Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
1704649344763.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Peter Bone's replacement Tory candidate for the upcoming by-election ?

.. his girlfriend. :LOL:

Does nobody in the Tory Party ever stop for a second and say to themselves "I wonder what that might look like to the average voter?". Thought the same listening to Sunak this morning.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Does nobody in the Tory Party ever stop for a second and say to themselves "I wonder what that might look like to the average voter?". Thought the same listening to Sunak this morning.
Boner has denied the report in Sunday Times that revealed he has threatened to stand as independent if his lover partner wasn't selected.

His wife (I presume they are still married) was at one point the highest paid close relative paid by Parliament.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No, more of a Rag and Bone man, next silly question 🙋
When the grown ups were in charge, people like Peter Bone were confined to the back benches in parliament dribbling on about sovereignty, foreigners and harping on about going back to how things used to be in the good old days. Do you regret aligning yourself vote wise with people like him, or was he on the right side of history with it all?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
When the grown ups were in charge, people like Peter Bone were confined to the back benches in parliament dribbling on about sovereignty, foreigners and harping on about going back to how things used to be in the good old days. Do you regret aligning yourself vote wise with people like him, or was he on the right side of history with it all?

Do I regret my voting choices in the past, absolutely not, do I think this Bone chap is an idiot yes I do 👍

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
According to the Guardian live politics blog:

Sunak is doing his first major pre-campaign event today, and will apparently during that event say something to the effect of: "The choice is whether we stick with the plan that is starting to deliver the long-term change our country needs, or go back to square one with the Labour party."

I think the problem Sunak has with taking that particular campaign message is that an awful lot of voters probably think that "going back to square one" is exactly what the country needs. A full reset after the chaotic mess the Tories have created, from which Labour can set us on the pathway to a viable future-facing economy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Sunak is doing his first major pre-campaign event today, and will apparently during that event say something to the effect of: "The choice is whether we stick with the plan that is starting to deliver the long-term change our country needs, or go back to square one with the Labour party."

I think the problem Sunak has with taking that particular campaign message is that an awful lot of voters probably think that "going back to square one" is exactly what the country needs. A full reset after the chaotic mess the Tories have created, from which Labour can set us on the pathway to a viable future-facing economy.
The Tories have been delivering long term change since 2015, the problem is its also long term decline.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The Tories have been delivering long term change since 2015, the problem is its also long term decline.
Which a Tory MP has come out and said over the weekend. Sunak's in a spot of bother this week if there's any journos who feel like making him squirm.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Not just me thinking this:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Contrary to popular belief the phrase 'Going back to Square One' doesn't orignate in radio broadcasts of football matches. The grid system used rectangles, not squares and 'square' one wasn't the goalkeeper, but just the left side of the defensive area of one of the teams. It doesn't make sense as an automatic starting point and, if it had been used by commentators (which there is no recorded evidence that it ever was), they would have also had to introduce the phrases 'back to Square Two, Square Seven or Square Eight' depending on which team had the ball and on which side of the pitch.

The first recorded written use comes some years later and is in an article that uses a snakes and ladders metaphor to exemplify progress being lost.

That puts the kibosh on my plan to suggest that RDZ's tactics show that significant progress can be made by going back, so instead I'll just link to 'Here it is Take it' by that greatest of lost eighties bands That Petrol Emotion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here