Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I regularly encounter older voters who say "I remember when Labour was in government back in the 1970s and the state the country was in ... I could never vote for them."
I have one in my family, reads the Express.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Being fixed on one party is so stupid. The Tories aren't the same party they were 5 years ago and nor are Labour. Just stiupidly tribal and usually ends in self harm
Yet I regularly encounter older voters who say "I remember when Labour was in government back in the 1970s and the state the country was in ... I could never vote for them because of that."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yet I regularly encounter older voters who say "I remember when Labour was in government back in the 1970s and the state the country was in ... I could never vote for them because of that."
Its different now though, as the chaos will span across 2 decades. not 1...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I remember the 1970s. Don't remember:-

1) The near impossibility of getting a GP appointment
2) Nurses (or anybody else) having to use foodbanks
3) Waiting years for a NHS hospital appointment

Mind you, it was a long time ago now so my memory might be a bit hazy.

And for HWT: Can you imagine how bad things would have been in the 1970s if Jeremy Corbyn had been leader of the Labour Party? :lolol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I remember the 1970s. Don't remember:-

1) The near impossibility of getting a GP appointment
2) Nurses (or anybody else) having to use foodbanks
3) Waiting years for a NHS hospital appointment
My mum was very ill in the 1970s and I regularly had to call the doctor to come to her out of hours. I never got bounced around or told to call a generic helpline or take her to A&E; if I rang I got a doctor.
If she was able to get to the surgery she could get an appointment whenever she needed one (and, unfortunatly she needed a lot)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Frankly, until Brexit I didn't pay much attention to politics in this country. Has it always been like this? So many dishonest characters in top government roles..
There’s always been a few bad apples in each main party, but this is the first generation I can think of where the bad characters are running the party and actively sidelining any person or institution who might hold them to account. This makes Berlusconi look like an amateur.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Frankly, until Brexit I didn't pay much attention to politics in this country. Has it always been like this? So many dishonest characters in top government roles..
Politics has always had its corrupt figures in all parties. The difference now is that the Tory’s have got rid of all the good apples and have tried and largely succeeded in getting rid of ways to hold the bad ones accountable. And they are all bad.

Before, if someone was caught on the fiddle or in a scandal, the party would publicly condemn them and they would step down.

Now they help them cover it up and welcome them further into the fold.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Obviously I do remember the 70's and there were bad things happening. Lots of strikes with rubbish not being collected and dead bodies piling up awaiting cremation or burial. I was in the NHS in those days and we had great difficulty getting clean linen, drugs and medical equipment due to miners blocking ports and supply lines. Plus we has awful inflation with mortgage rates in double figures.

However none of that compares to today's situation. After 12 years of this incompetent government they have made this nation into a laughing stock with their lies and corruption . They need to be kicked out hopefully for a long time.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
There’s always been a few bad apples in each main party, but this is the first generation I can think of where the bad characters are running the party and actively sidelining any person or institution who might hold them to account. This makes Berlusconi look like an amateur.
And the tribal Tories will continue voting for them by pathetically claiming that "All parties and politicians are corrupt and dishonest, so neither Liebour nor the Lib Dumbs would be any different or better, so we may as well continue voting Tory."

That's the gutter-level of intellectual and moral bankruptcy that the Tories and their zombie-followers have dragged us into.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A government like this should not be voted out. They should be kicked out.

Our voting system doesn’t work anyway so democracy went out the window a long time ago.

And as for those voting for them? They need to be ignored. Just as those who voted leave should have been ignored.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Obviously I do remember the 70's and there were bad things happening. Lots of strikes with rubbish not being collected and dead bodies piling up awaiting cremation or burial. I was in the NHS in those days and we had great difficulty getting clean linen, drugs and medical equipment due to miners blocking ports and supply lines. Plus we has awful inflation with mortgage rates in double figures.

However none of that compares to today's situation. After 12 years of this incompetent government they have made this nation into a laughing stock with their lies and corruption . They need to be kicked out hopefully for a long time.
I'm an academic who has done some research into the 1978-79 winter-of-discontent, and without denying the inconvenience and grief that many people suffered, a lot of the hardships were predictably exaggerated, for political reasons, by the Tories and the press.

For example, a notorious tabloid headline "Now they won't even let us bury our dead", about cancelled funerals because of cruel grave-diggers being on strike, was apparently in response to a cancelled funeral in Liverpool." Of course, this was then sensationally reported as if thousands of funerals were being cancelled throughout the country, every day.

This is what always happens during strikes - the Tories and the press look for one isolated or one-off example or tragedy, and then portray it as universal, in order to smear and discredit trade unions and strikers, and indirectly, the Labour Party.

Of course, if funerals are cancelled due to staff shortages caused by government cuts to local authority funding, then there are no crocodile tears or pretend outrage by the Tories or their tabloids on behalf of the grieving bereaved.

Last edited:

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
They call it pork barrelling, very common in the USA.

i notice Canterbury is getting a huge wedge, hardly a poor area. But a very marginal seat...
Very common in the UK too ...

... funny how some people only ever seem outraged when the other side do it :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

... funny how some people only ever seem outraged when the other side do it :wink:
Pssst,
Before you make a fool of yourself (again) just a quick note to let you know that Brown hasn’t been in power since 2010. Just a heads up.
As you were.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

LOL! An example from over 15 years ago to divert attention from the same problem, and on a much larger scale, being perpetrated currently and recently.

Typical Tory Whatabouttery?

Be careful you don't get splinters in your fingers scraping the bottom of the barrel :tosser:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

The interest rates averaged 7.5% in the 70s peaking at 12.5% in 1979 ( we all know who was in power then) then after 10 years of Tory government they went silly 91 ish ?

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
LOL! An example from over 15 years ago to divert attention from the same problem, and on a much larger scale, being perpetrated currently and recently.

Typical Tory Whatabouttery?

Be careful you don't get splinters in your fingers scraping the bottom of the barrel :tosser:
LOL! Well it would be a long time ago sparky as we haven't had a Labour government for quite some time! The example was provided to prove the point I was making, all sides do it but the outrage amongst some people seems rather selective ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here