Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains delayed

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That is shocking, hopefully the diabetic pulls through and Network Rail don't end up with having blood on their hands.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Looks horrific. Hope everyone is ok. Luckily I dont need to travel to London too often for work. When I do I find the service appauling for commuters who pay thousands for the privilidge..

djlazyness

Oct 21, 2011
Peacehaven
near enough every single day when I leave work in Haywards Heath at 2pm to get the train back to Brighton I am faced with some kind of delay at the station. Yesterday I didn't get back into Brighton until 3:15 after I thought it would be quicker to get the Littlehampton train to Hove then change at Hove to Brighton of course when I got to hove I just missed the train back to Brighton so I had to wait another 15 mins! The train service just sucks and I fully expect that later today when I leave work I will be delayed once again :(

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
These Network Rail barstewards are going to end up in court on a corporate manslaughter charge if they're not very careful.

im afraid its fear of this sort of thing that leads to them keeping everyone on the train, rather than the short, if tricky footing walk to the road. as i passed by this morning one train was adjacent to the engineering access stairs, the other maybe a few hundred yards back down the line. power is off, so whats the risk? but they are liable if they take that action and someone injures themself, where as if they keep everyone on the train they've performed their duty of care.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Left on the 7:48 from Preston Park, dumped at Balham. Decided to head straight back knowing it will be hell all day/night. Just got in.

Hours of waiting, walking, 4 trains followed by a walk back from Brighton as nothing was going to ppark.

My advice is get the heck out of town now via Waterloo

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
im afraid its fear of this sort of thing that leads to them keeping everyone on the train, rather than the short, if tricky footing walk to the road. as i passed by this morning one train was adjacent to the engineering access stairs, the other maybe a few hundred yards back down the line. power is off, so whats the risk? but they are liable if they take that action and someone injures themself, where as if they keep everyone on the train they've performed their duty of care.

Trouble is, many on the train are going to be wound up dangerously TIGHT psychologically after a couple of hours trapped on a train with no movement and little or no information. Natural response for some would be to kick the door in and take their chances trackside. At least that way you've seized control of your own destiny from the rail network c*nts who are by that point basically holding you captive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
WFH today thankfully. Looks like there was a massive (non Network Rail) fire at Deptford as well as the power supply issues at Clapham this morning ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I might as well make the 'Trains Delayed' thread a sticky, seeing as it has to be bounced every single day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A faulty conductor rail knocked the shoegear (which picks up the power supply from the 3rd rail) off a train, which ended up being stuck. That in turn caused a major power failure which stalled trains on the same line. A couple were evacuated and 1 was hauled back to Wandsworth by a diesel locomotive.

Things took ages to sort as it wasnt quickly realised how severe the problem was, at first it was just 1 stranded train which could have been rescued easily, but the power was soon knocked out to the whole Clapham and Wandsworth area, making things 1 Million times worse. Therefore you had already stretched resources further stretched which resulted in people being stuck with no power, air con, toilets or water for around 5 hours in some cases - that is unacceptable.

Southern will no doubt be forking out millions for this.....which will all of course be paid out by Network Rail as their infrastructure caused all of this today.

For the evening rush, a queuing system is in place at Victoria with only 2 lines open between Battersea and Balham (the other 2 lines are shut for emergency works and blocked by stranded trains). Using Thameslink is the best option, mainly from St Pancras and Farringdon which would be less busy than London Bridge or Blackfriars.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A faulty conductor rail knocked the shoegear (which picks up the power supply from the 3rd rail) off a train, which ended up being stuck. That in turn caused a major power failure which stalled trains on the same line. A couple were evacuated and 1 was hauled back to Wandsworth by a diesel locomotive.

Things took ages to sort as it wasnt quickly realised how severe the problem was, at first it was just 1 stranded train which could have been rescued easily, but the power was soon knocked out to the whole Clapham and Wandsworth area, making things 1 Million times worse. Therefore you had already stretched resources further stretched which resulted in people being stuck with no power, air con, toilets or water for around 5 hours in some cases - that is unacceptable.

Southern will no doubt be forking out millions for this.....which will all of course be paid out by Network Rail as their infrastructure caused all of this today.

For the evening rush, a queuing system is in place at Victoria with only 2 lines open between Battersea and Balham (the other 2 lines are shut for emergency works and blocked by stranded trains). Using Thameslink is the best option, mainly from St Pancras and Farringdon which would be less busy than London Bridge or Blackfriars.

Thanks for the information. I always check these threads as we actually get to hear what is really happening from you guys on the ground, it is much appreciated.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Reckon you could make a small fortune by starting a subscription-only media channel for commuters. Seriously. The information you give out on here is infinitely superior to that given out by the railway's official media channels. Give it a serious think. Top work :clap2:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Reckon you could make a small fortune by starting a subscription-only media channel for commuters. Seriously. The information you give out on here is infinitely superior to that given out by the railway's official media channels. Give it a serious think. Top work :clap2:

Its because certain people in the rail industry think passengers are thick and wouldnt understand the full story - Brighton Station on Twitter, which isnt affiliated with Southern at all, gives out a lot of useful info as well, more so than Southern.

And no, thats not happening, I've been told the story - just passing it on here, I mean people do deserve to know whats happened. Admittedly it is a huge cock-up for Network Rail though which will cost them massively, no doubt Southern will be fuming as well. Additional costs to the BTP, LFB and LAS may also follow for their assistance, not to mention all the replacement buses and additional staff called in at busy stations this evening.

This will also result in trains being removed from service to be repaired, being peak time services, they were probably formed of about 3 4-car trains each, so potentially 36 coaches out of service for a short period - ouch.

The damaged trains are now all moved from the area - the line is also being fixed right now - it SHOULD reopen this evening.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
near enough every single day when I leave work in Haywards Heath at 2pm to get the train back to Brighton I am faced with some kind of delay at the station. Yesterday I didn't get back into Brighton until 3:15 after I thought it would be quicker to get the Littlehampton train to Hove then change at Hove to Brighton of course when I got to hove I just missed the train back to Brighton so I had to wait another 15 mins! The train service just sucks and I fully expect that later today when I leave work I will be delayed once again :(

I like the idea of a job that finishes at 2pm.......unless you have an horrifically early start as well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here