Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If the rule is short sleeve you won’t see a worse VAR decision than that
The law is:

"For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit."

Not convinced it touches any part of his arm though, however I'm not sure where bottom of the armpit is defined.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
3 classic VAR big 6 ‘decisions’…

If the rule is short sleeve you won’t see a worse VAR decision than that - if one of our blokes had an fully outstretched arm and diverted the ball it would just be 100% given as stonewall - not sure on the third but looked a foul on Caicedo before Son scored - doubt it was checked and tbf only saw it once.

Either way, fantastic performance and the better team. Only issue is they have 3 world class players up front. Should be winning by 2.
I couldn't see how the Mitoma goal was ruled out . . . well the only thing I can think of is going with the onfield decision of handball. No way could I tell if it was so have stood imho. Very poor decision.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I think it's the right decision to disallow and you can see a slight movement from Mitoma to meet the ball. However, this ' short sleeve ' rule is very fuzzy and at the very least ref should have gone to the monitor. Typically had that been one of the ' big clubs ' I reckon there would have been a fair chance of it being given
There is a slight movement because he's pretty pushed in the back when through on goal. Surely in that case it's a clear denial of a goal scoring opportunity, no? Where does Var start and Stop?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think it's the right decision to disallow and you can see a slight movement from Mitoma to meet the ball. However, this ' short sleeve ' rule is very fuzzy and at the very least ref should have gone to the monitor. Typically had that been one of the ' big clubs ' I reckon there would have been a fair chance of it being given
Must admit I'm a bit fuzzy over the law on handball now as well. But - I did notice that Mitoma didn't actually celebrate the goal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
SSN outraged at the disallowed goal. The person doing the BBC website commentary on the other hand is a Spurs fan perhaps (a bit like the ref. and VAR)? The incident is noted.....
17' Hand ball by Kaoru Mitoma (Brighton and Hove Albion).......and that's it!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Even if his arm did brush the ball(which it didn’t) If you’re nudged in the back and your hand hit the ball it should be void, the only reason his hand touched the ball was because of that push.

But of course, that wasn’t looked at.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
VAR can f*** off. Great 1st half, heard if Spurs wankers in the away end with full kit on his kid. Unbelievable. They need to be forced OUT.
Considering their own fans have been GIVING their tickets away in the home end I’m not sure how likely that is.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My worry against this lot is that however much better we play they have class in their side. Must stay focussed like the first half. They can be beaten, but we need a perfect half.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Regardless of result, I can’t help thinking how boring Spurs are - it seems to be a one dimensional, sit back, soak and just hope one of our star players works their magic and scores.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Excellent first half Brighton totally dominated possession and shots on goal very unlucky with Mitoma’s hand ball was a tight call not helped with a push in the back.
Macalister and Casado could have scored but Son did score a worldly and then we cannot score from corners and up pops Dunk to prove that fact wrong helped immensely by Caldwell blocking off Dyer
second half just started let’s go on and win this

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Mitoma did handball it, but only because he was pushed into it. Without the push he doesn’t handle and still probably scores.

If not originally flagged I don’t think VAR would’ve overturned.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think Mitoma did handball it, but only because he was pushed into it. Without the push he doesn’t handle and still probably scores.

If not originally flagged I don’t think VAR would’ve overturned.
The lino flagged it from 40 yards away, that’s like one of us in the crowd making the decision based on a few inches.

It hit above his sleeve line, if anywhere, which all season has NOT been given as a handball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here