Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m not so sure, I’m a fan of the already announced energy strategy, which suggests that he’s stopped and thought about things. He, in direct contrast to the current Conservative Party, seems capable of leadership, rather than the “let the market bleed our citizens white” approach being taken by the incumbents.

Rishi appears the closest thing to a rational adult available to the Conservatives, it’s pretty much loons the whole way down below him.

While the mentally deficient and Conservative Party members may call for Boris’s return, no serious person could contemplate having such a proven liability in office, but let’s see where the election takes us.

I suspect that there will be more announcements dropped out of Labour as it becomes politically expedient to do so.
I agree on the part about Rishi being the Tories best option, and he seems relatively normal. It will make for a much smoother transition to Starmer than chaos like Truss or Johnson. Even under May and Cameron, much as I dislike their policies and the direction we were heading, we safe pairs of hands. Especially relative to what will follow.

It’s a weird position to be in, just marking time before an inevitable defeat. Eerily similar to Tories waiting for Blair to take over in 1997.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Getting Brexit done is an annual event.
Yet more Tory psycho-drama bullshit as people who voted for something now attack it to further their careers.

Meanwhile we’re running out of fresh fruit and veg…

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yet more Tory psycho-drama bullshit as people who voted for something now attack it to further their careers.

Meanwhile we’re running out of fresh fruit and veg…
No evidence the fruit and veg issues are related to Brexit though. Many other European countries (https://www.fruitnet.com/eurofruit/...or-winter-fruit-and-vegetables/248349.article) are struggling due to crop failures in Spain and Morocco.

These trade routes are essentially unchanged since Brexit, the deal has changed but not the source. Can’t source what doesn’t exist.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Rishi appears the closest thing to a rational adult available to the Conservatives, it’s pretty much loons the whole way down below him.
He has made a choice to have loons in the cabinet too, albeit probably tied to deals to get him the top job. I suspect the likes of Braverman and Raab will be his undoing though.

In terms of ‘rational adult’, whilst he was smart enough to see that Brexit would make the rich richer and the poor poorer which plays to his deeply held political beliefs, this constant stoking of the culture is really pathetic. The Tories want to divide and conquer the Country.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No evidence the fruit and veg issues are related to Brexit though. Many other European countries (https://www.fruitnet.com/eurofruit/...or-winter-fruit-and-vegetables/248349.article) are struggling due to crop failures in Spain and Morocco.

These trade routes are essentially unchanged since Brexit, the deal has changed but not the source. Can’t source what doesn’t exist.
But wasn't one of the main reasons for Brexit 'to open up new trading routes and opportunities' ???

And I like Rishi being 'relatively normal' despite two fixed penalty notices, the Non-dom farce of his wife, his various cabinet mis appointments, back tracking, resignations and firings, his being second in command to Boris throughout the vast majority of the last 3 years of corrupt and incompetent clusterf***wittery. So that's relatively normal for a 21st century PM is it ?

Although to be fair, after Johnson and Truss, Timmy Mallet would seem 'relatively normal' for a PM :lolol:

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But wasn't one of the main reasons for Brexit 'to open up new trading routes and opportunities' ???

And I like Rishi being 'relatively normal' despite two fixed penalty notices, the Non-dom farce of his wife, his various cabinet mis appointments, back tracking, resignations and firings, his being second in command to Boris throughout the vast majority of the last 3 tears clusterf***. So that's relatively normal for a 21st century PM is it ?

Although to be fair, after Johnson and Truss, Timmy Mallet would seem 'relatively normal' for a PM :lolol:
You’ve answered your own question there, hence the use of the qualifier “relatively”. Like how Alec Baldwin is a relatively good parent, when compared to Josef Fritzel.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
He has made a choice to have loons in the cabinet too, albeit probably tied to deals to get him the top job. I suspect the likes of Braverman and Raab will be his undoing though.

In terms of ‘rational adult’, whilst he was smart enough to see that Brexit would make the rich richer and the poor poorer which plays to his deeply held political beliefs, this constant stoking of the culture is really pathetic. The Tories want to divide and conquer the Country.

That’s the reality of this Conservative Party, he wasn’t going to be PM without appeasing the lunatics, who have far more sway than is healthy in a mainstream political party. I have no doubt that ministerial jobs for some of the chief loons was a condition of his coronation.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

"Oh, but that's France, they can grow their own" I hear the people determined to avoid blaming Brexit for this cry. What would a country like Ukraine be doing? Well...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The weather has affected production. The problems Britain is experiencing are because Brexit has made it so tricky to import to the U.K. , suppliers just aren’t bothering, instead prioritising EU countries where they don’t have the extra red tape and expense that Brexit has caused.

Great.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
^^^ and there are plenty of examples of supply chain issues not shown. I’m not defending Brexit, I was and remain staunchly anti-Brexit. But it’s like in Red Dwarf where Rimmer blames everything on aliens, even who used all the bog roll.

The supply chain is completely unchanged, we are getting our produce from exactly the same sources we always were.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
^^^ and there are plenty of examples of supply chain issues not shown. I’m not defending Brexit, I was and remain staunchly anti-Brexit. But it’s like in Red Dwarf where Rimmer blames everything on aliens, even who used all the bog roll.

The supply chain is completely unchanged, we are getting our produce from exactly the same sources we always were.
The point is we are not getting our produce. Suppliers have black-balled us because of cost and hassle.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The weather has affected production. The problems Britain is experiencing are because Brexit has made it so tricky to import to the U.K. , suppliers just aren’t bothering, instead prioritising EU countries where they don’t have the extra red tape and expense that Brexit has caused.

Great.
Exactly. There's a reason why the UK has been the country hit first and hardest.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The point is we are not getting our produce. Suppliers have black-balled us because of cost and hassle.
Which is not legal or feasible and would result in hefty fines for suppliers. Trade is a two way street, contractual obligations from both sides to meet quotas remain. If they can’t fulfil quotas. Unlike gas and similar day traded commodities, produce agreements are nailed on subject to availability.

The only thing Brexit would affect is logistics of getting the produce into stores, not the actual receipt of goods from producers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Which is not legal or feasible and would result in hefty fines for suppliers. Trade is a two way street, contractual obligations from both sides to meet quotas remain. If they can’t fulfil quotas. Unlike gas and similar day traded commodities, produce agreements are nailed on subject to availability.

The only thing Brexit would affect is logistics of getting the produce into stores, not the actual receipt of goods from producers.
Sorry, but that’s incorrect. When there are shortages, suppliers will prioritise their closest trading partners.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You simply have to Google “how has Brexit affected U.K. food supplies” and you’ll get the same explanation from reliable sources. It will also tell you how Brexit has raised the price of produce, if you want to really depress yourself.

There’s a good reason we didn’t have these issues before we left the EU. It’s not coincidence. It’s not project fear. It’s not covid or Putin or Jeremy Corbyn. It’s not naysayers talking Britain down. It is Brexit.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Indeed. The cost and hassle is so much more for them to supply the UK now that we our outside the EU. Before, they just had to put a lorry through a tunnel for 30mins. All that has changed.
Exactly. Previously there was no barrier we chose to put one in the way. Whatever way you slice it our trading relationship with the EU was always going to be less smooth than before. All these years later it utterly baffles me at the lack of a grown up debate about the consequences of Brexit. Sadly Starmer is not making much a contribution despite the polling suggesting a huge amount of buyers remorse on behalf of the public.

Don't even get me started on the NI Protocol negotiations which are just a joke. The Tories stamping their feet about a deal they actually negotiated. The referendum was in 2016 and it is now 2023, the oven ready deal appears to burnt and inedible now.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling

Interestingly ... Ireland are also experiencing shortages, last time I checked they were in the EU and further border procedures for fruit and veg relating to Brexit won't be introduced until next year. The BBC even have a section about this story titled NOT BREXIT ...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interestingly ... Ireland are also experiencing shortages, last time I checked they were in the EU and further border procedures for fruit and veg relating to Brexit won't be introduced until next year. The BBC even have a section about this story titled NOT BREXIT ...

I wouldn’t rely too much on what the BBC says these days. They have been compromised and infiltrated by the Tory party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here