Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains For Derby Match - 2nd May

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It is reasonable to expect contingency plans for paying travellers and that some form of communication would be going on within the organisation that could be transmitted to help stranded passengers. Even in a tragic case such as you cite.

They said that there was an incident near Arundel, so they communicated that, maybe they thought it better not to give out any more detail than that

How can they announce when the line will be open again if it is something that can take 5 minutes or 5 hours to resolve? If there isn't a diversionary route trains can take around the incident, what can they do? - if you don't know how long it will take, how can you advise passengers whats the best way to get home (send them to a bus station only for the line to reopen minutes later?)

Admittedly i don't use the trains very often but i think that in the past there was an incident which affected my route and i ended up waiting on a train for several hours whilst it was dealt with with no information about how long we would be there and so on. (i think the train i was on was approaching the station in question)

If it was a planned disruption, then yes it's fair to assume that they would plan or it and provide help to passengers (replacement bus service) but are they supposed to have a fleet of buses and drivers on stand by just in case of something like that? - is that reasonable?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess it's strange that there are trains timetabled for Monday 30th May, also a bank holiday, but not for the 2nd.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just contacted a GWR planner (family friend)says there's no service planned for our neck of the woods other than bus replacement!
More and more evidence of no trains, and a monumental cock up in rearranging this fixture.

Are the club completely unaware, or can they just not be bothered to clarify the transport situation ? ???

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If it's true that there will be no trains, would it not be sensible for the club to tell sky to go **** themselves and take a fine? It could be more cost effective.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If there is no trains, the match has basically been moved for sky from a day with trains to a day without trains.

If this is the case, would 'shambolic' be too harsh an assessment ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Perhaps there are no trains currently listed because the club are currently negotiating with Southern Rail?

So why are the club looking at trains from Portsmouth to Chichester on that date as these are also not listed on the Southern webpage.

It would seem that Southern are being their usual useless selves

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps there are no trains currently listed because the club are currently negotiating with Southern Rail?

I think you may have a point! Maybe southern are now looking to change timetable to accommodate fixture change ? Would be interesting to know if timetable was showing prior to fixture change being announced

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
Looks like a no, all trains showing cancelled in system that day, guessing a planned engineering block that day, would guess train operator will supply rail replacement buses nearer time.

This was the text I received, as previously mentioned, from a GWR planner - SO YES ENGINEERING IS A GUESS. Where are all the Southern ITK folk on NSC to clarify it shouldn't be that hard to find out.

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Our attempt to get to the bottom of it. Sigh.

[tweet]710444484052586496[/tweet]
[tweet]710448154559291392[/tweet]
[tweet]710450824724484096[/tweet]
[tweet]710469544582762498[/tweet]
[tweet]710547435261665280[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you may have a point! Maybe southern are now looking to change timetable to accommodate fixture change ? Would be interesting to know if timetable was showing prior to fixture change being announced

there are no trains showing for the whole of the 2nd on east and west coast lines, including Lewes to HH. showing 4 trains an hour up and down BML to HH, we know there are works at London Vic which would probably reduce the number of trains.

el punal

So what if the incident at Arundel was caused by someone jumping in front of a train to commit suicide? - It's reasonable then to assume that the staff at your station would therefore have no idea when the line would reopen as the aftermath of the incident would have to be cleared first, how would a member of staff working on a station platform know how long this would take, or what service the buses, etc were running on New Years day?
Exactly! So someone "up the line", excuse the pun, would have some idea as to how serious the problem was, an approximate time for resolving it, and what contingency plans could be put in place. It's the complete lack of information passed (or not) to staff at the coal face that is the bug-bear in all of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here