Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour de blabla

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you want to ride a bike as sport I guess that's fine. No more stupid than riding a horse.

The morons are the people who turn out to watch folks riding by on bikes. What possible interest in that? Oh, there goes a guy on a bike. Oh there goes another, and another. And here comes another one. Why do they all dress so silly, mummy?

As a spectator sport, even if you are interested in bikes, it beggars belief. You have no idea who won, so what's the point of watching? You cannot marvel at their technique as they dash by in a couple of seconds, so what's the point of watching?

Kinda reminds me of my one visit to Henley. You stand on the river bank as boats go by. You have no idea what's going on, who's winning, does anyone win, does anyone care?

I challenge anyone to give me one good reason as to why it would even be worth going to the end of your street to watch it?

Haha this

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you want to ride a bike as sport I guess that's fine. No more stupid than riding a horse.

The morons are the people who turn out to watch folks riding by on bikes. What possible interest in that? Oh, there goes a guy on a bike. Oh there goes another, and another. And here comes another one. Why do they all dress so silly, mummy?

As a spectator sport, even if you are interested in bikes, it beggars belief. You have no idea who won, so what's the point of watching? You cannot marvel at their technique as they dash by in a couple of seconds, so what's the point of watching?

Kinda reminds me of my one visit to Henley. You stand on the river bank as boats go by. You have no idea what's going on, who's winning, does anyone win, does anyone care?

I challenge anyone to give me one good reason as to why it would even be worth going to the end of your street to watch it?

Haha this

Now look here you two, I realise you can't help it, mother nature simply didn't give you the capacity to conceive of notions out of your own realm of understanding. But look here right, 4 or 5 million ordinary folk came out onto the streets to enjoy themselves. It doesn't matter if they were interested in bikes or not. They decorated their houses, they invited family and friends round, every community centre and sports club put on fun days, had barbecue's, gatherings were everywhere. Pubs were full, every town, village, nook, creak and cragg crammed. People came in out in their millions and collectively just enjoyed a great couple of days to witness a spectacle. It was a village fete on a grand scale. You couldn't recreate what happened in Yorkshire this weekend with any other event. They embraced it and they loved it.

If you have any sense of community and there is an event near you, it could be the Scout's or Children's parade, could be a 10k run, whatever, then there are those that come out to watch and support whether the event is important to them or not but simply wish to be part of it, or there are those that don't….

D

Deleted member 22389

Now look here you two, I realise you can't help it, mother nature simply didn't give you the capacity to conceive of notions out of your own realm of understanding. But look here right, 4 or 5 million ordinary folk came out onto the streets to enjoy themselves. It doesn't matter if they were interested in bikes or not. They decorated their houses, they invited family and friends round, every community centre and sports club put on fun days, had barbecue's, gatherings were everywhere. Pubs were full, every town, village, nook, creak and cragg crammed. People came in out in their millions and collectively just enjoyed a great couple of days to witness a spectacle. It was a village fete on a grand scale. You couldn't recreate what happened in Yorkshire this weekend with any other event. They embraced it and they loved it.

If you have any sense of community and there is an event near you, it could be the Scout's or Children's parade, could be a 10k run, whatever, then there are those that come out to watch and support whether the event is important to them or not but simply wish to be part of it, or there are those that don't….

Correct, in France it is an honour to have the TDF passing through your village or town. It's more than just about the cycling, it's all about people getting together.
Watching it on TV I didn't realise how nice Yorkshire looked. I can bet you the TV coverage alone will be a big boost for tourism.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps they should call it the Tour de blabla and send us up there-this thread is leading the official one on both views and replies......maybe 10 million would come out for us,as we are more popular,so there!!!! uber uber uber :lolol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Two good reasons:

• To show your support to some of the most dedicated athletes in the world
  • To get caught up in the whole atmosphere of the thing.

...then you can continue to follow it on telly, knowing that you played a small part in it.

In a similar way, you could say "what's the point in going to a football match when you can watch it on telly?"

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've just seen the Postman cycle past the house, not all that exciting.
yawn.gif
.............and he wasn't in spandex which was a bonus.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Just shows how many people there are out there with very very empty lives. Village fetes are great. Guys in spandex riding bikes through your village is not.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In fairness, **** all has happened in Yorkshire since Christmas day so they were all dying for a reason to get out house probably.

Beats bread making and whippet breading I suppose

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just shows how many people there are out there with very very empty lives. Village fetes are great. Guys in spandex riding bikes through your village is not.

Get them to clear up their mess afterwards too,obviously far too much time on their hands,bet the rolling hills look like a waste tip now..

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Two good reasons:

• To show your support to some of the most dedicated athletes in the world
  • To get caught up in the whole atmosphere of the thing.

...then you can continue to follow it on telly, knowing that you played a small part in it.

In a similar way, you could say "what's the point in going to a football match when you can watch it on telly?"

You CANNOT compare watching a football match to watching a bike race. At the former you get to watch and enjoy the ebb and flow of the entire game and the skills of 22 players on the pitch ... and at the end you know the result. The latter? A bunch of guys ride bikes past you. Exciting ... no. Vaguely interesting ... no.

And the benefit of watching football live is that you can see what is going on off the ball rather than being totally focussed by the TV cameras on the guy with the ball.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

All I hear from this is blabla tour de blabla

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've just seen the Postman cycle past the house, not all that exciting.
yawn.gif
.............and he wasn't in spandex which was a bonus.

Is your postman planning on cycling 3,664 kilometres (2,290 miles) in 21 days? If so fair play to him and he gets my applause too.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here