Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
The unelected Prime Minister has urged the unelected HOL to speedily pass his unpopular, some say unworkable, Rwanda Bill, as it is “ the will of the people “

The Bill,a cornerstone of Tory policy, is so popular with ‘the people’ that the Tory’s latest poll rating is a humongous 20%.

Are they so thick they believe their crap, or do they believe we’re so thick that we believe their crap?
It’s not about him being elected or not elected he’s not a president it’s about the manifesto the Tory’s where elected on

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It’s not about him being elected or not elected he’s not a president it’s about the manifesto the Tory’s where elected on
The Tories’ 2019 manifesto pledged to “continue to grant asylum and support to refugees fleeing persecution, with the ultimate aim of helping them to return home if it is safe to do so” but made no mention of the plans to fly migrants to central Africa.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Its fair to say the Tories were not elected on a mandate to ship people off to Rwanda and to close down safe routes for asylum seekers

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Rishi Sunak’s pledge to begin flying asylum seekers to Rwanda by spring looked more distant than ever after members of the House of Lords approved a timetable that would not see the bill passed before late March.

On Thursday the prime minister urged peers to pass his asylum bill as soon as possible after its approval by the Commons on Wednesday night, telling them that it reflected the “will of the people”.

By Thursday evening, however, his comments appeared to have backfired, with members of the Lords calling them “bizarre”, “vacuous” and “weird” and then approving a two-month timetable to scrutinise the bill.

Angela Smith, Labour’s leader in the Lords, told the Guardian: “Sunak’s press conference was bizarre. I don’t think he has a clue how the Lords works. We will stick to our normal processes for approving this bill.”

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Another Carol Vorderman tweet.

I really can’t get my head around this amount of money.

Attachments

• IMG_6489.png
    IMG_6489.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6488.png
    IMG_6488.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 71

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I see the Conservative Party’s efforts to impoverish their lower income citizens to the benefit of the wealthy continues to bear its inevitable fruit.

Retail sales fall at sharpest rate since Covid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68027820

You can’t starve a country into prosperity, can we just get these idiots out now please?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

£380m a day, you can trust the Tories with the economy.

Despite they will try one last trick, unaffordable tax cuts before the election. Scorched earth is all they have left

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

Austerity worked then?! All of those ‘difficult decisions’ that had to be taken? It was always a political decision to enable the shrinking of the state and not an economic one.

I hope the people that voted for it are happy as they drive on roads that would shame a third world country on their way to a doctors appointment that doesn’t exist or hospital for a 10 hour long wait in A and E.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

The explanation is that Sunak, as Chancellor, borrowed billions during covid for his various schemes (which included paying out billions in fraudulent claims and as a result of rules for claimants that just hadn't been thought through).

Had Sunak any clue, he would have taken the prudent step of "hedging"and insuring against an interest rate rise in the future. He didn't. So when interest rates went up, he had done nothing to mitigate it, and repayments shot up.

We keep being told that the lack of public funds is as a result of debt repayments going through the roof. And whose fault is that?

The FT, Spectator & Guardian have all estimated that Sunak's economic incompetence has cost the country around £11bn

The fact that a man so ignorant of "the basics" of economic strategy could rise to be Chancellor and PM is bloody scary.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The explanation is that Sunak, as Chancellor, borrowed billions during covid for his various schemes (which included paying out billions in fraudulent claims and as a result of rules for claimants that just hadn't been thought through).

Had Sunak any clue, he would have taken the prudent step of "hedging"and insuring against an interest rate rise in the future. He didn't. So when interest rates went up, he had done nothing to mitigate it, and repayments shot up.

We keep being told that the lack of public funds is as a result of debt repayments going through the roof. And whose fault is that?

The FT, Spectator & Guardian have all estimated that Sunak's economic incompetence has cost the country around £11bn

The fact that a man so ignorant of "the basics" of economic strategy could rise to be Chancellor and PM is bloody scary.
But he supported Brexit......that is his single qualification

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You know it's bad when a Johnson 'dead cat' distraction becomes Sunak's single policy :dunce:

To understand Britain’s Rwanda policy you have to understand Boris Johnson and dead cats​

April 2022, the dying days of Boris Johnson’s time in Downing Street, with concerns about the government’s inability to – as they would later put it – “Stop The Boats”, preventing crossings of the Channel by refugees and asylum seekers in small boats from France.

As a result of Johnson’s Brexit failures, cooperation with the French authorities became difficult and returning asylum seekers almost impossible. Johnson came up with his “dead cat” – namely to send people he claimed were “illegal” immigrants to Rwanda. He could have picked almost anywhere. Madagascar? Antarctica? Paraguay? But he picked Rwanda as his distraction from a problem which he could not solve.

It was never a policy. It was a distraction, and it has distracted the Conservative party ever since.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...1&cvid=130b1a6231a54ac399009bbd968900b6&ei=20

Nearly 2 years on, and after hours of wasted Parliamentary and Civil Service time (which we are paying for) and hundreds of Millions of pounds (which we are paying), absolutely nothing has happened. At my age, I really don't like hard manual work, but even I'm considering digging some f***ing ditches :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another example of how the government is wasting our money, £2B on what they call a "carbon negative" project essentially cutting down pristine Canadian forests, shipping it across the Atlantic and burning it. Then some BS plan for carbon capture, expensive and stupid.

And Sunak keeps telling us that we can’t afford the green transition? Wonder if there's a Tory in the woodpile somewhere?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tata Steel has announced that, as feared, it plans to close its two blast furnaces in at Port Talbot by the end of this year.

The move means that up to 2,800 workers potentially losing their jobs at its steelworks plant in Wales, with around 2,500 roles impacted in the next 18 months.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Another example of how the government is wasting our money, £2B on what they call a "carbon negative" project essentially cutting down pristine Canadian forests, shipping it across the Atlantic and burning it. Then some BS plan for carbon capture, expensive and stupid.

And Sunak keeps telling us that we can’t afford the green transition? Wonder if there's a Tory in the woodpile somewhere?

Another story Private Eye have been covering for some years now.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I doubt it.

Any crossover of name is purely coincidental...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Drax started converting to biomass in the 00's, the problem of shipping in pellets from Canada highlighted all along. its decades old policy key to UK net zero while keeping the lights on and repurposing the existing infrastructure. whats new here is a planning approval for adding carbon capture to the process, an obvious benefit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here