Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
HMRC boss tells MPs ‘innocent errors’ are not penalised amid Zahawi tax row

The head of HM Revenue and Customs has told MPs there are “no penalties for innocent errors” in regards to tax affairs, raising further questions over the circumstances that led to the Conservative party chair, Nadhim Zahawi, being fined by the tax office.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...pc=U591&cvid=84a5de1b8ec4457bb81e46d7ac19eacb

Maybe in these tough financial times where the Government has no money, Sunak could shut down some of these expensive enquiries and simply ask the people he employs to collect taxes instead :facepalm:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
HMRC boss tells MPs ‘innocent errors’ are not penalised amid Zahawi tax row

The head of HM Revenue and Customs has told MPs there are “no penalties for innocent errors” in regards to tax affairs, raising further questions over the circumstances that led to the Conservative party chair, Nadhim Zahawi, being fined by the tax office.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...pc=U591&cvid=84a5de1b8ec4457bb81e46d7ac19eacb

Maybe in these tough financial times where the Government has no money, Sunak could shut down some of these expensive enquiries and simply ask the people he employs to collect taxes instead :facepalm:
This is basically true. If, for example, you omit part-time PAYE earnings from a tax return, HMRC will just amend the Self Assessment and no penalty is charged. What would be interesting here is to know whether the disclosure was unprompted ie Zahawi realised his error and notified HMRC of the omission or "prompted" where HMRC contacts the taxpayer and says "we have reason to believe your tax return is incorrect". Any disclosure made after HMRC has contacted the taxpayer would normally get a higher penalty than 30% (unless there was a "reasonable excuse" for the error).

Of course, as HMRC refused to prosecute him (when they have prosecuted others leading to jail sentences for "fiddling" significantly less) we aren't ever going to get all the facts and details of the case.

Zahawi insisting that he "acted properly throughout" is of course a complete nonsense as is the claim that it wasn't "deliberate". You don't "forget" taxable income or capital gains that would have run into millions. Unless of course he is a total incompetent lacking the mental capacity to look after his financial affairs. In which case, WTF is he doing in the Cabinet?

It is impossible for Zahawi to come out of this looking good. An incompetent or corrupt? You be the judge.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am a Tory voter, but I truly believe that there should be a General Election asap as the present shower are unfit for office and require 10 years in opposition to regather and sort themselves out. I will not be voting for them at the next GE.
I am appalled by the likes of Zahawi and am staggered that he still holds office.
I am sure that there are many, like me, who hold moderate views, that are equally appalled.
Unlike some of the views expressed on here, not all those who don’t conform to the general NSC view of the world of politics are unspeakable morons.
P.S. I didn’t vote for Brexit, just in case anyone is in any doubt
I salute you or your honesty and fair assessment

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is basically true. If, for example, you omit part-time PAYE earnings from a tax return, HMRC will just amend the Self Assessment and no penalty is charged. What would be interesting here is to know whether the disclosure was unprompted ie Zahawi realised his error and notified HMRC of the omission or "prompted" where HMRC contacts the taxpayer and says "we have reason to believe your tax return is incorrect". Any disclosure made after HMRC has contacted the taxpayer would normally get a higher penalty than 30% (unless there was a "reasonable excuse" for the error).

Of course, as HMRC refused to prosecute him (when they have prosecuted others leading to jail sentences for "fiddling" significantly less) we aren't ever going to get all the facts and details of the case.

Zahawi insisting that he "acted properly throughout" is of course a complete nonsense as is the claim that it wasn't "deliberate". You don't "forget" taxable income or capital gains that would have run into millions. Unless of course he is a total incompetent lacking the mental capacity to look after his financial affairs. In which case, WTF is he doing in the Cabinet?

It is impossible for Zahawi to come out of this looking good. An incompetent or corrupt? You be the judge.
Ooh! I know this is one; corrupt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am a Tory voter, but I truly believe that there should be a General Election asap as the present shower are unfit for office and require 10 years in opposition to regather and sort themselves out. I will not be voting for them at the next GE.
I am appalled by the likes of Zahawi and am staggered that he still holds office.
I am sure that there are many, like me, who hold moderate views, that are equally appalled.
Unlike some of the views expressed on here, not all those who don’t conform to the general NSC view of the world of politics are unspeakable morons.
P.S. I didn’t vote for Brexit, just in case anyone is in any doubt.
Rod Stewart agrees with you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rod Stewart fixes his own pot holes. I’ve always admired someone who gets on with stuff. I imagine it’s on a private road but still, he’s out there with the tools.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, not entirely altruistic 😆 ….

“A council has invited Sir Rod Stewart to spend a day with its pothole-patching crew after it fixed the potholes in the singer's road. Sir Rod filmed himself fixing the holes in the road near his home in Harlow back in March - complaining it was too damaged to drive his Ferrari on”.
19 Aug 2022

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Jake Berry on QT as the Tory talking head just said he thinks Zahawi and Raab should stand down while investigations are ongoing.

(Johnson got him his knighthood)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good to see Gillian Keegan voting for me shit in Chichester harbour
I take it all of the Sussex MP's voted for shifting on their own doorstep?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jake Berry on QT as the Tory talking head just said he thinks Zahawi and Raab should stand down while investigations are ongoing.

(Johnson got him his knighthood)
You wait till after the next election, Operation Reinstate The Big Dog, will go into overdrive.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

“Nadhim Zahawi, the beleaguered former chancellor and current chair of the Conservative party, is under pressure to reveal the source of about £30m of unsecured loans made to his wife’s UK property company.

The loans were used to finance parts of a large UK property portfolio, reported last year as worth about £100m, and were declared in company accounts which span a period from 2017 to 2021 but give no information about who the lenders are”.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Absolutely bloody pathetic. Who on earth do they think they are fooling?

255BB43E-6A56-47B8-9828-B43D92998471.jpeg
4A714EDF-8487-4FD1-BBE8-D2C11A5073EE.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

“The Department of Health has wasted a total of £15bn on unused personal protective equipment, Covid tests and vaccines, prompting heavy criticism from the Whitehall spending watchdog.

The department spent £8.9bn during 2020/21 and another £6bn last year on such supplies, including masks and gowns for NHS staff that have proved unuseable and are now being burned”.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

“Nadhim Zahawi, the beleaguered former chancellor and current chair of the Conservative party, is under pressure to reveal the source of about £30m of unsecured loans made to his wife’s UK property company.

The loans were used to finance parts of a large UK property portfolio, reported last year as worth about £100m, and were declared in company accounts which span a period from 2017 to 2021 but give no information about who the lenders are”.
The lenders?

Worst case scenario - Russian Oligarchs.

Most likely scenario - Russian Oligarchs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here