[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I hate VAR even when it works out to your advantage
The Wellbeck goal would have been given in the last few decades without anyone even questioning it.
The dream of 4th spot has been ended by a computer

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m raging about the decisions and officiating but leaving that aside more importantly on the performance front going forward concerning Mac looked very tired and sloppy in possession. Sollys has gone off the boil and Veltman defensively a bit suspect.
Yet we should have had 4 goals. Can't be that bad.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
After the final whistle today I find I can only whole-heartedly agree with you.
But what can be done?

The first goal was top of the arm / shoulder, so possibly contentious - but the nudge in the back that forced Mitoma to be in that position - so penalty, no?.
The second hit Ali Mac with his arms tight into body, what I believe the experts call "in a natural position" - let those go, but not us!
And the step on Mitoma's foot for a foul in the box was just a disgrace that the ref wasn't even asked to take a look on the monitor.
Even the biased 2nd commentator called it.
Beggars belief is the only way I can articulate my current state of outrage!

How can these ridiculous errors be resolved?
I think the only way is for clubs to start a campaign against Howard Webb, he is ultimately the man in charge and he hasnt got a grip on it. The buck stops with him and if he cant get in place a system that stops such blatant errors, or some form of sanctioning of terrible decisions that can cost a whole seasons worth of hard work, he simply has to go.

Sorry means nothing, its not good enough. Fire the VAR official or relegate him for a season to League 2 then maybe you'll show you mean it and put the others on notice. Its a f***ing old boys club thats wholly unaccountable for gross misconduct.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think looking at Twitter you even see fans of other clubs almost universally questioning the decisions made today instead of accusing BHAFC fans of sour grapes.

Very much of the view that the club should put a complaint to both the Premier League and PGMOL about the standard of refereeing within that match. The amount of points we've dropped at this point due to guff officiating is just totally unacceptable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Wellbeck goal would have been given in the last few decades without anyone even questioning it.
No, it's been ended by cheating officials. Maybe the Welbeck goal hit Ali's arm (I'm not sure it did) but Mitoma's goal wasn't handball and we should have had a couple of penalties. We've been absolutely cheated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm pretty confident that you're wrong. Did you watch the game? The officials have cheated us out of that game.
Every minute. As noted above, if there was a genuine conspiracy it was managed exclusively by the VAR official. The man on the pitch could have been much harsher with our players (especially wrt cards) if he was on a mission.

But....my feeling is that unless the VAR official can be shown to have made repeated unequivocal errors, a conspiracy isn't anywhere near to being on the table.

I have intimated that there were four horrible VAR errors today but, on reflection, the two 'handballs' could easily be flagged as such, if you are not signed up to 'the T shirt line' rule (which is, I think a made up TV thing). The shirt pull, mmmmm.... possibly not a pen (I thought it was a pen). Only the foot stamp was nailed on as a pen. So you could argue the VAR official made one egregious error. Is that sufficient to accuse him of corruption?

If it transpires that a conspiracy can't be proven, I would focus on the VAR rubric. Were the two pen shouts checked? If I were the VAR man and decided to have a look (the on pitch referee did not see anything or ask for assistance) would I be able to conclude the referee had not made a clear and obvious error in so few seconds?

So what are the rules? I suspect that VAR checks penalty shouts only if the ref thinks it is a penalty. Can someone confirm this? If so, then the on pitch ref didn't see the shouts and that all there is to it. If VAR can check a missed penalty I am astonished the checks were done so quickly.

And the two disallowed goals - all goals are checked by VAR so there is no suspicion about the fact that checks were done - and the decisions were quick, but were they correct?

Perhaps today's VAR ref simply tried, today, to do what everyone wants, which is to Get VAR Done quickly. And just getting it done without due care and attention can result in inconvenience and error.

It will be interesting to see what happens if this triggers a stink on 6-0-6 and MOTD. I suspect it may.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
No, the dream of 4th spot has just been made a little harder.
We can still do it, and the way we're playing demonstrates that. Today was an utter farce, but it won't always be that way.
Keep the faith, despite the unfairness of it all.
UTA

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Something,  something, has to be done.

VAR cannot be allowed to continue in this manner.

Before you could maybe understand, if not agree, with a ref getting things wrong. But to have a f***ing specific team who's job it is to check things from multiple angles and they still get it wrong?

No. It's incompetence of the highest order and it matters. That could have cost us our first European campaign. That f***ing matters.

It is inexcusable. And if we, as a club, aren't kicking up a stink then I'm afraid we're complicit. Barber has to earn his money now.

Something must be done.
It's NOT incompetence. It's deliberate corruption.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Refs and var need to be held accountable and put into the spotlight.

After every game the ref & var teams need to be interviewed and questioned on the biggest calls, and to give their reasoning.

Too easy for them to play their own game with little to no accountability.
been saying this for years .......some proper suspect refereeing there today and to get mugged by kane fc is really hard to take , we were all over them , 2 goals disallowed and a nailed on pen not even looked at .....im also banned from my local for a month and a few of my spurs supporting associates saw my nasty side tonight ......that'll teach em to take the piss .....f*** em ****s.....on second thoughts nah yea cuntssss...!!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I have never, despite serious provocation, come on here and complained about the officiating of our games before. Not even after Pervis’ disallowed goal at Palace.

I am also usually quite calm shortly after we have lost.

But that? That was disgusting, disgraceful, unforgivable. We have been completely mugged today, and the extent of the bias towards Spurs was so extreme that it surely must be corrupt.

I am livid. Absolutely fuming. And I’m a calm person, honest.

Why f***ing bother?
I feel exactly the same.

I’m hoping this means something, the ’thing’ we need as a team to galvanise us for the run-in.

f*** ‘em

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No, the dream of 4th spot has just been made a little harder.
We can still do it, and the way we're playing demonstrates that. Today was an utter farce, but it won't always be that way.
Keep the faith, despite the unfairness of it all.
UTA
We're now 10 points behind with only 1 game in hand. No chance of 4th. 5th potentially but with the games we've got left I don't see it. Today's officiating has absolutely f***ed us over, end of.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Had Mitoma rolled around in the box, clutching his foot, Kane-like - when he was stamped on by his own teammate, he may have drawn enough attention to the foul to be awarded a penalty.

Instead he just got up and carried on.

That's a better way to be. But, bloody hell, how has it come to this?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I’m raging about the decisions and officiating but leaving that aside more importantly on the performance front going forward concerning Mac looked very tired and sloppy in possession. Sollys has gone off the boil and Veltman defensively a bit suspect.

I think the only way is for clubs to start a campaign against Howard Webb, he is ultimately the man in charge and he hasnt got a grip on it. The buck stops with him and if he cant get in place a system that stops such blatant errors, or some form of sanctioning of terrible decisions that can cost a whole seasons worth of hard work, he simply has to go.

Sorry means nothing, its not good enough. Fire the VAR official or relegate him for a season to League 2 then maybe you'll show you mean it and put the others on notice. Its a f***ing old boys club thats wholly unaccountable for gross misconduc
The whole cabal needs to be investigated for corruption and if found guilty, custodial sentences handed out.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Every minute. As noted above, if there was a genuine conspiracy it was managed exclusively by the VAR official. The man on the pitch could have been much harsher with our players (especially wrt cards) if he was on a mission.

But....my feeling is that unless the VAR official can be shown to have made repeated unequivocal errors, a conspiracy isn't anywhere near to being on the table.

I have intimated that there were four horrible VAR errors today but, on reflection, the two 'handballs' could easily be flagged as such, if you are not signed up to 'the T shirt line' rule (which is, I think a made up TV thing). The shirt pull, mmmmm.... possibly not a pen (I thought it was a pen). Only the foot stamp was nailed on as a pen. So you could argue the VAR official made one egregious error. Is that sufficient to accuse him of corruption?

If it transpires that a conspiracy can't be proven, I would focus on the VAR rubric. Were the two pen shouts checked? If I were the VAR man and decided to have a look (the on pitch referee did not see anything or ask for assistance) would I be able to conclude the referee had not made a clear and obvious error in so few seconds?

So what are the rules? I suspect that VAR checks penalty shouts only if the ref thinks it is a penalty. Can someone confirm this? If so, then the on pitch ref didn't see the shouts and that all there is to it. If VAR can check a missed penalty I am astonished the checks were done so quickly.

And the two disallowed goals - all goals are checked by VAR so there is no suspicion about the fact that checks were done - and the decisions were quick, but were they correct?

Perhaps today's VAR ref simply tried, today, to do what everyone wants, which is to Get VAR Done quickly. And just getting it done without due care and attention can result in inconvenience and error.

It will be interesting to see what happens if this triggers a stink on 6-0-6 and MOTD. I suspect it may.
Not entirely made up by TV

1680971590815.png

The other thing - if it had hit MacAllisters thigh and gone in - would he have been given the goal, or would it have been Welbecks? Because if it had been Welbecks - then MacAllister didn't 'score' with his arm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports