Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022

That is an excellent summary, and what is so interesting is it was the one policy that this government made all the noise about, it was the one policy where they seemed to actually be motivated to act.

And yet, it didn’t take account of British, European or International law.

How incompetent does a government have to be for their flagship policy (some would say their only policy) to be ruled illegal in the courts.

They’ve had thirteen years in power, and all their ‘accomplishments’ are negative. We are poorer, internationally diminished, with higher levels of child poverty, public services on the brink of collapse and a high street that reminds me of the end of the Thatcher years.

They haven’t even got Brexit done, because we keep delaying implementing checks on goods. We know that implementing these will increase costs, add delays and further impact supply chains. How many years is it now since we left?

Taking control of our borders? Nonsense. Avoiding the scrutiny of other nation states while our right-wing political class defraud its own citizens is why others wanted out of the EU.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That is an excellent summary, and what is so interesting is it was the one policy that this government made all the noise about, it was the one policy where they seemed to actually be motivated to act.

And yet, it didn’t take account of British, European or International law.

How incompetent does a government have to be for their flagship policy (some would say their only policy) to be ruled illegal in the courts.

They’ve had thirteen years in power, and all their ‘accomplishments’ are negative. We are poorer, internationally diminished, with higher levels of child poverty, public services on the brink of collapse and a high street that reminds me of the end of the Thatcher years.

They haven’t even got Brexit done, because we keep delaying implementing checks on goods. We know that implementing these will increase costs, add delays and further impact supply chains. How many years is it now since we left?

Taking control of our borders? Nonsense. Avoiding the scrutiny of other nation states while our right-wing political class defraud its own citizens is why others wanted out of the EU.
They’ve held back all the major downsides of trade after Brexit (the cost mainly) so that it’ll look like it’s Labour that have caused it if they come to power next year.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
B
Yeah and Labour wont be able to deny being complicit due to the stance they have taken on Brexit throughout.
By throughout what you mean is since we voted leave and Corbyn was replaced. Throughout, the lib dens have constantly said they will reverse brexit. That has done wonders for their quest for power. Had Starmer committed to another vote, Labour would also be toast. In 3 years, after we have properly left, public opinion may change.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
B

By throughout what you mean is since we voted leave and Corbyn was replaced. Throughout, the lib dens have constantly said they will reverse brexit. That has done wonders for their quest for power. Had Starmer committed to another vote, Labour would also be toast. In 3 years, after we have properly left, public opinion may change.
No I mean throughout. Prior to voting for leave.

Labour at no point gave a firm party backing either way. Which is understandable for political reasons.

The Lib Dems were constantly able to say they would reverse it safe in the knowledge that they would never be in a position to implement it. See also thei oposition to the Gulf war, axing tuition fees, etc.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Labour at no point gave a firm party backing either way. Which is understandable for political reasons.

The Lib Dems were constantly able to say they would reverse it safe in the knowledge that they would never be in a position to implement it. See also thei oposition to the Gulf war, axing tuition fees, etc.
But nor did the Tories. They had people from both sides of the party campaiging for different outcomes!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
But nor did the Tories. They had people from both sides of the party campaiging for different outcomes!
Correct.

But which is the party now in government, run almost entirely, by a cabinet of Bexiteers, has the opportunity to unleash the sunlit uplands of the checks on goods, higher prices, and thus inflation that this will bring?!

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK

Ah OK. Both main parties had remain and leave proponents. Unfortunately Labour had Corbyn. A historic euroskeptic who sat on the fence. But before the vote most of the noise was being generated by the shit, Farage, and the media was mostly focused on this. Agree with your point about the liberals, they could promise any bollocks and it matters not. But if we had PR....thank goodness we don't.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
From the Guardian's report on Sunak's plan: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lock-sunaks-new-rwanda-plan-on-asylum-seekers

We believe we are acting to fulfil the wishes of the public...My belief is that the Rwanda migration partnership remains something that the public wants us to deliver on.

The only polling done so far suggests that his belief is wrong. 51% of the public want the policy abandoned. Only 28% are in favour.
https://www.markpack.org.uk/171941/first-polling-after-rwanda-plan-ruled-unlawful/"

Remember this whenever they wheel out the tired old 'will of the people' lie.

More pressingly, if Sunak is about doing things that the public want, then why hasn't he f-'d off?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Quite clear that the Tories have invented an issue here which they can fight the election on no matter the human cost.

It doesn’t have to take a long time to get legislation through – and that is a question for the Labour party.

We’re determined to get this through as quickly as possible. So the real question is: is the Labour party going to stand in the way and stop this from happening, or are they going to work with us and support this bill so we can get it through as quickly as possible?

I know that the British people want this problem gripped. I know the British people will want this new law to pass so we can get flights off to Rwanda.

So really, the question is for Keir Starmer and the Labour Party, why don’t they?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Hunt is open to the idea of a cut partly because inheritance tax is highly unpopular with Conservative voters and partly because it would cost less than cutting income tax. The Times reported on Friday he was considering reducing the rate from 40% to either 30% or 20%, with a promise to abolish it altogether in the next Tory manifesto.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has said abolishing inheritance tax would cost an estimated £7bn a year, half of the benefit of which would be enjoyed by people inheriting estates worth £2.1m or more. The potential loss to the Treasury rises to almost £15bn a year by 2032.

Looking after their base, never mind the projected £15bn loss if they cut it entirely. I guess they could balance that cost by coming down harder on tax avoidance / evasion but then, as I say, they're looking after their base.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Hunt is open to the idea of a cut partly because inheritance tax is highly unpopular with Conservative voters and partly because it would cost less than cutting income tax. The Times reported on Friday he was considering reducing the rate from 40% to either 30% or 20%, with a promise to abolish it altogether in the next Tory manifesto.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has said abolishing inheritance tax would cost an estimated £7bn a year, half of the benefit of which would be enjoyed by people inheriting estates worth £2.1m or more. The potential loss to the Treasury rises to almost £15bn a year by 2032.

Looking after their base, never mind the projected £15bn loss if they cut it entirely. I guess they could balance that cost by coming down harder on tax avoidance / evasion but then, as I say, they're looking after their base.
"In the spring the OBR said he could spend an extra £6.5bn and still have debt falling as a proportion of gross domestic product in five years’ time. The Resolution Foundation thinktank has predicted that could now be £13bn, although reports suggest it could be even higher."

So, instead of spending that £13bn on local services, reducing poverty, NHS, measures to benefit everyone, etc, etc - his first thought is.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"In the spring the OBR said he could spend an extra £6.5bn and still have debt falling as a proportion of gross domestic product in five years’ time. The Resolution Foundation thinktank has predicted that could now be £13bn, although reports suggest it could be even higher."

So, instead of spending that £13bn on local services, reducing poverty, NHS, measures to benefit everyone, etc, etc - his first thought is.....
smells like kite flying, if he has 6-13bn spare he could cut income tax or rise allowances, and some spending on NHS, for much wider voter support.

or cutting some of the deficit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills