Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Trains to and from Nottingham

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd honestly hate to see a self fulfilling prophesy / Catch 22 where the earth gets destroyed if we don't stop using cars, but we can't stop using cars because the public transport has been reduced to almost zero. That's an act of self harm greater than Brexit, IMO.

But, that is where the current lot are. Since just about holding on to Uxbridge they're convinced that a phoney "war" on Green and Woke in favour of motorists will play well across the whole country. A race to the bottom, piloted by the desperate.

Trains should be a joy. The Boy and I got the Eurostar to and from Amsterdam for Ajax. Legroom, minimal check in time (about 5 mins before boarding on the way home), basically a travelling bar (if you get stuff before boarding). And cheaper than most scheduled flights. Effortless border crossing too, unless, y'know.....
I can't begin to tell you how shit Avanti trains are, how their clown show has ruined what was a great service when Virgin run it, wonder why no one in the media seems to care advance tickets are essentially a thing of the past and that the things are likely not to be running at any given time for no apparent reason whatsoever. It's a national disgrace.

If the PM used them rather then his private jet, we might have more luck getting them fit for purpose.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I tweeted LNER asking to hold the KGX train at Grantham- no chance was their response. The Bar on platform 1 had record takings whilst we awaited the next KGX train 🍻⚽😁
You'd have thought they could have held it for 3 minutes. By the time I realised there was a micro pub on the platform, it was too full to get in there!

I asked the guard on the 17.35 Grantham train why they'd only put on two coaches when there's a game on and he said 'I know. It's always like this'. Absolute carnage - will never complain about Falmer again!

Just submitted my 'Delay Repay' form. At least we can get some dosh back - and it was surprisingly easy to get a seat on the 19.19.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The Member of Parliament that visited me the other week told me that no one is using the train apparently, so we didn’t need any new rolling stock. Oh well it was a good laugh in the end.
I’m sure that’s an impeccably accurate description of your conversation. Public transport in the UK is a total shitshow for a combination of reasons. Underfunding is certainly one. Poor attitude to public service and jobsworth mentality are others.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't begin to tell you how shit Avanti trains are, how their clown show has ruined what was a great service when Virgin run it, wonder why no one in the media seems to care advance tickets are essentially a thing of the past and that the things are likely not to be running at any given time for no apparent reason whatsoever. It's a national disgrace.

If the PM used them rather then his private jet, we might have more luck getting them fit for purpose.
Get it 100%.

Used Virgin to Preston and Birmingham regularly for work pre Covid. Was pretty decent.

Same can't be said for Man U last season where the number of services to and from suddenly dropped by 33%. Suspect that might strike a chord in the West Midlands too? And one an hour to/from London - Liverpool? WTF?

But, as said, if they don't have the drivers and stock, that's down to the government. And driving a train isn't actually just pushing the little green button to go and the red one to stop. But there are probably other issues, given the complex bureaucracy.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I suspect this might be the case for the thread.....

Choo Choo Vintage GIF by US National Archives
Incidentally, I'm currently sat in Leeds for no apparent reason (and have been for about 10minutes) due to engineering works between Donny and York.

Obviously as a civil engineer I'm understanding of the issues that Network Rail face.
Equally, as a passenger, I'm f***ing pissed off.
As I write this, we've just pulled out of the station. Yay.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’m sure that’s an impeccably accurate description of your conversation. Public transport in the UK is a total shitshow for a combination of reasons. Underfunding is certainly one. Poor attitude to public service and jobsworth mentality are others.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
9.21 St Pan direct to Notts was fine, but the 2 carriage 6.38 to grantham was delayed for for 50 mins on the platform and missed our planned connection back to St P, although the later one was very quiet (everyone pilled on shorter the Hull train)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
9.21 St Pan direct to Notts was fine, but the 2 carriage 6.38 to grantham was delayed for for 50 mins on the platform and missed our planned connection back to St P, although the later one was very quiet (everyone pilled on shorter the Hull train)
Got a seat on the Hull Trains, no problem. The next one (LNER) was only 10 mins or so behind and twice the length.

Getting to London wasn't really the issue. Getting to / from Grantham / Nottingham was a massive PITA though.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Got a seat on the Hull Trains, no problem. The next one (LNER) was only 10 mins or so behind and twice the length.

Getting to London wasn't really the issue. Getting to / from Grantham / Nottingham was a massive PITA though.
I regularly compare horror stories with my friend who lives in Nottingham. It's amazing how the different companies find different ways to completely screw people over.
East Midlands regularly just run half a train for no explained reason.
Cross Country will frequently run half a train and claim "staff shortages", despite often running the full train and then not bothering to check tickets or provide catering in half the train anyway.
Trans-Pennine you've got about a 30% chance of the train not existing.
LNER are actually normally half decent. Having said that, I just bought a cup of tea and was given this in a bag:

Attachments

• 20231126_224957.jpg
    20231126_224957.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 31

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Kind of. We went up early and managed to get to Nottingham via Grantham. On the one hand we had the train overlord @jackalbion in charge of travel. On the other hand, trying to get a large group of people who've been drinking in the morning on to the correct train is like herding cats. We ended up crushed on a short formed service but we did get to Nottingham by 12.

Coming home was a lottery. Missed the train connection we had reservations on because of 16 mins of added time by Mr "it's all about me" Taylor. But we had split Off Peak Returns*. Were refused access to the 18.22 London service ten minutes before it was due to leave. The pile to get on the Grantham service going on to Norwich was also a joke. Luckily the train overlord recommended getting on the Skeggy service and it was inspired as that ended up leaving first. Hull Trains back to KX. Home by 11.

Did it ruin an excellent day? Not a bit. It added to the shenanigans and general chaos. Was it a shit show? Absolutely. Obviously engineering works on the main Notts line so running two carriage rattlers once an hour from Grantham is stupid as f***. But, the train overlord may advise that no more rolling stock / capacity / drivers existed from Grantham. If that's the case, blame the government.

Spare a thought for the train workers though. They had clearly been stitched up. The funniest thing was at Grantham when an announcement about the Norwich bound service said it was delayed "due to overcrowding, due to a football match". If only someone had looked at Forest's fixtures.......

*some advice on train tickets that I will no doubt be challenged on, but here goes. Firstly, if you regularly go to games with the same person get a Two Together railcard (you may have already). Secondly split the tickets using a specific ticket splitter site or searching on the train company's website itself for only that portion of the journey. Or, go to your local train ticket office now they've been saved. They'll sort you out. If the cost of doing this is fractionally higher for an Off Peak or Super Off Peak than an Advance then get the former. Lastly, much of the above doesn't count for football weekends. A train that's over filled with pissed football fans is never EVER going to have a full ticket check or operating ticket barriers. Just use the commuter sense of 'first train in the correct direction'.
This is all great but if you didn’t have @jackalbion and his magic train app you’d still be in Nottingham.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, Yes, Yes, as you always say 😴

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I regularly compare horror stories with my friend who lives in Nottingham. It's amazing how the different companies find different ways to completely screw people over.
East Midlands regularly just run half a train for no explained reason.
Cross Country will frequently run half a train and claim "staff shortages", despite often running the full train and then not bothering to check tickets or provide catering in half the train anyway.
Trans-Pennine you've got about a 30% chance of the train not existing.
LNER are actually normally half decent. Having said that, I just bought a cup of tea and was given this in a bag:
Oh LNER have there own problems, with their big red, DO NOT TRAVEL button, whenever a single train is late.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I've lived in both Leicester and Sheffield, and regularly go to Nottingham to visit people and go to the cricket.
Nottingham is weirdly more difficult/time-consuming to get to by train than other cities in the same area.

There are obviously actual reasons for this that we could go into, but none of them are particularly interesting.
Not particularly interesing, but I’ve probably got a 2,000 word essay somewhere on my university laptop somewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the way up, because a connection at Grantham got you to Nottingham way earlier than the direct train that took over two and a half hours (normal direct is 90 mins).
Ah but on the direct route I got to sit next to a lovely young lady going on a hen do...

...who wished she was on the Grantham train.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
We done a magical split route, Brighton to Bedford, Bedford to Wellingborough, Wellinbourough to Nottingham, reversed coming back, journey was probably half hour longer, but a lot cheaper. Even though it was the KX to Notts train we picked up half way up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here