Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They voted Truss in as leader. Given the choice, I suspect they’d do the same during the next Tory leadership contest (in about a year) if offered the same ‘tax cut’ promise. They are too old to change or admit they were wrong about the Lettuce.

The Conservatives won’t change until their membership does. I imagine it needs a decade or so for the vast majority of them to die off.
Genuine question from a first time caller:

What does a young conservative look like these days?

Like this:

1708288627306.png

Or like this:

1708288670876.png

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
They voted Truss in as leader. Given the choice, I suspect they’d do the same during the next Tory leadership contest (in about a year) if offered the same ‘tax cut’ promise. They are too old to change or admit they were wrong about the Lettuce.

The Conservatives won’t change until their membership does. I imagine it needs a decade or so for the vast majority of them to die off.
The current term of Conservative government has been quite revealing and why I'll never vote them as long as I live. I always thought the far right element of Conservatives were only a handful of loons while most of them stood for well meaning Conservative values, yet far too many of them happily jumped on the populist bandwagon and they quickly shape-shifted into UKIP driven purely by ideology and ministers had to become propagandists

They will have to drain the swamp of all the headbangers while in opposition and go back to basics

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The current term of Conservative government has been quite revealing and why I'll never vote them as long as I live. I always thought the far right element of Conservatives were only a handful of loons while most of them stood for well meaning Conservative values, yet far too many of them happily jumped on the populist bandwagon and they quickly shape-shifted into UKIP driven purely by ideology and ministers had to become propagandists

They will have to drain the swamp of all the headbangers while in opposition and go back to basics
Brexit changed everything didn't it?

They were always a party I disagreed with ideologically, but I respected them as a group of people who had a different idea than I did for improving our country.

Then 2016 happened. Then the purges, now we're seeing what a party and country looks like when the UKIP populist right is at the wheel

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

They were always a party I disagreed with ideologically, but I respected them as a group of people who had a different idea than I did for improving our country.

Then 2016 happened. Then the purges, now we're seeing what a party and country looks like when the UKIP populist right is at the wheel

It's currently the most extreme group I have seen in mainstream British politics in my lifetime :down:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Time will tell. As to which party I’ll be voting for when Labour inevitably go stale, it will be whichever party seems:

a) least “bought and sold”
b) capable of governing responsibly
c) “long-termist” in terms of their thinking.
d) has at least an outside chance of being elected.

However, the current Conservative master plan of:

1. Cut taxes
2. ?
3. Success!

Isn’t one that I will ever subscribe to or vote for. We’ve all seen where it leads, it leads to nothing good.
Fair enough, but unless our electoral system undergoes radical reform, and given that you will never vote Conservative, and are fed up with a ‘stale’ Labour, but want at least an outside chance of being elected, your choices will be sorely limited.😰

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Fair enough, but unless our electoral system undergoes radical reform, and given that you will never vote Conservative, and are fed up with a ‘stale’ Labour, but want at least an outside chance of being elected, your choices will be sorely limited.😰

Absolutely, all I can do is cast my vote for the sanest alternative, which is probably giving me a choice of the Lib Dems or just giving the whole thing up as a bad job. This is where I personally feel FPTP falls down, but the two parties who ever get elected are the parties for whom it works, and so are heavily incentivised not to reform it.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Yes, I've always been anti-Tory, because I see them as always on the side of the rich against ordinary people, on the side of bosses against workers, tax-dodgers against welfare claimants, and on the side of landlords against tenants.

Their repeated claims to be on the side of "ordinary decent hard-working people" are nauseating hypocritical BS - they weren't on the side of the stitched-up Post Office workers until about two months ago, were they?

But much as I absolutely despised the Thatcher governments and their cruel policies, I could grudgingly acknowledge that many of their Ministers had 'gravitas' and were serious politicians - Nigel Lawson, Douglas Hurd, Geoffrey Howe, Ken Clarke, Michael Heseltine, Ian Gilmour, Willie Whitelaw, Peter Walker, etc.

Compare them to today's Right-wing rabble: Boris Johnson, Priti Patel, Suella Braverman, Chris Grayling, Michael Gove, Jacob Rees-Smugg, Lee Anderson, Therese Coffey, Nadine Dorries, etc.

To paraphrase Logan Roy (from Succession) "These are not serious people."

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes. They were serious politicians. But the point is I had no doubt that Tebbit, Heseltine etc were genuinely waking up in the morning and trying to make the country better.

This lot. They are getting up in the morning, trying to save their own political backsides or enrich themselves. That much is obvious.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah, that lesser seen John Major / Donald Trump double act

Interestingly only three years between them in age…

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not sure if they will have to drain the swamp, or whether the swamp will be drained for them.

On current polling half the cabinet will be wiped out.

I'm a believer that the future direction of the tory party very much depends on who is going to be left.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm not sure if they will have to drain the swamp, or whether the swamp will be drained for them.

On current polling half the cabinet will be wiped out.

I'm a believer that the future direction of the tory party very much depends on who is going to be left.
Indeed. I wonder if they might tempt Farage into trying to come on board...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Indeed. I wonder if they might tempt Farage into trying to come on board...
It's only that he's not in the commons which has stopped him from stepping in and taking the party.

I bet there are some Tories who are (or have been) considering, ditching Sunak, getting a stooge caretaker, putting Farage in the Lords, electing him leader of the party, going to the country.

With Reform out of the picture, that would save them a lot of seats and a lot of tory MP's their jobs. But it would take a lot of organising and that's not their strong point thankfully

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is Farage still that popular though? I mean sure, with a small headbanger fringe he is, but in general? It feels like he's nowhere near his 2014-2017 peak, and hitching himself so closely to Trump won't have helped him.

I wonder how much of his notoriety now is people saying "he's really popular" rather than him actually being popular.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is Farage still that popular though? I mean sure, with a small headbanger fringe he is, but in general? It feels like he's nowhere near his 2014-2017 peak, and hitching himself so closely to Trump won't have helped him.

I wonder how much of his notoriety now is people saying "he's really popular" rather than him actually being popular.
Farage doesn't believe in Trump, just hoping that there's something in it for him in the campaign and something else should he win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here