Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories in a total mess

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Most economists are forcasting that the economy would shrink, but not all. The general concensus seems to be that there would be an initial "shock" to the economy, but in then long term there is no reason why we could not recover and prosper. It all depends who you believe, I don't think anybody can say for certain.

Switzerland aren't in the EU and they certainly seem to do very well for themselves, trading freely with the rest of the world without being shackled to the various tariffs and quotas the EU impose on member states. They have amongst the highest earnings and lowest unemployment in Europe.
Switzerland has dirty money, of course they do very well for themselves. They also have a far more democratic system of government to lose than we do - personally, I find this idea that we cede our democracy to the EU too readily is a bit of a straw man argument when our upper house is un-elected and one family is completely above the law.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Most economists are forcasting that the economy would shrink, but not all. The general concensus seems to be that there would be an initial "shock" to the economy, but in then long term there is no reason why we could not recover and prosper. It all depends who you believe, I don't think anybody can say for certain.

Switzerland aren't in the EU and they certainly seem to do very well for themselves, trading freely with the rest of the world without being shackled to the various tariffs and quotas the EU impose on member states. They have amongst the highest earnings and lowest unemployment in Europe.

As someone who has worked for a Swiss company for 20 years, works with very many Swiss nationals, and who travels very regularly and extensively there, I feel reasonable well placed to comment on this.

1. The Swiss are thoroughly pissed off with their relationship with the EU. Not in it, but contributing heavily to it. They neither have their cake, nor eat it.
2. Swiss import export laws - even just within Europe, are a MASSIVE ball-ache. I am reminded of this at work pretty much every working day.
3. Switzerland has bigger immigration issues than we ever have or ever will.
4. The Swiss mind set on trade agreements is inherently protectionist. It has not done them many favours.
5. Levels of bureaucracy are hugely, hugely more problematic than here.

but hey, let's leave, and be like Switzerland.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If you'd rather believe the £ will be unaffected by Brexit then that's up to you. Personally I'm looking at what is happening to the stock market and that is just with the threat of Brexit hanging over us.

Had a good chat with a highly respected City bod, he is a 'remainer' but also added that nobody really knows. These amateur scaremongers just make it worse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not saying we would become like Switzerland, just mentioning them as an example of a country with a strong economy within Europe that is not part of the EU. There may well still be lots of bureaucratic ball-aches to deal with, it may not be perfect, but they have a strong functioning economy along with low unemployment, so whats not to like ?

And Switzerland may well have greater immigration issues than we ever will, but then they're a landlocked country so they're bound to.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've been through worse under the current regime, and will as always recover. Larger and more significant 'crashes' blamed on other convenient issues were soon recovered.
If we leave, the value of the pound will plummet, and access to the single market will have trading tariffs put in place. The evidence is that the stock market has lost £100bn merely being under threat of Brexit.

So what "worse" have we suffered under the current regime, exactly?

Oh no, I forgot, stay in and we'll all live in milk and honey, sewing daisies in each others hair.
That's a bit feeble. Stay in, and we maintain access to the huge single market on our doorstep, with free movement for our people.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Personally, I wish I could forgive the LibDems for selling their soul for a whiff of power, but I just can't. .

I think how the Tories have behaved since they are no longer in a coalition with the Lib Dems shows how good the Lib Dems were. I know Clegg buggered it up with the Students but I like Tim Farron and I am considering drawing a line under it and giving them another go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not saying we would become like Switzerland, just mentioning them as an example of a country with a strong economy within Europe that is not part of the EU. There may well still be lots of bureaucratic ball-aches to deal with, it may not be perfect, but they have a strong functioning economy along with low unemployment, so whats not to like ?

So you want to be like Switzerland but only the good bits.

I've just given you a long list of exactly what's 'not to like'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And yet they're still going to win the next election without breaking into a sweat.

*giggle*

Absolutely.

Even as a Conservative you must flinch at the lack of an effective opposition. Corbyn is the political equivalent of Hyppia.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've just listened to PMQ's and nearly all questions consisted of "Does the Prime Minister agree that" .................. "therefor staying in is best for the country". It was nothing more than a thirty minute set-up of questions designed to make us vote stay.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't wait for Boris to be PM with Gove and IDS alongside him and Farage as Home Sec.

Happy days.

I think Farage's diplomatic skills will see him as Foreign Secretary. He and Boris will enjoy powwowing with Trump and Putin. This sounds like the very definition of an 'Unholy Alliance/Triple Entente'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Absolutely.

Even as a Conservative you must flinch at the lack of an effective opposition. Corbyn is the political equivalent of Hyppia.

Completely. I've lost all faith in Cameron and by rights the Tories would be rightly sent to the opposition benches if Labour had a credible alternative. Instead we've got Corbyn who has massive fanboy support from sections of his party but is a dead duck outside it. And his shadow chancellor is an IRA-loving Marxist. Utter madness.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Remain crew keep on harping on about the huge marketplace of the EU-what a load of totally misleading twaddle,as usual.Most of our exports go to France,Germany,Italy,and Spain.We export a great deal of sod-all to the rest,so who cares if they won't play with us?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you want to be like Switzerland but only the good bits.

I've just given you a long list of exactly what's 'not to like'.

Again, I've not said I want us to be like Switzerland per-se. I've just offered them up as an example of a strong functioning economy that operates within Europe without being part of the EU. It shows that it is actually possible to exist and thrive without being in the club.

Just depends whether or not you believe Britain could find its own way.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Jobs up again today however if we go out interest rates it's always the poor that suffer vote to stay and reform the EU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here