Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
OMG that is depressing.
I can answer his question about who helped us during our floods; it was the EU assistance fund. Which we are no longer eligible for.

That video is one reason I don’t think people should be too confident that the Tory’s will lose an election.

Just think, those ghastly specimens were given a vote in the EU referendum. Brexit is what happens when you let thick people decide such matters.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

Possibly an own goal by the Libs? Plenty of people across the UK will agree with his at least one of his statements or at least not be offended by them. Take the death penalty one, I'm against capital punishment but many are not and what he says is obviously correct. One problem I think we have in politics generally is that politicians of all colours are terrified to have convictions because there will always be some group, opposing politician, media outlet etc who will be up in arms and be deliberately psuedo offended. We shouldn't expect to like or agree with everything or even anything a politician thinks or says but we need them all to have and voice their convictions so we get debate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Possibly an own goal by the Libs? Plenty of people across the UK will agree with his at least one of his statements or at least not be offended by them. Take the death penalty one, I'm against capital punishment but many are not and what he says is obviously correct. One problem I think we have in politics generally is that politicians of all colours are terrified to have convictions because there will always be some group, opposing politician, media outlet etc who will be up in arms and be deliberately psuedo offended. We shouldn't expect to like or agree with everything or even anything a politician thinks or says but we need them all to have and voice their convictions so we get debate.
While I broadly agree with you here, do we really need a debate about whether nurses forced to use food banks are shit at cooking and budgeting?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The question is (1) are there enough to swing a seat and (2) are the people who believe that not voting Tory anyway? The “hang ‘em and flog ‘em” types don’t seem the sort who might consider voting Red or yellow (or green).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The question is (1) are there enough to swing a seat and (2) are the people who believe that not voting Tory anyway? The “hang ‘em and flog ‘em” types don’t seem the sort who might consider voting Red or yellow (or green).
I'm hoping that anyone stupid enough to agree with his statements is too dumb to get themselves to a polling station.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I'm hoping that anyone stupid enough to agree with his statements is too dumb to get themselves to a polling station.
I’m hoping that there are enough people who arent as arrogant, dumb and blind to alternative opinions as you, so that we can have wide ranging debate rather than the polarisation that is paralysing our politics.

Edit: sorry that was a bit personal. I just don’t think it’s right to call people who might disagree with your views ‘dumb or stupid’

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
While I broadly agree with you here, do we really need a debate about whether nurses forced to use food banks are shit at cooking and budgeting?
No, we need a debate about nurses pay and conditions.
It was idiotic of some union publicity person to say that nurses are driven to food banks. With an average wage of £35000 this was an own goal and one the daily mail made hay with.
The cooking thing is actually a very important point generally. If you cook fresh veg etc one can live more cheaply and crucially more healthily. This is a skill that used to be taught at school as well as in the home but for many has been lost through no fault of their own.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m hoping that there are enough people who arent as arrogant, dumb and blind to alternative opinions as you, so that we can have wide ranging debate rather than the polarisation that is paralysing our politics.

Edit: sorry that was a bit personal. I just don’t think it’s right to call people who might disagree with your views ‘dumb or stupid’
It's one thing to disagree with someone's views. It's quite another to back ridiculous statements like the bile Lee Anderson spouts. I am sorry but I reserve my right to call a thicko a thicko. No amount of sympathising or excusing his vile rhetoric as "an alternative opinion" will change the fact that it is ignorant hate-speak.

I don't view his deliberate baiting of certain sectors of society as any more a valid "opinion" than I do racism or antisemitism.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

I can respect someone with different political views to mine if they can provide some intelligent or considered reason or logic - but so many Right-wingers just base their views on emotions, prejudice, or simple hatred of minorities. Or they just unthinkingly accept what they are told by the Daily Mail, Daily Express and The Sun.

There was a voter in Hartlepool a couple of years ago who said they were switching from Labour to the Conservatives because "Labour want to get rid of food-banks." I reserve the right to call that voter a stupid, pig-ignorant, ****.

I have spent 6 years on social media arguing with Brexitters (the "school of hard knocks, university of life, wear-your-poppy-with-pride, bin the Liebour party" brigade - many of whom also seem to look like Phil Mitchell out of Eastenders!) - and I can assure you that the vast majority of them are as thick as mince; they are totally incapable of putting forward a coherent or half-intelligent reason for supporting Brexit. After you have pointed-out the inaccuracies of their arguments or claims, or provided counter-evidence, their final response is usually "Well f***-off and live in Brussels." Just as Tories used to respond to political opponents by aggressively suggesting that they "Emigrate to Moscow."

It seems that "tolerating opposing views" only applies when Right-wingers say something which might be viewed as controversial or offensive - must avoid 'cancel culture' - but witch-hunts and a torrent of abuse online or in the tabloids are OK if a prominent Liberal or Leftie advocates something which offends a Tory or the Daily Mail. I constantly see/hear supposedly freedom-of-speech loving Tories demanding that Gary Lineker be sacked for expressing his support for the EU, or that Chris Packham be sacked for publicly opposing fox-hunting.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Senior Tory businessman has quit the party and joined Labour.
Sorry, it’s behind a pay wall.

The appointment of Lee Anderson signalled the Tory strategy very clearly. This sort of campaigning worked with Brexit and is their best (only) chance of getting re-elected.

The UK is in a massive mess. The Tories will blame Putin (despite last night’s C4 documentary about the ‘Conservative friends of Russia’ group helping bring in more than £5m in funding for the party), migrants, trans people, black life matter campaigners, Europeans, academics and experts, left wing economists, unions and people on strike and republicans. If they can make enough stupid people so angry that they vote Tory, they’ll get back in. I don’t think they have a chance.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What did we learn from Dispatches then? Anyone who doesn't get their news from MSM would have known most of the revelations anyway but interesting hearing from a few 'working class tory' friends today who's heard this all for the first time.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The appointment of Lee Anderson signalled the Tory strategy very clearly. This sort of campaigning worked with Brexit and is their best (only) chance of getting re-elected.

The UK is in a massive mess. The Tories will blame Putin (despite last night’s C4 documentary about the ‘Conservative friends of Russia’ group helping bring in more than £5m in funding for the party), migrants, trans people, black life matter campaigners, Europeans, academics and experts, left wing economists, unions and people on strike and republicans. If they can make enough stupid people so angry that they vote Tory, they’ll get back in. I don’t think they have a chance.
The excuses are running out. They can use every wedge issue in the book, but after 13 years...

a) Have most peoples lives got better?
b) Are public services better?
c) Is the country being run efficiently ?
d) Are those in power really acting in the interests of the nation?

Thank god the last 13 years have been all up up up for BHA, or I don't know what I'd do.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here