 32.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Most of that about Premier was agent talk I think and it affected his play.m Was there more to the set to with Bruno, who knows.

So presumably he's sacked his agent if it affected it his form and wasn't what he wanted?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Most of that about Premier was agent talk I think and it affected his play.m Was there more to the set to with Bruno, who knows.

Then he can thank his agent for being released.
As for the set too, you keep spouting about peolple ITK, ask them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here