Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Disruption at Wivelsfield Due to a Fatality

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Poor sod, whoever it was. Currently sat on a train at London Bridge, not sure how/when I'll get be getting back to Lancing now but it's hardly a big issue considering the news that some poor family are going to be getting.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've noticed recently that they are much less subtle on the tannoys at train station's these days.

"blah blah blah, delay, blah blah, person under a train at Balcombe...."

Always used to be described as a 'fatality'.

On the Tube the official script is "a person on the track" which applies to trespassers and jumpers.

Didn't it used to be "one under"?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've been debating whether to share this with NSC for a few days, but I am currently in a psychiatric unit for trying to kill myself last week. In fairness, having been able to keep hold of my iPad and access NSC has been one of the things that have kept me going, but a thread as insensitive as this has not especially helped.

Sorry for going off on one, I didn't really want this to turn into a look at me post, but sometimes it would be nice if people thought about how they are posting on subjects as sensitive as this. Sorry.

I hope that you are getting the support that you need and deserve. Well done for opening up, you'll find that many, many people care about you, including those who don't know you personally, but know you through NSC.

Also well done for changing the thread title, whichever mod did it. What a shame that Timmy, once again, has shown what an insensitive tw@t he is. And Dougdeep too. Shameful.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
On the Tube the official script is "a person on the track" which applies to trespassers and jumpers.

Didn't it used to be "one under"?

One under is the code isn't it? I'm sure they said it on the Railway documentary last year.

What do our resident Railway gurus know about this?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Thanks guys, it's been a pretty shithouse week to be fair, but the staff here are pretty good, and there's fewer people here talking to the radios in their heads than you might think. Family and friends have been ace, can honestly say the NHS is a ruddy marvel. Looking forward to coming out, but not entirely sure that's going to be for a while. That said I'm going to stream the shit out of the Burton game tonight!!
My mums been in and out here and they do a marvellous job for sure...Long as you've got friends and family around and focus on good things then you'll come through with flying colours bud.Life is precious and you have lots and lots to enjoy out there,the light at the end of the tunnel will appear im sure :)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
On the train that 'hit' the person. Been stuck for well over an hour, about 30 seconds from burgess hill where I want to get off.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Good Luck W/ite :)

I was going to Burgess Hill v Faversham but had to abort. Not bothered about missing the game, more concerned some people's loved one won't be going home again...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I would have thought that, after losing one of our own in Roy Chuter, that people on here would be much more sensitive.

Worthingite, hope you can now benefit from friends & family....and a good win from our Albion tonight!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would have thought that, after losing one of our own in Roy Chuter, that people on here would be much more sensitive.

Worthingite, hope you can now benefit from friends & family....and a good win from our Albion tonight!

Amen to that.

How can on judge someone whom sees fit to end their life by jumping in front of a train? One should thank their lucky stars that they have never been there.

Worthingite - PM sent.

Edit: title changed. Do not make a mockery of suicide.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Yeah you have to be seriously ill to do that and its a horrific way to go that's for sure.Very hard to understand i guess due to the mental state,but jumping in front of trains has to be the no 1 suicide in the country.

I have heard tonight there have been 14 suicides on the railway since Sunday three of them on the Southern region (Preston Park, Carshalton and tonight's at Wivelsfield). Just hope the driver is okay as all he was doing is his job yet something like this could end his career.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I heard that it was more risk of killing somebody as a train driver these days than as a soldier. Not meant to be flippant just stats

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This thread strikes me as one of the more reserved on the subject. I've seen WAY worse over the last few years...

The usual suspects have been a little quiet on this matter since they posted their usual insensitive rubbish on the thread that involved Roy Chuter.

Embarrassed? Suitably chastised? I don't know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Drove past around 7, around 10 police cars, couple of ambulances etc there. Very sad, condolences to the family and anyone else affected.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The usual suspects have been a little quiet on this matter since they posted their usual insensitive rubbish on the thread that involved Roy Chuter.

Embarrassed? Suitably chastised? I don't know.

Friends I have had who have struggled with mental illness have tended to be very intelligent, thoughtful people. Whereas, (in my experience) the more cerebrally challenged tend to be the first to dive in, two footed, without any concept of the implications of their actions.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Friends I have had who have struggled with mental illness have tended to be very intelligent, thoughtful people. Whereas, (in my experience) the more cerebrally challenged tend to be the first to dive in, two footed, without any concept of the implications of their actions.

That certainly rings true in my experiences.

A bit of empathy never goes amiss. I teach kids with a multiple amount of problems, but many show great amounts of empathy and sympathy. They should be basic human traits for all.

Seperate problem now - signalling down at H Heath - 3 and a half hours and counting so far for me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've been debating whether to share this with NSC for a few days, but I am currently in a psychiatric unit for trying to kill myself last week. In fairness, having been able to keep hold of my iPad and access NSC has been one of the things that have kept me going, but a thread as insensitive as this has not especially helped.

Sorry for going off on one, I didn't really want this to turn into a look at me post, but sometimes it would be nice if people thought about how they are posting on subjects as sensitive as this. Sorry.

Very brave of you to share. Actually clicked in after the thread title was changed because I am on my way back from a late meeting in London and wanted to know when I'd get back. This puts it in perspective. Stay strong, glad you are getting help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here