Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tramadol.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Having suffered with kidney stones on and off for the last 20 years I have been prescribed several pain killers over this period. They used to give me Pethadine, which used to work, but usually knocked me out and left me feeling 'spaced out'. Then they changed to prescribing Diclofenac, which didn't do anything for me. The last time I ended up in hospital with a stone stuck in my 'tubes', they tried every thing including Morphine, but the only thing that finally worked was a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol, before the stone moved enough for them to go in and get the bugger out. Stayed on Tramadol and Paracetamol for a few days after the event with no side effects.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I was given tramadol after an operation. Left me feeling pretty spaced - a warm tingle up my spine and a kind of fuzzy glow in my head. Did the trick as a painkiller and I had 4 or 5 left over which are now used in emergencies when OTC narcotics just won't do.

It's an excellent way to fight the F.E.A.R. after a heavy weekend!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I found them weak and ineffective along with paracetamol (eight(8) of each a day) did nothing to stave off the pain(arthritis) now on Diclofenac (2) when I have been prescribed 3 a day
any painkillers are not good for your stomach if taken for any length of time apparently

Diclofenac is notorious for impacting on kidney function if taken long term so no strong painkillers are without potential risk. My concern is that doctors are not aware of the risks and/or take insufficient steps to properly advise patients (in-pack medicine notes are a cover all with little meanimful direction in my view) or to monitor them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I found them weak and ineffective along with paracetamol (eight(8) of each a day) did nothing to stave off the pain(arthritis) now on Diclofenac (2) when I have been prescribed 3 a day
any painkillers are not good for your stomach if taken for any length of time apparently

Diclofenac is notorious for impacting on kidney function if taken long term so no strong painkillers are without potential risk. My concern is that doctors are not aware of the risks and/or take insufficient steps to properly advise patients (in-pack medicine notes are a cover all with little meanimful direction in my view) or to monitor them.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I had them after fiesta-ing my leg off and having it reattached along with others it worked okay but to me was nout special.

Wouldn't advice driving or attempting anything that needs to much thought though.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
What experiences have people had in the use of this? Thank you.

I was given a box after an op last year, but didn't use nearly all of it so kept what was left to use as a general purpose painkiller.

Most of the time it was OK, although it did constipate me a couple of times.
It's better taken before bed than in the morning, it made me very sleepy.

DON'T take it with alcohol (including the day after), I made that mistake once. Had a bad hangover and I'd run out of paracetamol so I dropped a couple of Tramadol. My head spun out and I passed out, I woke up several hours later. Although, to be fair, the hangover was cured, but it's not something I want to try again!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I got quite addicted to them a few years ago when taking them as a painkiller in hospital. Was in quite a bit of pain and they were so effective that the contrast when taking them felt euphoric.

My mistake was that, when they discharged me, they gave me a party bag to take home with 100's of the things in and found it hard to ween myself off.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I have very weak knees - meniscus was always playing up and until two years ago I used to play a pretty high standard of club cricket.

As an opening bowler I took Tramadol to ease the pain and get though a game. It worked. I was bowling as quick as ever and a 8-9 over spell was fine.

However on one occasion I took three before a game. I ran around like a mentalist, bowled like the wind and then threw up all over the square and fainted.

Be careful.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

my doctor told me of the bad things including stomach ulcers and I already have a micro bleed somewhere and am also on strong Iron tabs and a three(3) monthly blood tests
and the last thing he tried to get me on was morphine and the tramadol and paracetamol and taking all things in to account I think that the Diclofenac was the best way to go but it was convincing him of this.
my life span is not likely to go any further than the next 10 years so 10 years pain free (well almost) or taking all the other stuff for maybe a few years longer .............well you get the idea.
pain management is always going to be different for everyone ....it is just finding the right mix

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I was prescribed this after being diagnosed as having tendonitis in my back. My advice would be to seek something else out, without realising it at the time I was pretty much in a trance. Also they are extremely addictive, in my trance like state whilst cleaning up I threw them in the bin, then whilst searching for them feverishly I was accusing all and sundry of hiding them from me. Horrible stuff.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I got a mix reaction from two people i knew who took it as a anti depressant. It's difficult to say but i would take the prescription and see how you get on with it. If your not happy for one reason or another then go back to see your doctor like i did(I wasn't taking this drug) and ask for something else.

tramadol is a morphine based pain killer isn't it........when i was discharged from hozzy after breaking my legs i was given a bottle of 200 x 35mg capsules....... ****sake we had some weird nites round my house........never heard of it being used as an a/d before.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Does anyone have alcohol and take them ? Been on them for a while and gagging for a pint but don't want to end up in space

i have / did , but i'm partially insane .........got the guts of a donkey.......just made me see treble and eventually fall asleep...........nowhere near as bad as rohypnol or tamazepan.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
My brother in law was on them for a whole for back pain, he came home one day saying that he'd seen a yellow and blue pheasant on his drive back from work. He was adamant it was nothing to do with the tramadol. I think it probably was.

Golden pheasant - quite rare but conceivable.

Trust your drug addled BIL!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
my doctor told me of the bad things including stomach ulcers and I already have a micro bleed somewhere and am also on strong Iron tabs and a three(3) monthly blood tests
and the last thing he tried to get me on was morphine and the tramadol and paracetamol and taking all things in to account I think that the Diclofenac was the best way to go but it was convincing him of this.
my life span is not likely to go any further than the next 10 years so 10 years pain free (well almost) or taking all the other stuff for maybe a few years longer .............well you get the idea.
pain management is always going to be different for everyone ....it is just finding the right mix

totally understand where you are coming from and glad that by being proactive you were able to dodge the morphine bullet - quality of life beats length of life every time :lol:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I use Tramadol because it doesn't constipate me as badly as codeine based painkillers do and also because it makes me feel pleasantly stoned.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have very weak knees - meniscus was always playing up and until two years ago I used to play a pretty high standard of club cricket.

As an opening bowler I took Tramadol to ease the pain and get though a game. It worked. I was bowling as quick as ever and a 8-9 over spell was fine.

However on one occasion I took three before a game. I ran around like a mentalist, bowled like the wind and then threw up all over the square and fainted.

Be careful.

I know I probably should not have...........BUT............that made me laugh like mad!! :lol::lol: sorry but I had this sort of Monty Python image going on in my mind as i read it :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here