Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps I'm overstating it (and feel free to correct me), but I think something important has happened this weekend. The win at Arsenal wasn't a fluke. We've done it again.
Two away wins at Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to be a coincidence. We deserved to win both games.

I think we've come of age....

(Sorry, I've had a drink. Normal service will be resumed at Man City on Wednesday).

For me we’ve had performances equal to this like at home to Arsenal and Chelsea where we just fell short of that little bit of fortune such as what led to the goal against Spurs Saturday. Throw in a few more games we’ve utterly dominated other than a finish, Norwich, Leeds, Newcastle, Palace, and the last 2 games aren’t a revelation, they’re just what should happen when you take your chances your performance serves up.

Then of course taking a chance or two and confidence / belief shoots through the air.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Perhaps I'm overstating it (and feel free to correct me), but I think something important has happened this weekend. The win at Arsenal wasn't a fluke. We've done it again.
Two away wins at Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to be a coincidence. We deserved to win both games.

(Sorry, I've had a drink. Normal service will be resumed at Man City on Wednesday).

I love the stat that the last team prior to us to win back to back at Arsenal AND Spurs was…

…Hull City!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me we’ve had performances equal to this like at home to Arsenal and Chelsea where we just fell short of that little bit of fortune such as what led to the goal against Spurs Saturday. Throw in a few more games we’ve utterly dominated other than a finish, Norwich, Leeds, Newcastle, Palace, and the last 2 games aren’t a revelation, they’re just what should happen when you take your chances your performance serves up.

Then of course taking a chance or two and confidence / belief shoots through the air.

Nah it's all about GPott getting the bingo balls back out.
His team selection was predictable.
His team was predictable.
The scoreline was predictable.

We'd lost the WTF moment an hour before kick off.

One game of:-

'soooo Sanchez in goal... '

and all's right in the world.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nah it's all about GPott getting the bingo balls back out.
His team selection was predictable.
His team was predictable.
The scoreline was predictable.

We'd lost the WTF moment an hour before kick off.

One game of:-

'soooo Sanchez in goal... '

and all's right in the world.

You can say that but Spurs were a stud length from taking the lead in the 75th min and you’d be saying the result was predictable.

What changed Saturday was a bit of fortune, otherwise it would have been another predictable story of dominating, looking really good but not scoring / winning the game.

Win a couple and it’s all about selection, something new, something unpredictable. Broken down we gifted them a great chance as we do that they missed and they back healed an assist into our path in the last minute.

That’s not to say we weren’t great, it’s to say we’ve been great plenty of times before but the oppo swallow up that 75th min chance and we blaze wide when we do get an opening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can say that but Spurs were a stud length from taking the lead in the 75th min and you’d be saying the result was predictable.

What changed Saturday was a bit of fortune, otherwise it would have been another predictable story of dominating, looking really good but not scoring / winning the game.

Win a couple and it’s all about selection, something new, something unpredictable. Broken down we gifted them a great chance as we do that they missed and they back healed an assist into our path in the last minute.

That’s not to say we weren’t great, it’s to say we’ve been great plenty of times before but the oppo swallow up that 75th min chance and we blaze wide when we do get an opening.
No I wouldn't.

You seem to be giving The Leeds, Burnley, Villa, Norwich et al, at home, an equal billing with Spurs away.

There's a whole world of difference to Norwich beating us in the 78th minute in a game where the Albion had 31 shots and a frankly pathetic 4 on target. To going to Spurs, completely dominating the game, stopping Son and Kane while generating the industry accepted 12 shots, 5 on target, 1 goal.

Losing 1-0 wouldn't have been hard to take.
It would have been a shitty, 'big club bias', didn't deserve that, 'well can't fault the team and manager', need a striker, loss.

Drawing 0-0, in that manner, would have been an excellent result.

Winning 0-1 is why we go to games to watch football.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Or GP has dropped players that let him down constantly for players with some real quality. Trossard finally getting some decent service crosses going in before the defence is back into position, Mwepu can get a ball on target, breaking with a purpose. It’s all about the little things.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No I wouldn't.

You seem to be giving The Leeds, Burnley, Villa, Norwich et al, at home, an equal billing with Spurs away.

There's a whole world of difference to Norwich beating us in the 78th minute in a game where the Albion had 31 shots and a frankly pathetic 4 on target. To going to Spurs, completely dominating the game, stopping Son and Kane while generating the industry accepted 12 shots, 5 on target, 1 goal.

It would have been a shitty, 'big club bias', didn't deserve that, 'well can't fault the team and manager', need a striker, loss.

Yep.

Just before we scored on Saturday I was thinking "please hold on for the 0-0, it'll frustrate Spurs so much and four points from two aways is excellent". The thought that we'd score hadn't actually crossed my mind.

Whereas you could hear my howls of frustration during the Norwich game in Woodingdean.

Yes, 90th minutes winners away are rare as hen's teeth and exactly why we go. In some ways made even sweeter having spent the previous 360+ minutes at home games not needing to get out of your chair, except to cheer the award of a penalty that everyone knew would be missed. In other ways shaking your fist at Dame Fortune even more.

It looks like Potter will lead us to his best ever season but it's one that has been so, so Brighton-ish, in that wherever we finish we really should have finished higher.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep.

Just before we scored on Saturday I was thinking "please hold on for the 0-0, it'll frustrate Spurs so much and four points from two aways is excellent". The thought that we'd score hadn't actually crossed my mind.

Whereas you could hear my howls of frustration during the Norwich game in Woodingdean.

Yes, 90th minutes winners away are rare as hen's teeth and exactly why we go. In some ways made even sweeter having spent the previous 360+ minutes at home games not needing to get out of your chair, except to cheer the award of a penalty that everyone knew would be missed. In other ways shaking your fist at Dame Fortune even more.

It looks like Potter will lead us to his best ever season but it's one that has been so, so Brighton-ish, in that wherever we finish we really should have finished higher.
The wall of noise that would have hit us would have been the stuff of nightmares, for years to come.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No I wouldn't.

I don’t disagree, what I’m saying is Saturday wasn’t necessarily a magic wand of selection, tactics that we haven’t seen from the team before, all I’m saying is the difference from say Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at home for that matter is we gave the opposition a chance that they took (not Arsenal obviously) and we didn’t convert to win the game. Thought our performances at home to Arsenal and Chelsea were every bit as good as the 2 North London away games. Now draws against those are okay if you’re beating Burnley, Norwich, Leeds, Newcastle, Villa at home, but of course equally not the slightest bit of luck in the Newcastle, Leeds, Norwich games in particular to have just got them over the line. Such is football.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

They were also a bum refereeing decision from going down to 10 men!

Winning is about a host of things, selection, tactics, players being on form, and, of course as you mention, good fortune. You can't deny that our record of late important goals in the capital has served us well this season!

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021

Winning is about a host of things, selection, tactics, players being on form, and, of course as you mention, good fortune. You can't deny that our record of late important goals in the capital has served us well this season!
As gp keeps on saying the margins in the pl for a lot of sides are very very small between victories & draws & defeats

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We haven't lost a game played within the M25 this season.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Loving some of the comments on the Spurs forum about time wasting. Bearing in mind they have a player, ie KANE, who spends nearly the whole of every match diving all over the shop.

Pot, kettle, black. If he spent less time diving and on the golf course he could be quite good.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Loving some of the comments on the Spurs forum about time wasting. Bearing in mind they have a player, ie KANE, who spends nearly the whole of every match diving all over the shop.

Pot, kettle, black. If he spent less time diving and on the golf course he could be quite good.

Seen similar from Spurs fans online: apparently we time wasted and dived a lot which is why we won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Exactly... diving, pulling shirts, feigning being fouled, in the ref's face with his I'm England Captain persona... Kane's a great player, shouldn't need to do that sh*t, but he does, and so loses all respect from me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As gp keeps on saying the margins in the pl for a lot of sides are very very small between victories & draws & defeats

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The man is wise and philosophical and seldom moans about anything. I am hoping he has a right moan at TB about our forward options when he sit down for the end of season debate though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here