Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
According to the Guardian live politics blog:

Sunak is doing his first major pre-campaign event today, and will apparently during that event say something to the effect of: "The choice is whether we stick with the plan that is starting to deliver the long-term change our country needs, or go back to square one with the Labour party."

I think the problem Sunak has with taking that particular campaign message is that an awful lot of voters probably think that "going back to square one" is exactly what the country needs. A full reset after the chaotic mess the Tories have created, from which Labour can set us on the pathway to a viable future-facing economy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Sunak is doing his first major pre-campaign event today, and will apparently during that event say something to the effect of: "The choice is whether we stick with the plan that is starting to deliver the long-term change our country needs, or go back to square one with the Labour party."

I think the problem Sunak has with taking that particular campaign message is that an awful lot of voters probably think that "going back to square one" is exactly what the country needs. A full reset after the chaotic mess the Tories have created, from which Labour can set us on the pathway to a viable future-facing economy.
The Tories have been delivering long term change since 2015, the problem is its also long term decline.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The Tories have been delivering long term change since 2015, the problem is its also long term decline.
Which a Tory MP has come out and said over the weekend. Sunak's in a spot of bother this week if there's any journos who feel like making him squirm.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Not just me thinking this:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Contrary to popular belief the phrase 'Going back to Square One' doesn't orignate in radio broadcasts of football matches. The grid system used rectangles, not squares and 'square' one wasn't the goalkeeper, but just the left side of the defensive area of one of the teams. It doesn't make sense as an automatic starting point and, if it had been used by commentators (which there is no recorded evidence that it ever was), they would have also had to introduce the phrases 'back to Square Two, Square Seven or Square Eight' depending on which team had the ball and on which side of the pitch.

The first recorded written use comes some years later and is in an article that uses a snakes and ladders metaphor to exemplify progress being lost.

That puts the kibosh on my plan to suggest that RDZ's tactics show that significant progress can be made by going back, so instead I'll just link to 'Here it is Take it' by that greatest of lost eighties bands That Petrol Emotion:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t believe this hasn’t been posted yet. Truly award winning levels of piss-takery here.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ndidate-to-replace-him?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Jonathan Ashworth, a shadow Cabinet Office minister, said: “Rishi Sunak caving to Peter Bone’s demand to select his partner so he doesn’t run as an independent shows just how weak the prime minister is. Rishi Sunak is too weak to lead his own party, let alone the country.

“The people of Wellingborough deserve the best possible candidate to represent them, not the product of a quick political fix. Only Labour can deliver the change the voters want to see and give Britain its future back.”

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

68% of the sample who voted Tory last time think the country is in a worse state now than in 2010.

Obviously its only one sample, but if its anywhere in that ballpark among THEIR OWN VOTERS they really are screwed.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

68% of the sample who voted Tory last time think the country is in a worse state now than in 2010.

Obviously its only one sample, but if its anywhere in that ballpark among THEIR OWN VOTERS they really are screwed.

Yes, but what percentage think, or believe when told, that it would be worse still if Labour had been in power?

It's never the Tories' fault you see...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have been shouting out about the Tory idea of Freeports and SEZs for quite a while now.
Private Eye has also been publishing articles warning about them, but people still have to wake up to the implications.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have been shouting out about the Tory idea of Freeports and SEZs for quite a while now.
Private Eye has also been publishing articles warning about them, but people still have to wake up to the implications.

Richard Brooks is an absolutely fantastic investigative journalist. He's covered some of the key legislative developments over decades (eg PFI and now freeports), and revealed to those amongst the public willing to listen that they're being conned.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When I look at Gove these days, it’s with one singular desire.

The desire that he should fill in one of the two massive pot holes near my house that I have to avoid on a daily basis.

Do I want him out there with a shovel and tarmacadam actually doing the work himself? No. I want him to be the actual filling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here