Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train fares to London

:lol: well played.

It seems the only people who have something positive to say are those who work for them (any of the *******s) and presumably they get free travel.
As a daily user of Southern's services on the Coastway East route, I pronounce myself very satisfied with reliability, punctuality, comfort, price and the quality of information available to passengers.

Try the local trains around Manchester or Sheffield and you'll have something to complain about.

Some of the trains up there, quite literally, are buses with railway wheel-sets attached to the bottom - a million miles worse than what Southern have !!
Back in the mid-eighties, I had the dubious pleasure of attending the launch of the first Pacer Class 141 contraptions to enter service on behalf of the Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive. Even before it went into passenger service, it was uncomfortable, noisy and prone to break down. The folk from the PTE and British Rail made a valiant attempt to talk up the project during the ride, but none of us on board could hear what they were saying. And the seats were unbelievably uncomfortable.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Have you got any further details for this ??

It's called the 'Southern Saver' or if you prefer the 'FCC Saver', the Southern Saver includes the buses on B&H as per a normal saver plus train travel on Southern trains for the day (off peak restrictions) Monday to Friday but none on weekends/Bank Holidays. It's cracking value for £14 if you have to catch a bus to the station and want to go to Southampton or Victoria for the day. Just ask the bus driver on your first bus for it, no bookings or anything required in advance but you can only buy it on the bus.

FCC saver is similar but costs £18 and is valid between Brighton and Bedford.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
As Ernest has pointed out, there are cheap fares to and from London out there, but only if you travel to arrive after 10am (I think?).

Every time I book to come home from Uni I always ensure I book well in advance. For example yesterday I came back down south for Easter, and the Victoria to Brighton train cost me £3 (with Railcard), on the day if i'd have walked up and paid it would've cost me north of £20.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was impressed with Virgin trains to Liverpool last year, for the FAC game.
Despite the disparate and old nature of Britain's train system, that was a remarkably quick service, on time, clean, nice seat sizes, polite staff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But if you are in the know you can knock at least £15/20 off it

But this is one of the major issues with the rail system. Why should you need to be in the know? Why cant they just sell the "in the know" price? It's so bloody diffucult and complicated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A Travelcard from Hove to London, arriving before 10am, is £52.30. Absolute Joke. I honestly cannot think of anything which represents worse value for money.

and if you arrive after 10am? half isnt it? called supply and demand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The FACTS are out there and can be found if you can be bothered to look. Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy 2 tickets rather than one.

I'm not disputing the facts are out there but some of the ways to get cheaper tickets are just plain bizarre. I recall a broadsheet's part serious part humorous guide to rail ticketing a few years back and some of it was just plain crazy and nonsensical. Things like buying 12 tickets instead of 1 was the cheapest deal. The crowning glory was an inter-city return which was made cheaper by buying a season ticket for a service on the isle of white; something to do with all season tickets giving you certain discounts on the rail system as a whole. ****ing crazy. Why don't they just factor all this shit into the tickets in the first place?

And as I said to a stroppy Southern guard last week who got the hump because I inadvertently swore when talking to him about his utterly shit service, "you are defending the indefensible."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and if you arrive after 10am? half isnt it? called supply and demand.

I often see the demand of rail travel. It's the supply bit they struggle with.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some of the trains up there, quite literally, are buses with railway wheel-sets attached to the bottom .

Whisper: I think you'll find they're called trams :smile:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Prices are bizarre. Cost me £4.95 last Saturday from Milton Keynes to Brighton. Made the victory over Palace even sweeter.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm not disputing the facts are out there but some of the ways to get cheaper tickets are just plain bizarre. I recall a broadsheet's part serious part humorous guide to rail ticketing a few years back and some of it was just plain crazy and nonsensical. Things like buying 12 tickets instead of 1 was the cheapest deal. The crowning glory was an inter-city return which was made cheaper by buying a season ticket for a service on the isle of white; something to do with all season tickets giving you certain discounts on the rail system as a whole. ****ing crazy. Why don't they just factor all this shit into the tickets in the first place?

And as I said to a stroppy Southern guard last week who got the hump because I inadvertently swore when talking to him about his utterly shit service, "you are defending the indefensible."

You are right, but privatisation was never about what is best for the customer but for the shareholder. Anyway your newsagents has reopened on Church Road

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is it though? The train is going to leave the station whether there is 1 person or 100 people paying to get on it.

8:30am it will be at the higher end of that range, so they can charge more. 9:30,the lower end since as you say they'll be going through the station anyway, charge less. do you see?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here