Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains For Derby Match - 2nd May

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I reckon they've not uploaded the timetables yet, as it's a Bank Holiday.

There are no engineering works listed currently which would indicate no train services on that day around Sussex.

Can't believe that there are no trains on a bank holiday Monday, and mainly the last bloody home game of the season, tossers
I suspect this isn't the case see two posts up!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Don't they have to liaise with the club and travel etc. for a game to be moved? If there were absolutely no trains to the ground that day then I doubt they would go ahead with it...surely?!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Southern website is just a joke.

If there are no trains, then they must provide replacement buses to meet their contractual requirements, but no rather like their appalling service they give the impression that there is no service that day what so ever, but its not Christmas time so some service must be running.

el punal

Southern website is just a joke.

If there are no trains, then they must provide replacement buses to meet their contractual requirements, but no rather like their appalling service they give the impression that there is no service that day what so ever, but its not Christmas time so some service must be running.
Far be it from me to kick a man when he's down or in this case the magnificent organisation known as Southern Railway, but a little story that sums up SASTA :

Following the Wolves game on the 1st January I caught a (yep, delayed) train from Brighton to Southampton. It got as far as Worthing when the driver announced that " this train terminates here, everybody please leave the train." The station staff had no information other than an incident had occurred at Arundel. When was the next train due? Don't know. Will there be a service throughout the evening? Don't know. If there are no trains at all will there be alternative transport to take us to our final destination? Don't know.

So with this wealth of information I went for a walk around the block to calm my fast rising temper, to return in time for a train to be present going westbound. On I hopped on only to find that it was only going to Littlehampton!! I exited at West Worthing. Same palaver again. Same questions, same non-answers.

It was my final question that prompted the best response ever - "How can I get back to Southampton if there are no trains? Can I hire a taxi and charge Southern for the fare?" No, was the reply - try catching a bus. "What, I said, at 8 o'clock at night on New Year's Day to go to Southampton, over fifty miles away?"

The reply : "Can't help you mate. I'm shutting the station up and I'm going home."

Now that's what I call customer service!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Far be it from me to kick a man when he's down or in this case the magnificent organisation known as Southern Railway, but a little story that sums up SASTA :

Following the Wolves game on the 1st January I caught a (yep, delayed) train from Brighton to Southampton. It got as far as Worthing when the driver announced that " this train terminates here, everybody please leave the train." The station staff had no information other than an incident had occurred at Arundel. When was the next train due? Don't know. Will there be a service throughout the evening? Don't know. If there are no trains at all will there be alternative transport to take us to our final destination? Don't know.

So with this wealth of information I went for a walk around the block to calm my fast rising temper, to return in time for a train to be present going westbound. On I hopped on only to find that it was only going to Littlehampton!! I exited at West Worthing. Same palaver again. Same questions, same non-answers.

It was my final question that prompted the best response ever - "How can I get back to Southampton if there are no trains? Can I hire a taxi and charge Southern for the fare?" No, was the reply - try catching a bus. "What, I said, at 8 o'clock at night on New Year's Day to go to Southampton, over fifty miles away?"

The reply : "Can't help you mate. I'm shutting the station up and I'm going home."

That is totally disgraceful!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I remember some problems with the trains meant my missing my last connection. As there were no other trains, the rail company (not SASTA but I'm sure the same rules apply) were obliged to put me in a taxi for the last 20 miles of the journey. I'm surprised that nothing was done to help you

D

Deleted User X18H

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD . Will you listen to yourselves . The reason trains aren't showing on the online timetable is because the advance tickets aren't available yet FFS. It's mid March trains for May won't be advertised yet. There will very likely be a Saturday service. Moan moan moan

el punal

I remember some problems with the trains meant my missing my last connection. As there were no other trains, the rail company (not SASTA but I'm sure the same rules apply) were obliged to put me in a taxi for the last 20 miles of the journey. I'm surprised that nothing was done to help you

Well the conclusion to my story was a train eventually did turn up. Although having left Brighton at 6.00 pm (ish) I finally got to Southampton at around 11pm. Five hours later!! I claimed a delay repay-ment.

My beef was the complete late of advice and information from train and station staff. They're experts in apologising but useless at addressing and solving any issue that arises. Almost a case of "Nothing to do with me, guv."

el punal

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD . Will you listen to yourselves . The reason trains aren't showing on the online timetable is because the advance tickets aren't available yet FFS. It's mid March trains for May won't be advertised yet. There will very likely be a Saturday service. Moan moan moan

For crying out loud!! The information required was how to get Brighton on 2nd of May and how much would it cost. It's six weeks away, not f***ing next year. You don't know that it will be a Saturday service and that is the problem, there is NO information, otherwise we would all sleep more soundly in our beds. Moan moan moan!

D

Deleted User X18H

For crying out loud!! The information required was how to get Brighton on 2nd of May and how much would it cost. It's six weeks away, not f***ing next year. You don't know that it will be a Saturday service and that is the problem, there is NO information, otherwise we would all sleep more soundly in our beds. Moan moan moan!
Oh no there won't be any trains to Brighton on a bank holiday in May. Gawd forbid. There will be practically no one here . (wishful thinking)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Except trains are advertised the day before, and the day after :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

train times currently show up until 7th June, including for the 30th May bank holiday. so its rather odd they arent showing for 2nd May.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Hang on nobber, National rail show no available services on the 2nd of may. They show them on the 1st and the 3rd and also on the 30th (another bank holiday) so it looks like, as per usual, you're talking bollocks.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
if push comes to shove I am sure we will be told to seek alternative modes of transport. Does anybody think the train situation would be a factor in deciding not to shift the game? I'd like to think so but in reality I think it would require a complete Southern shutdown and a bus strike before they'd consider it.

D

Deleted User X18H

RIGHT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. If there are no trains on 2nd May you can all come around here the night before and we'll get taxis. It's not far.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
RIGHT I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. If there are no trains on 2nd May you can all come around here the night before and we'll get taxis. It's not far.

Everyone agrees there will be trains.

You were wrong with this however:

The reason trains aren't showing on the online timetable is because the advance tickets aren't available yet FFS. It's mid March trains for May won't be advertised yet.

Trains/tickets are currently bookable up to and including 7th June, being 12 weeks from now. As is always the case.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Would like to hear Southerns excuse for deleting all bank holiday trains from their timetable. Maybe it's due to a shortage of office staff ? As opposed to shortage of train crew ? Maybe a leaf has blown into their computer comms room ? Maybe it's the wrong type of humidity in their office ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here