Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains need sorted before the really nasty teams come visiting

D

Deleted User X18H

The Uckfield platform? I think this could only be re-opened if they demolished the new bridge that carries Mountfield Road over the railway. Besides which, introducing a new junction on to the Lewes - Brighton line would REDUCE its capacity, not increase it.

No Chris Birchall (not ex Albion Player) told me thats what they were doing, he is going to remove the pebbles and and the bridge himself and get Ernest to sweep up. Should be done by Friday.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If they actually filled the trains to Brighton rather than letting them go with seats empty they'd clear the queues quicker... don't think anyone's expecting to sit for that distance!

Watching a train leave Falmer for Brighton on Saturday I was amazed that it left half empty as there were about 500 people in the queue. The stewards need to maximise the number of people that can get on the train
If you want to get as many trains as possible running a reliable timetable, it may be better to get a not-full train moving, when it's supposed to leave, rather than holding it up until it is fully loaded, causing delays to the train that is running behind it, or missing a slot further down the line.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
have about 10/20 double decker buses lined up and shipping fans back to Brighton station would be a good start and cut down the waiting for a train by loads

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And buses to Hassocks for the London folk (Albion fans, not Palace)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No Chris Birchall (not ex Albion Player) told me thats what they were doing, he is going to remove the pebbles and and the bridge himself and get Ernest to sweep up. Should be done by Friday.

I certain lady, who you are very fond of, is an expert in removing pebbles - perhaps she could assist? :moo:

Another option would be to run some buses direct to Lewes station to assist with dispersing people. Many seem to be using Lewes rather than Brighton to catch connections!
You sound surprised.

Outside football match times, it is usually quicker to travel from Falmer to Haywards Heath via Lewes than via Brighton. Fewer stops, for a start.

Having used the trains for every match so far, it is clear if one is quick off the mark, there is a short wait, for this increases massively for a 5-10 min wait, as was the case for me at Gillingham. Big issue with the evening games is that few people will stay behind as bars will be shut.

For Palace, as well as there being 5000 more people, we have to consider than bar a few, every Palace fan will use the train. It's the only sensible way to East Croyden, as opposed to maybe 100 from Gillingham.

Problems I have seen every time: Trains being sent on their way half full. This is easily solved and I can't beleive it hasn't been yet as I have emailed the club after every game.

20 minute wait: If you just miss one, this is a massive wait. Not sure the singalling argument works here - 20 minutes on a train doing 60mph is 60 miles. Arn't the signals 1/4 mile apart.

In this time, there would be time for a train to come out of brighton on the other side of the track. Pull up at Falmer and get back before the next train arrives! Problem to accomodate that train at Brighton solved by putting 2 trains on one platform (often happens on plats 1 and 2)

The Asford train not stopping is easily solved.

Big issue is the number of cars of the trains leaving BTN going West. There is a massive bottle neck at BTN and often after waiting an hour for a train at Falmer, one then misses the train from BTN to SSE (as it's full) having to wait 20 mins for the next, only to change at Hove and wait there for 10 minutes to grab the VIC Littlehampton train!!

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Watching a train leave Falmer for Brighton on Saturday I was amazed that it left half empty as there were about 500 people in the queue. The stewards need to maximise the number of people that can get on the train

I assume that there is also a safety issue here?

From my times queuing for trains i get the impression that if it's a 4-coach train they allow around 400 people on to the platform, ie 100 people per coach.

have about 10/20 double decker buses lined up and shipping fans back to Brighton station would be a good start and cut down the waiting for a train by loads
Where would all these spare buses come from? Haven't you noticed that they are having to borrow buses from all over the place just to get the park & ride services working?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
if money was no object?

Well if money is no object it's simple ........................ Teleportation is a term that refers to a number of theories and notions concerning the transfer of matter, energy or information between two places without it having to traverse the distance between them by conventional means; similar to the concept apport, an earlier word used in the context of spiritualism. To mean the transference of matter, and even live organisms, over long distances instantaneously.

beamup.jpg

I assume that there is also a safety issue here?

From my times queuing for trains i get the impression that if it's a 4-coach train they allow around 400 people on to the platform, ie 100 people per coach.
This discussion started off with people expressing concerns about how the crowds on Falmer station were going to be controlled when a "high profile" game happened - and then turned into a debate about why they don't let more people on to the platform, despite the fact that it's rammed.

For Palace, as well as there being 5000 more people, we have to consider than bar a few, every Palace fan will use the train. It's the only sensible way to East Croyden, as opposed to maybe 100 from Gillingham.
I'll be fascinated to discover how more than 2,000 Palace fans will get on to Brighton-bound trains at East Croydon during the evening peak period.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
For the last month there does seem to a be lot of whinging here about trains and transport by people who don't seem to ever use public transport apart from matches or go to any popular sporting events. people really need to start being realistic.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
20 minutes is a massive wait???

Got to love a helpful reply. Twenty minutes in the context of things is a massive wait. Just as more than a six minute wait for an underground train causes massive crowds. It is about context and this is a massive problem.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I posted a message on Ask the club yesterday on this issue and to be honest the reply was not very encouraging. Gonna be a nightmare when we play certain teams.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I got the 28 bus from St Peter's Church on Saturday, probably only 5-10 mins longer journey time than the rattler. I've also heard Racecourse P&R is very painless. Let the bus save the fuss. :moo:
:thumbsup:

And buses to Hassocks for the London folk (Albion fans, not Palace)

Where would all these spare buses come from? Haven't you noticed that they are having to borrow buses from all over the place just to get the park & ride services working?

It must be a lot easier to get hold of buses than it is to upgrade the railway infrastructure. I was taking the train to start with, but now using one of the football special buses is the way to go for me. The trains are currently clogged with people only taking a 10min journey which could easily be provided by bus services instead, freeing up space on the trains for those going further a field. There must be private coach services around Sussex ready to bite BHA's hand off for a regular contract through the course of a season. The expense would surely be offset by permission being granted for more seats????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here