Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

"brown envelopes of cash changed hands for a planning app"

Would make a change from multi-billion pound dodgy PPE contracts being awarded to Tory donors and Ministers' mates.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
From the Telegraph:

Britain cannot protect its borders within the ECHR. We must leave it
The majority of immigration is now from countries beyond the EU, so this is just more desperate Tory populism and distraction activity - quite apart from the fact that the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU. Still, Torygraph readers will simply see or hear the word 'European' and choke on their G&T.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can answer his question about who helped us during our floods; it was the EU assistance fund. Which we are no longer eligible for.

That video is one reason I don’t think people should be too confident that the Tory’s will lose an election.

Just think, those ghastly specimens were given a vote in the EU referendum. Brexit is what happens when you let thick people decide such matters.
This video serves as a reminder as to who the 25% are that will still vote Tory despite the clusterfuckery of the last 3 years.

I wouldn’t get overly worried that they represent anything like a majority of the electorate. They just represent the sort of person that you might find in a provincial town centre on a weekday.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’m hoping that there are enough people who arent as arrogant, dumb and blind to alternative opinions as you, so that we can have wide ranging debate rather than the polarisation that is paralysing our politics.

Edit: sorry that was a bit personal. I just don’t think it’s right to call people who might disagree with your views ‘dumb or stupid’
and if they ARE dumb and stupid? that's political correctness gone mad

being illogical IS dumb

abc

Jan 6, 2007
But only dumb and stupid in your opinion surely? This long standing thread has become an echo chamber for the anti tories. I totally get the logic of that but one reason why labour have been out of power for so long is they have also lived in an echo chamber refusing to believe that anyone could be so stupid or dumb not to agree with what they say.

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
If they can make enough stupid people so angry that they vote Tory, they’ll get back in. I don’t think they have a chance.
Logic and poll evidence agrees with you but it think the real danger is voter apathy and too few people voting for change. To vote for change there has to be a party that is offering it (and is half electable). There is time of course, but there is little discernable difference between Tory and Labour approaches to the strikes, economy, health expenditure, defence or even immigration. Lots of political grandstanding but no policies. ‘Anyone but the tories’ works for those who were going to vote labour anyway, but the average swing voter will be thinking ‘what will the alternative do for me’. If the answer is ‘nothing new’ then they may not bother to vote and the status quo remains.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
As an aside, pleasing to see an organisation (UEFA) commissioning a report into something they were involved in and then today publishing the findings identifying how they f***ed up, did wrong and then tried to cover it up by lying.

It shouldn't really be refreshing.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Logic and poll evidence agrees with you but it think the real danger is voter apathy and too few people voting for change. To vote for change there has to be a party that is offering it (and is half electable). There is time of course, but there is little discernable difference between Tory and Labour approaches to the strikes, economy, health expenditure, defence or even immigration. Lots of political grandstanding but no policies. ‘Anyone but the tories’ works for those who were going to vote labour anyway, but the average swing voter will be thinking ‘what will the alternative do for me’. If the answer is ‘nothing new’ then they may not bother to vote and the status quo remains.
when do you think starmer should publish his manifesto?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
when do you think starmer should publish his manifesto?
Too early to publish a manifesto but a total vacuum of alternatives to the current mess being put forward now. The inference is that Starmer has no more idea of what to do than the gov whilst there is a massive opportunity to show that labour have a different way forward (if of course they do…..). If they can’t do that now, when will they ever?

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
I can respect someone with different political views to mine if they can provide some intelligent or considered reason or logic - but so many Right-wingers just base their views on emotions, prejudice, or simple hatred of minorities. Or they just unthinkingly accept what they are told by the Daily Mail, Daily Express and The Sun.

There was a voter in Hartlepool a couple of years ago who said they were switching from Labour to the Conservatives because "Labour want to get rid of food-banks." I reserve the right to call that voter a stupid, pig-ignorant, ****.

I have spent 6 years on social media arguing with Brexitters (the "school of hard knocks, university of life, wear-your-poppy-with-pride, bin the Liebour party" brigade - many of whom also seem to look like Phil Mitchell out of Eastenders!) - and I can assure you that the vast majority of them are as thick as mince; they are totally incapable of putting forward a coherent or half-intelligent reason for supporting Brexit. After you have pointed-out the inaccuracies of their arguments or claims, or provided counter-evidence, their final response is usually "Well f***-off and live in Brussels." Just as Tories used to respond to political opponents by aggressively suggesting that they "Emigrate to Moscow."

It seems that "tolerating opposing views" only applies when Right-wingers say something which might be viewed as controversial or offensive - must avoid 'cancel culture' - but witch-hunts and a torrent of abuse online or in the tabloids are OK if a prominent Liberal or Leftie advocates something which offends a Tory or the Daily Mail. I constantly see/hear supposedly freedom-of-speech loving Tories demanding that Gary Lineker be sacked for expressing his support for the EU, or that Chris Packham be sacked for publicly opposing fox-hunting.
Still been an arrogant, obnoxious prick I see. You lot never learn.
We are all trying to get on the same side to flush this shower of shit away but all you have is abuse for people who need convincing.
You and your type are the reason we got this shit show to start with.
Borrow GBs mirror and think about it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
See ya :bigwave:
Still been an arrogant, obnoxious prick I see. You lot never learn.
We are all trying to get on the same side to flush this shower of shit away but all you have is abuse for people who need convincing.
You and your type are the reason we got this shit show to start with.
Borrow GBs mirror and think about it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The majority of immigration is now from countries beyond the EU, so this is just more desperate Tory populism and distraction activity - quite apart from the fact that the ECHR is nothing to do with the EU. Still, Torygraph readers will simply see or hear the word 'European' and choke on their G&T.
The word 'populism' is a bucket (or signifier, if you're being fancy) for which all sorts of awful centrists align with everything bad and horrible with the world. Brexit: that's populism's fault. Corbyn: blame populism. Maduro: terrible populist, see where it leads you. Trump: need we say any more. Anti-populism is alive-and-well.

Populism isn't an ideology. Maybe the ideology that you might want to focus on is (ethno-)nationalism. Populism isn't exactly compatible with conservatism either, considering that the former is pitched against the establishment, whereas the latter is the establishment.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Too early to publish a manifesto but a total vacuum of alternatives to the current mess being put forward now. The inference is that Starmer has no more idea of what to do than the gov whilst there is a massive opportunity to show that labour have a different way forward (if of course they do…..). If they can’t do that now, when will they ever?
The party conference in October will see the unveiling of ideas I’m not sure there will be much if anything before then.

To be honest it’s a gamble expecting to be elected by simply not being the conservatives, my view is that Starmer will have very electable policies but they will not be acceptable to the left of his own party and the second he starts to develop a manifesto that could actually get the Labour Party elected, the Labour Party will eat itself and the internal meltdown/shitshow will very soon put the polls into a tailspin. ‘‘Twas ever thus”

Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here