Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trains innit

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
View attachment 171873View attachment 171874Amazing performance on the pitch today, left the Amex walking on air.

Queue heading to Lewes was reasonable, have seen it worse, so was initially on the ramp when train arrived.,then set off. As you can see, this carriage was mainly empty, so why not allow more people down the ramp to board? Things started to get a bit confrontational between train/security staff and fans who were pointing out that there was a huge amount of space that could have been filled. If it had been raining and/or we had lost things would have been far more lairy.

View attachment 171873

Carried on the down the ramp and I the last person allowed through, there were many, many fans behind me, went to front of platform, awaited next train, boarded and again an almost empty carriage.

We all know transport links at the Amex are imperfect, but it is part of the overall deal. Low level failures such as this, which are not isolated incidents, increase the tensions though.
Yep, pretty much the only people that get on are the 50 odd helpers accompanying the vulnerable down the middle lane on the ramp.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The problem is people going to Seaford and Eastbourne not getting on the first train, and changing at Lewes. You can of course suggest people get on the first train but you cannot physically force them annoyingly.
Why not though? You don't normally get stopped entering a platform but you do when at the football. I fail to see they you can't just insist everyone gets on the train.

At the moment they don't even advise people to do this

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The problem is people going to Seaford and Eastbourne not getting on the first train, and changing at Lewes. You can of course suggest people get on the first train but you cannot physically force them annoyingly.
There is nobody suggesting though, that is surely the first step.
I'm sure if there were signs and announcements for everyone to get on the first available train, together with staff on the platform to fill the trains like there is on the brighton platform, I'm sure things would improve.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Left at the full time whistle, power walked down to the station and surprisingly got straight on the platform for a Seaford train. What gives?
@ManOfSussex doing his power walk down to the station...

0OgPPb.gif

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's also the staff not allowing more people on the platform/train because the train is due to leave, or is already technically late.

Jul 10, 2023
Why not though? You don't normally get stopped entering a platform but you do when at the football. I fail to see they you can't just insist everyone gets on the train.

4 or 5 'strays' entered via the little gate east bound, wanting to go over the platform based bridge for the west bound and were told it was quicker to get the train to Lewes and change for the next train back to Falmer/Brighton.
As for the short platforms at Lewes - this is generally announced before leaving Falmer, approaching Lewes and at Lewes; that the carriage doors are locked and to make your way through to the carriages whose doors are open.
For me getting to the Amex from to Lewes is the easy bit, progressing from there to TN22 is the toughie!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Same happens every game. All the while you have jobsworths in charge on the platform then nothing will change
Plenty of jobsworths in charge of the Coach Park too, nothing can leave until the head honcho deems we can go. And even when he does start to wave the coaches out it is always in a haphazard fashion.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
4 or 5 'strays' entered via the little gate east bound, wanting to go over the platform based bridge for the west bound and were told it was quicker to get the train to Lewes and change for the next train back to Falmer/Brighton.
As for the short platforms at Lewes - this is generally announced before leaving Falmer, approaching Lewes and at Lewes; that the carriage doors are locked and to make your way through to the carriages whose doors are open.
For me getting to the Amex from to Lewes is the easy bit, progressing from there to TN22 is the toughie!
Well if you do insist on living somethere with a Tenterden postcode what do you expect!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I agree they should advise people to do it. But they don't its poor. You could manipulate the displays on the platform to say that the train is going to Lewes only so people think they have to change.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It's also the staff not allowing more people on the platform/train because the train is due to leave, or is already technically late.
Yes which was why my train left half empty from Brighton at about 18:30, seemed silly considering there was still plenty queueing. Although I will say, I found the trains pretty decent yesterday, despite the half empty nonsense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potentially the greatest ever journey.
No more than 5 mins wait across all connections and seats throughout.

Once again proof we need to cut ourselves off from the northerners and tow over to the Caribbean or the Med.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Yup trains from Lewes and back were super today. Sure they were running more services than normal too

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Trains were the best I have seen for a long time.
I could almost stretch myself to say they were exactly what we should expect

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Trains were the best I have seen for a long time.
I could almost stretch myself to say they were exactly what we should expect
All we need is half the line not running and we're good to go.

This country - freakin joke.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Left at the full time whistle and got the 1713 to Eastbourne. The staff even appeared to be checking for wristbands on the priority walkway which was less busy presumably as a result.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Quite. I can't believe how many people are actually 'applauding' the trains today. It's absolutely absurd "I'm alright Jack" stuff
Not sure about. I think they've not realised that the engineering works that have benefited them have caused issues for people on other routes. For example my post match falmer to eastbourne was awash with long and frequent trains. But I knew why

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here