Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Town v Brighton preview from a Town fan

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If I were an Udders fan I'd be delighted with the banker 3 points but I'd know very little about the Brighton team, how they play and where the threat is coming from. I hope you do put Church out right, is he good at tracking back? Underestimate us at your peril.

Terrier1987cas

Nov 15, 2012
If I were an Udders fan I'd be delighted with the banker 3 points but I'd know very little about the Brighton team, how they play and where the threat is coming from. I hope you do put Church out right, is he good at tracking back? Underestimate us at your peril.

I don't think I've underestimated you at all, I've stated you have plenty of quality and your current form doesn't necessarily do you justice, while I've also pointed out your defensive quality and predicted a hard fought win - I wouldn't call that underestimating you at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd suggest that your comment that it's a good time to play Brighton "given their current form" misses the fact that we have totally dominated teams and hit the bar or the post a few times. Not saying we are going to win but we are actually in decent form, Dobbie has come good in the last two games, Orlandi has brought trickery to the midfield and CMS has refound his scoring touch. Someone is going to get a spanking from us soon and rather than take 1 win in 9 as something to take confidence from maybe you should be concerned that we are playing too well for that terrible statistic to continue.

A rocket from Gus last week wil hopefully concentrate the minds of our defenders too. If Bridge doesn't play that WILL be a blow for us though, seems a bit touch and go.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't think I've underestimated you at all, I've stated you have plenty of quality and your current form doesn't necessarily do you justice, while I've also pointed out your defensive quality and predicted a hard fought win - I wouldn't call that underestimating you at all.

It's just how I read it ... I hope Grayson focuses on our defensive qualities too. My view is we offer a much greater threat going forward and have (arguably) the best 2 attacking FB's in the league and in Buckley a versatile and frightenley quick wide man. Our shots on/off target will be amongst the best in the div too and if we weren't so wasteful we'd be doing a whole lot better ... the wastefulness is changing

Last edited:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Result wise we've been on bad form but if you look at our match reports we've probably been the better side in all the games during the run (bar Blackpool and Leicester).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think that is a pretty fair summation from a Town perspective.

The only thing I take issue with is our quality on the pitch has not been as bad as our form would suggest. We have put in bad performances (Blackpool, first half against Posh), but we've also game some periods of play by the scruff of the neck. I see us coming good eventually.

Town will be tough to break down, as will we, and I don't think this game will see a hatful of goals. There will be one goal. Sadly, I think it won't be ours.

Of course, the result will now no doubt be 6-5 to the Albion.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Agreed with most generally a good summary but I think you have focused on our results not the form, as others have said we have generally played well, had plenty of possession and many shoots when we bring our shooting boots some one is in for a hiding.
I think this game has draw written all over it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Never been to the new ground. I have been past the old ground on the way to Rochdale though.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/huddersfield_town/index.htm

Quite a few recognisable names in the side which means they must have attracted my notice by playing well.

It was not only Rhodes and Beckford seems a made to measure replacement, so I expect them to be an effective team. I have heard vague reports they are not a footballing side in the purest sense and will not hesitate to lump it. Maybe that is how Rhodes got his goals Novak might be more refined though ???

Terrier1987cas

Nov 15, 2012
Having not seen Brighton other than on TV against L**ds I wasn't aware of whether you'd been playing well or not, it's hard to get a real grasp on other teams performances from the Football League Show or newspaper reports. It sounds like you are playing well from what you've all said though so it should be a good game this weekend. As for us not playing football, it seems to depend on the opposition - at Wednesday we passed them off the park but at Blackpool we knew how they played so went more direct, so we tend to base our game plans around the team we're playing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. As for us not playing football, it seems to depend on the opposition - at Wednesday we passed them off the park but at Blackpool we knew how they played so went more direct, so we tend to base our game plans around the team we're playing.

If Gus has a fault, it's not taking into account how the opposition play. We seem to try and play the same way every game and this has resulted in decent managers setting up their teams to chase us down and give us no time on the ball, whilst hitting us on the break. They score and park the bus. We struggle to vary our game enough to break them down, although with Dobbie and Orlandi having good feet in and around the box we may be on the way to solving this.

Whilst we have some excellent players we do lack a driving, cajoling player to encourage us forward, it is often a very laboured build up and when Buckley breaks fast there are generally too few players in the box when he puts in a cross. We also need our midfielders to start chipping in with goals

In short, turning our dominance into goals has posed problems in low scoring games.

Last edited:

Acetripper

Apr 23, 2009
The issue of changing your team set-up to take account of the opposition is interesting and a crucial one in my view. I reckon the reason why the Championship is so wide open and on their day any team can beat another is down to teams changing their tactics every game. This season at Huddersfield Town we've got our tactics 'bang on' in some games and been 'left wanting' in others. On the whole we've got it right away from home where our approach has been high tempo, all action, hard work , etc. Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool and Birmingham City being good examples but we've come unstuck at one or two places where the home team have been ready for it and out muscled us; Peterborough and Millwall away being examples of this!

At home we've been patchy! Leicester City (0-2) and Nottingham Forest (2-2) completely outplayed us, we were lucky to grab a last minute equaliser against Blackburn Rovers (2-2) but we played some of our best football for many a year against Wolves (2-1).

So...tomorrow! Simon Grayson has warned that Brighton & HA play 'keep ball' so it sounds like we'll be trying to get at your lads and unsettle your pattern of play. 'If' we play like we've done at some of those away games where we've got into the oppositions faces, not given them a minute and broken quickly on the counter attack it sounds like we could get something. Playing that way usually means you have to score (a couple) early to put the visitors completely on the back foot and not allow them to settle. Then it's a case of keeping focussed and maintaining the high tempo - Easier said than done! CMS always has a good game against us too and I'm sure you have other players who, if we allow them to play their passing game will pick us apart!

Our team is nothing like the one under Lee Clark we have better players with more awareness so one thing for sure it's going to be interesting! Have a safe journey up to 'God's Own' and may the best team win!:lolol:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
....although with Dobbie and Orlandi having good feet in and around the box we may be on the way to solving this.

This is the key to our success going forward for sure... assuming Gus doesn't revert to type and put Barn Door back in the starting lineup again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here