Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains need sorted before the really nasty teams come visiting

They are using longer trains already and running as frequently as they can.

That's about it. I dare say if they spent a few million on upgrading the signalling they might squeeze an extra train in, but it's difficult to justify this for a couple of dozen occasions a year, when most passengers would only be paying pennies towards the costs.

Using Platform 3 at Brighton was only possible for short trains. My understanding is that it doesn't work now that the frequency of trains on the Brighton to London main line (which Lewes to Brighton trains have to cross to reach platform 3) has been increased.

Platform 3 was used for the Gills game at 18:20(ish), going straight to Falmer then on to Lewes.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Personally I can't see how permission will be given to allow an extra 8000 seats until transportation away from the ground is 100% right!

Queueing is acceptable to me but public safety on high profile games is going to be compromised IMO!

This sounds like another moan but it's not meant in that way! Just a view of what I've witnessed so far... I accept that it's early days and many people will adjust their travel arrangements to suit but I still feel that the current train schedules are not right and that a serious incident is likely to occur in the very near future!

Btw, before anyone shouts at me, I ain't a bloody drama queen!! I work in the travel industry and have been involved in moving large crowds at music festivals and sporting events.

Trust me, the current set up at Falmer station is an accident waiting to happen!!!

Rant over

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I guess the Club felt it was too expensive and nobody else thought it was worth it.

No, I understand that they can only use 4-coach-long trains because of the inadequacy of LEWES station to cope with more - I believe that any longer train would block the line at the points in both directions at Lewes so it can't be done.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Still can't get my head around the amazingness of the Japanese trains. Yamanote line runs a train every THREE minutes and I feel quite put out if I have to wait more than 10 minutes for a train anywhere in Japan.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's an accident waiting to happen no doubt whatsoever ... Palarse are the test and I can't even begin to think what the remedy is - thought of a few but even the North Koreans would find them unreasonable!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
has the crappy two carriage ashford train that doesnt stop at Falmer been altered? that would be the obvious candidate for an easy change. easy for me of course, where the extra 12 carriages (2x6) come from or go after, i dont know. i think we just have to accept the service provided is what they can do, and be thankfull noone spoted this little problem in the planning...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I got the 28 bus from St Peter's Church on Saturday, probably only 5-10 mins longer journey time than the rattler. I've also heard Racecourse P&R is very painless. Let the bus save the fuss. :moo:

May 8, 2008
Portslade
I can see problems on the Falmer platforms post scummier games....its just waiting for someone to end up on the line. How about installing barriers akin to those at major themepark rides? Still wouldn't solve the problem of queueing with away fans but would make it safer. Do we know what plans the club has in place to cope with away fans at the station?

D

Deleted User X18H

They are using longer trains already and running as frequently as they can.

That's about it. I dare say if they spent a few million on upgrading the signalling they might squeeze an extra train in, but it's difficult to justify this for a couple of dozen occasions a year, when most passengers would only be paying pennies towards the costs.

Using Platform 3 at Brighton was only possible for short trains. My understanding is that it doesn't work now that the frequency of trains on the Brighton to London main line (which Lewes to Brighton trains have to cross to reach platform 3) has been increased.

Yes they can , just stop the ones from London at the Montpelier Junction signal and infuriate all the cockerneys who shouldn't be travelling down here anyway.

D

Deleted User X18H

has the crappy two carriage ashford train that doesnt stop at Falmer been altered? that would be the obvious candidate for an easy change. easy for me of course, where the extra 12 carriages (2x6) come from or go after, i dont know. i think we just have to accept the service provided is what they can do, and be thankfull noone spoted this little problem in the planning...

Top bloke and he's got to concentrate on playing as well you know!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Four trains an hour in both directions after the match is just not enough. Southern Rail should learn from the Monaco Grand Prix and have trains lined up so they can get all the fans away from Falmer inside 30 minutes. It might not be good for post match bar revenue but I can hardly see some Millwar or Palacescum supporters putting up with a two hour wait for a train. It needs to be sorted and sorted now before something nasty happens.

TNBA

TTF

What you've got train wise after the match is as good as your going to get and as good as the signalling will allow, I'm surprised it's working as well as it is to be honest. As for trains being lined up I expect they already are but the lack of signals on that line means you would'nt notice.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If BHAFC (TB) wanted to pay for the signalling upgrade etc:
a) How much would it cost?
b) Would it even be allowed?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

It has. After the SSC Final, it was an eight carriage electric unit from Brighton to Eastbourne, where it terminated. From Eastbourne, those people travelling onto Ashford changed onto the two carriage diesel at the platform alongside.

No, I understand that they can only use 4-coach-long trains because of the inadequacy of LEWES station to cope with more - I believe that any longer train would block the line at the points in both directions at Lewes so it can't be done.
That's (more or less) the answer I've always given every time the question has been raised previously. This time, just for a change, I thought I'd throw the cost argument in.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Watching a train leave Falmer for Brighton on Saturday I was amazed that it left half empty as there were about 500 people in the queue. The stewards need to maximise the number of people that can get on the train

D

Deleted User X18H

Lewes could reopen that platform the one with all the pebbles and run trains into that and out again.

If BHAFC (TB) wanted to pay for the signalling upgrade etc:
a) How much would it cost?
b) Would it even be allowed?
... and c) how high up Network Rail's priorities would it be, bearing in mind that railway signalling skills are at a premium and there are other, bigger, projects that are struggling to find the expertise?

Lewes could reopen that platform the one with all the peebles and run trains into that and out again.
The Uckfield platform? I think this could only be re-opened if they demolished the new bridge that carries Mountfield Road over the railway. Besides which, introducing a new junction on to the Lewes - Brighton line would REDUCE its capacity, not increase it.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Another option would be to run some buses direct to Lewes station to assist with dispersing people. Many seem to be using Lewes rather than Brighton to catch connections!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here