Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I understand the anger that many will feel that I myself fell short when it came to observing the very rules that the government I lead introduced to protect the public and I accept, in all sincerity, that people have the right to expect better.

Now I feel an even greater sense of obligation to deliver on the priorities of the British people, strengthening our economy, creating jobs and opportunities, levelling up across the whole of the United Kingdom and now, of course, ensuring Putin fails in Ukraine and easing the burden on hard-working families caused by higher energy prices.

I will take forward that task with due humility but with maximum determination to fulfil my duty and do what is best for the country I serve. Thanks very much.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Fabricant needs to think about what he said and take a long hard look in the mirror. There will be many reasons why he won't like what he sees!!

Let’s be specific.

He looks like a disheveled Boris the Liar tribute act. Resplendent in some sort of weird comedy blond wig, he really does come across as a complete ****.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What happened to the infamous garden party with them all lounging around drinking wine with Cummings? Think Carrie was there too which negates the argument it was a works do!!
That was never an issue, but helped to light the touch paper.

Made sense to have meetings outside and there is a drinking culture in Westminster.

The rest ? Bang to rights.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What happened to the infamous garden party with them all lounging around drinking wine with Cummings? Think Carrie was there too which negates the argument it was a works do!!

I'm not sure but from my list that appears to be the first party being investigated. I understood these fines today we were from party number 3, but there was mention of the 30 fines being the 30 attendees from the 100 invitees, which I believe was that first 'garden' party :shrug:

It's almost as if someone is muddying the waters and doesn't want the truth to come out, but I'm sure that isn't the case :wink:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No response yet. I guess that we all give him a chance to do the honorable thing for the first time in his life before every one of us with a Tory MP writes them a short message along the lines of:

'I trust that you'll be submitting your letter of no confidence to the 1922 committee today. Keeping a Prime Minister who has lied to parliament and the country about having broken laws that he made is not an option for a democratic country governed by the rule of law. There is simply no way of excusing this and any MP who tries to do so would be failing the electorate by prioritising the career of one man over their sworn responsibility to Queen and country.'

The oath that they swear to become an MP states:

"I (name of Member) swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."

Or

"I (name of Member) do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law."

However if I was Johnson I would take the 'according to law' only applies to being faithful and bearing true allegiance to the Queen, not obeying the law in any other situation and certainly not in respect of parties where no one told me they were against the rules (well until the Met did this week).

So no need to resign as I've kept my oath the Liz.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"The PM has got to think hard, and he has got to apologise," says Conservative MP Michael Fabricant.

But he adds he doesn't think Boris Johnson "at any time thought he was breaking the law".

Fabricant argues the prime minister was "just like many teachers and nurses who after a very, very long shift would tend to go back to the staff room and have a quiet drink".

This sort of thing shows how astonishingly out of touch the Conservative Party is. They have confused the pro-Brexit vote with a license to do whatever they want. If I was a Tory councillor, I’d be looking for something else to do in June, thousands could be kicked out in May.

He's in the shit for this (Fabricaaant, I mean).

Stewart Anderson (tory MP) just said he didn't break the rules during Covid, and Johnson, like Anderson, understood them, and that Johnson didn't mislead parliament when he said he hadn't broken the rules, and that he thinks that Johnson was sincere when de declared he hadn't broken any rules, and that we now need to move on.

Is being completely thick or completely dishonest (or both) de rigueur in the tory party nowadays? ???

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
PM denies lying about following Covid rules
When stories first started emerging about parties in Downing Street, Boris Johnson insisted all guidance was followed.

After reading his statement, he is asked if he lied. The prime minister says he said what he did in "completely good faith".

"It didn't occur to me that I was in breach of the rules."

"I now humbly accept that I was

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Let’s be specific.

He looks like a disheveled Boris the Liar tribute act. Resplendent in some sort of weird comedy blond wig, he really does come across as a complete ****.

I've just realised you're talking about Fabricant. I thought you were talking about Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson's statement earlier this evening :lolol:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries defends the prime minister, calling Boris Johnson's lockdown birthday party a "brief gathering".

Dorries tweets that the PM "has been clear" about events on 19 June 2020 and already offered a full apology.

She says: "It was a brief gathering in the Cabinet Room, less than 10 minutes during a busy working day."

Defending his position as prime minister, she adds: "PM is at his best when delivering on the priorities of the British people which he will continue to do."

Dorries, a loyal supporter of Johnson, is believed to be the first cabinet minister to publicly comment on the fines.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's the footballisation of politics, "my man" can do no wrong. Plus for many Johnson has credit from 2019 and "getting Brexit done" in the bank.

It's akin to when Trump said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose a single vote.

I'm an ardent Brexiteer as is well known on here but I truly don't believe there is anyone ( bar Rees-Mogg ) that can defend him here. For the avoidance of doubt I don't support Johnson in any shape or form - or equally give him credit in the bank to do this because he 'delivered' Brexit. Hopefully he'll now be kicked out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1513928455578165254[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm an ardent Brexiteer as is well known on here but I truly don't believe there is anyone ( bar Rees-Mogg ) that can defend him here. For the avoidance of doubt I don't support Johnson in any shape or form - or equally give him credit in the bank to do this because he 'delivered' Brexit. Hopefully he'll now be kicked out.

:bowdown:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris clearly won't resign, so will the party push him out or will he march on to the next election

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries defends the prime minister, calling Boris Johnson's lockdown birthday party a "brief gathering".

Dorries tweets that the PM "has been clear" about events on 19 June 2020 and already offered a full apology.

She says: "It was a brief gathering in the Cabinet Room, less than 10 minutes during a busy working day."

Defending his position as prime minister, she adds: "PM is at his best when delivering on the priorities of the British people which he will continue to do."

Dorries, a loyal supporter of Johnson, is believed to be the first cabinet minister to publicly comment on the fines.

Tremendous to see all the intellectual heavyweights, Dorries and Fabricaaaant, rallying around Johnson.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
A fine the same as the reduced amount for stopping on a double yellow line, technically breaking the law but no one ever has resigned for stopping on a double yellow line, time to move on its very very boring!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Tories got a large majority in seats only.

In actual votes, they didn’t, more people voted against them, than for them. It’s only our not fit for purpose electoral system that gave them such a large majority in the HOC.

I know our system is poor but the fact is no PM has won a majority of the vote since Baldwin in 1935!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Boris clearly won't resign, so will the party push him out or will he march on to the next election

If he does 'march on' I hope Starmer has removals arranged .... he's going to need them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

They will be like Leeds.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Obviously I agree with the second part of your statement completely, but was there a significant issue over the last 2.5 years that caused you to change your view, or has it been a gradual build up.

And equally, I respect if you would rather not answer.

I think we are both agreed that the **** is not good for Britain :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here