Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers In - Calm down lads and lasses!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Of course we are not. But if it is Stockdale, we are getting a ****ing top goalkeeper who maybe wasn't available in June. So should we have signed a lesser keeper then, just so we had a keeper to play 30 minutes in the
friendlies? Or wait for the right one, who may well make ai difference to our season?[/QUOTE

Only my opinion but I do not think he is much if at all better than Kuszczak, so should have offered TK another contract and released Casper
That makes no sense. We have/needed three keepers so are you suggesting that we kept Kuszczak and signed another number one? I think its fair to say something happened between TK and the club and bridges got burnt. I think he's a class keeper, but for every reason the club will not go near him, and so far it would appear nor will many others!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You may well marvel at the club's ability to save a grand a week on a players contract by holding out for longer but surely it would be better for everyone if SH had players in ASAP to give him the longest amount of time working with them. We have needed players since January.
Ideally yes, but I doubt its a just grand a week. For the first time in years, the club are starting to get the power back from the agents in the championship. I would imagine if the club offered Ward what he wanted, his agent would still be touting him around for the best deal he can get, knowing they have us to fall back on. That would give the green light for every other agent to ask over the top for their players.

As I said in the opening post, whoever at the Albion got us £750k for just over 3 months of Ashley Barnes contract, then got us £10m for Ulloa, HAS to be trusted and given the full, benefit of the doubt, to do the right thing.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Ideally yes, but I doubt its a just grand a week. For the first time in years, the club are starting to get the power back from the agents in the championship. I would imagine if the club offered Ward what he wanted, his agent would still be touting him around for the best deal he can get, knowing they have us to fall back on. That would give the green light for every other agent to ask over the top for their players.

As I said in the opening post, whoever at the Albion got us £750k for just over 3 months of Ashley Barnes contract, then got us £10m for Ulloa, HAS to be trusted and given the full, benefit of the doubt, to do the right thing.

Indeed, I fully agree. Ashley Barnes wouldnt have helped us beat Derby last season and imho would have gone on a free by now. So tubby are u optimistic at the quality of player that we will bring in this season, sooner or later?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Indeed, I fully agree. Ashley Barnes wouldnt have helped us beat Derby last season and imho would have gone on a free by now. So tubby are u optimistic at the quality of player that we will bring in this season, sooner or later?

Very!

I think FFP is hitting a lot of clubs already. Bear in mind those who will fail the guidelines in December, will already know now that they will fail the guidelines in December.

I think this is a bit unique in terms of transfers and contarcts that are handed out, and for the past year expected transfer dealings to much slower and more drawn out than usual this preseason. I also expect if we do any dealings in January, for those to maybe be a bit quicker than normal. We just have to sit back and see what happens, but I am very optimistic we will get at least 3 or 4 more first team regulars signings

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
:lol: I can cope with that, it's just this poxy pathetic phrase I can't deal with.

Edit. Thanks for thumbs down by the way :)
Well if you give one after only reading the first few words of a post, what do you expect!! :lol:

As much as you think that phrase is poxy, I think the continual bashing of Barber and Burke is just as annoying.

I think everyone would agree, that we are so lucky to have Tony Bloom as chairman.

Next in line is Barber, who despite what some on here love to think, is one of the best in the industry at his job.

They are both above Burke who has a job to do, and guidelines laid down by those two and others on how to do it, so the continual bashing of him, annoys me as much as that phrase annoys you!

If Burke went out an signed a dozen players by now, he'd probably be getting his P45 next week and rightly so, because he wouldn't be getting the right ones.

I am very comfortable that these three are running the club.

The only negative I would aim at them is manager recruitment, but lets hope they've got it right this time. Personally I think they may have done!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Seriously there has been so much negative bullshit and bed wetting, even by NSC standards over the past few weeks regarding lack of signings, its staggering, even for us.

I get the feeling the club, and Burke in particular, cannot win with some of you. We could sign any number of players tomorrow if we choose to. We haven't because, like most other clubs, we want the best we can get.

Personally I am relaxed as I ever have been going into a season. I think this will be our year, I really do.

I don't think for one second we will have the squad in place for the opening game of season. But it will be by 1st September.

What would some of you prefer. To panic buy and pay over the odds?

For example we want Ward. So, should we have paid (I don't know the exact figures) say £14k a week for him a month ago, or hold out and get him for £10k a week or less. If we are giving him a three year deal, thats a huge difference. Clubs don't seem to be queuing up with huge wages for him to they! If it doesn't happen, I sure we have another left back lined up.

What makes this season even harder for the club, is its the first year FFP rules will come into effect and make a difference.

Agents by their nature will be holding out for the best price they can get, and before too much longer they will start to realise that they are not going to get the type of deals they could last time out, because clubs cannot much the old wages and stay within FFP rules.

Why do you think Kusczcak is without a club still?? This time last season he would have been snapped up within weeks. He's holding out for his old wage or close to it, and not getting anything.

So a club like the Albion who demand the best deals they can get will sit tight, and before much longer agents and players will start getting nervous and lower their demands in the fear of missing out.

The biggest problem for me (and as much as I detest Poyet I'm in full agreement with him here) the transfer window should shut before the season starts.

But it doesn't and I am completely as ease if the club do not make a signing until the last day of August.

Lets be honest, whoever got us £800k for 3 months worth of Ashley Barnes, and then got us £10m(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) for Ulloa, is pretty savey in the transfer market.

Lets all calm down, sit and wait, and stop trying to blame the wrong people.

Just remember, we could sign any number of players tomorrow. We choose not to, because we want the best available, and for that we will have to wait a little longer.

I said almost the same thing in another thread
so I agree with what you have said
Oh and did anyone take an iota of notice

NO

it will all come good in the end

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well if you give one after only reading the first few words of a post, what do you expect!! :lol:

As much as you think that phrase is poxy, I think the continual bashing of Barber and Burke is just as annoying.

I think everyone would agree, that we are so lucky to have Tony Bloom as chairman.

Next in line is Barber, who despite what some on here love to think, is one of the best in the industry at his job.

They are both above Burke who has a job to do, and guidelines laid down by those two and others on how to do it, so the continual bashing of him, annoys me as much as that phrase annoys you!

If Burke went out an signed a dozen players by now, he'd probably be getting his P45 next week and rightly so, because he wouldn't be getting the right ones.

I am very comfortable that these three are running the club.

The only negative I would aim at them is manager recruitment, but lets hope they've got it right this time. Personally I think they may have done!

I didn't give you a thumbs down, not that it matters anyway. I appreciate the content of your post, as it's pretty much spot on. Problem is I don't have any issues whatsoever with Burke, Barber or Bloom., in fact the only reference you'll find from me regarding any of them will be in defence of Burke. It's just that phrase, I don't like it, that's all. Here, have a thumbs up :thumbsup:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Pig was expensive......but worst of all he could not pass a ball. I am very glad we have got his wages off the balance sheet and his passes to touch out of the team.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Pig was expensive......but worst of all he could not pass a ball. I am very glad we have got his wages off the balance sheet and his passes to touch out of the team.

Kuszcak was on just shy of 14k a week.

Whether or not he was demanding more than that, I'm unaware, but i'd expect he was. Not cheap as you say.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would imagine if the club offered Ward what he wanted, his agent would still be touting him around for the best deal he can get, knowing they have us to fall back on

For what it's worth- and I take your point entirely- my understanding is that the stumbling block with Ward is not the player himself, but Wolves holding out for more money.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
For what it's worth- and I take your point entirely- my understanding is that the stumbling block with Ward is not the player himself, but Wolves holding out for more money.
I hope so, and I don't doubt that at all. I was just using it as an example really.

I have no doubt we will have a very strong squad come August 31st. I hope, but doubt we will have one by 9th August, and in the present climate, personally I have no problem with that. It's just how it is.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope so, and I don't doubt that at all. I was just using it as an example really.

I have no doubt we will have a very strong squad come August 31st. I hope, but doubt we will have one by 9th August, and in the present climate, personally I have no problem with that. It's just how it is.

Same here :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whilst the OP makes a reasonable point the fact is budget and player recruitment has cost us our last two managers and already Sami is sounding concerned.

This isn't as simple as getting bodies in to make us as fans feel better, this is about coaches and board demonstrating they can work together to bring in the right players. The jury is out in that regard.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Whilst the OP makes a reasonable point the fact is budget and player recruitment has cost us our last two managers and already Sami is sounding concerned.

This isn't as simple as getting bodies in to make us as fans feel better, this is about coaches and board demonstrating they can work together to bring in the right players. The jury is out in that regard.
How do you know that cost us our last two managers?

We sacked Poyet! So that pretty much counts that one out.

And Mr Dull, as Bozza said in another post, turned down 3 class signings in January, and the chairman has already stated he did not make himself available on transfer deadline day, so I doubt that was the case..... unless you know better.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How do you know that cost us our last two managers?

We sacked Poyet! So that pretty much counts that one out.

And Mr Dull, as Bozza said in another post, turned down 3 class signings in January, and the chairman has already stated he did not make himself available on transfer deadline day, so I doubt that was the case..... unless you know better.

You call him Mr. Dull. Such a shit manager that he turned down three class signings. Yet Mr. Dull actually turned out to be a decent manager who got us into the playoffs with less resources than Poyet, yet was so disillusioned he walked without having another job lined up.

I have faith in the board because of what they have done for the club, but managers like Oscar don't generally walk out on clubs like us halfway through the project when the club are on the verge of a new training facility and Academy Category A status. He didn't walk out for the money or another job, and it does concern me that having hit the ceiling under Gus we failed to land Grabban and still haven't inked a deal for Ward.

I guess I expect the manager to drive the recruitment but it hasn't felt that way since we signed Ulloa. It would be reassuring to hear the manager really positive about signing a 1st XI player, when that happens maybe the fans will feel less edgy.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You call him Mr. Dull. Such a shit manager that he turned down three class signings. Yet Mr. Dull actually turned out to be a decent manager who got us into the playoffs with less resources than Poyet, yet was so disillusioned he walked without having another job lined up.

I have faith in the board because of what they have done for the club, but managers like Oscar don't generally walk out on clubs like us halfway through the project when the club are on the verge of a new training facility and Academy Category A status. He didn't walk out for the money or another job, and it does concern me that having hit the ceiling under Gus we failed to land Grabban and still haven't inked a deal for Ward.

I guess I expect the manager to drive the recruitment but it hasn't felt that way since we signed Ulloa. It would be reassuring to hear the manager really positive about signing a 1st XI player, when that happens maybe the fans will feel less edgy.

Sorry you made a statement of fact
and I ask how you know this for a fact and this doesn't really answer that.

Mr Dull in your opinion turned out to be a good manager, I disagree.

According to the chairman and Chief Exc, he had a better budget the previous season under Poyet.

It makes no sense IMO to say he walked out, implying we hit a ceiling, then go back to a job in Isreal. Hardly a challenge there is it! Are you seriously saying he didn't know about that job when he left? Seemed a bit convenient didn't it!

I believe he left because he wasn't up for the challenge, and preferred the easy life, where he can easily win the title each year. Turning down three premiership players offered, is hardly the sign of the club hitting the ceiling is it!

So, I don't mean to sound an ********, but you stated as a matter of fact that Poyet and Garica left for "budget and player recruitment " (even though we sacked Poyet), all I am asking if for you to back that up?

Because to me, unless you can, you are just repeating what the other boys say!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you're being pedantic. There has been enough quotes from Poyet, Oscar, Bloom and Burke over the last 18 months to suggest that managers and board have not seen eye to eye regarding transfer targets and loan signings and that this factor - rightly or wrongly - has been instrumental in the departure of both coaches. Of our new players, Toko was brought in before Sami arrived, so how that is going to work out is anybody's guess. The Stephen Ward and Sammy Lee business this summer has caused further uncertainty. I don't blame a lot of the fans for getting the jitters about a lack of transfer activity since 30th June.

As for Oscar, when he rejoined Maccabi Tel Aviv one of their fans came on here and categorically stated when he left the Albion it was done without his old job being offered back to him, and that there was a clear time gap. Oscar himself said when he resigned that there was no other job imminent.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Sorry you made a statement of fact and I ask how you know this for a fact and this doesn't really answer that.

Mr Dull in your opinion turned out to be a good manager, I disagree.

According to the chairman and Chief Exc, he had a better budget the previous season under Poyet.

It makes no sense IMO to say he walked out, implying we hit a ceiling, then go back to a job in Isreal. Hardly a challenge there is it! Are you seriously saying he didn't know about that job when he left? Seemed a bit convenient didn't it!

I believe he left because he wasn't up for the challenge, and preferred the easy life, where he can easily win the title each year. Turning down three premiership players offered, is hardly the sign of the club hitting the ceiling is it!

So, I don't mean to sound an ********, but you stated as a matter of fact that Poyet and Garica left for "budget and player recruitment " (even though we sacked Poyet), all I am asking if for you to back that up?

Because to me, unless you can, you are just repeating what the other boys say!

Gus and Oscar both wanted to leave the club before they're season's ended due to the lack of they're transfer targets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here