Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories in a total mess

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Vote of no confidence in the Government should be enough to force a GE.

But, the vast majority of MPs ,all parties support staying in, would enough of them support a vote of no confidence, if it meant the country wold end up wit the outer clique running things.
The Tories can be ruthless when they feel a faction have been disloyal

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Worryingly, Corbyn has turned Labour so unelectable that if there was a GE tomorrow the Tories would still win it and you suspect, win it well

We're a one party state for the foreseeable future

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Worryingly, Corbyn has turned Labour so unelectable that if there was a GE tomorrow the Tories would still win it and you suspect, win it well

I'm not so sure. If we exit the EU and Gideon makes good on his latest toys-out-of-the-pram dark threats to ramp up taxes and heap further swinging cuts on public spending, then the electorate won't stand for it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not so sure. If we exit the EU and Gideon makes good on his latest toys-out-of-the-pram dark threats to ramp up taxes and heap further swinging cuts on public spending, then the electorate won't stand for it.

Indeed they won't. They'll demand a new chancellor and he'll have to ramp up taxes and cut public spending instead. :rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Indeed they won't. They'll demand a new chancellor and he'll have to ramp up taxes and cut public spending instead. :rolleyes:

And the Tories would find themselves out at the next GE. Replaced by what, I know not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And the Tories would find themselves out at the next GE. Replaced by what, I know not.

Whoever it is will end up raising taxes to pay for the shortfall caused by a shrinking economy thanks to Brexit. It will probably still be the Tories, although they'll be propped up by minor parties once again.

Sad times when I can honestly say a slightly left of centre natural voter like me would rather be ruled by the comically bad Eton-set than either the current Labour or LibDem leadership. Personally I've never felt so disenfranchised.

I can see this being the end of traditional 2 party politics, Labour & Tories are both ripe to split now. Tories into Euro & Euro sceptic parties and Labour into Blairite and Corbynite sections, I think Corbyn needs to massively up his game in the next week or so otherwise he will have to think about the future.
Yep, there are some younger members of the tory and Labour parties with some decent real world experience. These old Tories with 20 years of baggage are dying out fast. New beginnings are needed. New parties will form out of this referendum when we leave and I can't wait.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Neill has had enough today....crabby doesn't cover it! "When is this referendum? Can't come soon enough".
And musing on politics post Referendum...
"Will Ed Vaizey still be wittering on?"

He has been rude to both sides though. Very even-handed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whoever it is will end up raising taxes to pay for the shortfall caused by a shrinking economy thanks to Brexit. It will probably still be the Tories, although they'll be propped up by minor parties once again.

Sad times when I can honestly say a slightly left of centre natural voter like me would rather be ruled by the comically bad Eton-set than either the current Labour or LibDem leadership. Personally I've never felt so disenfranchised.

That's if you accept the doom-and-gloom Remain forcasts that the economy WILL shrink if we exit the EU.

And yes, I certainly feel your disenfranchisement too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'm not sure this is true. A few months ago I thought that the Tories had the next GE sown up but things have changed since then. First of all, a Corbyn-led Labour Party is proving more electable than commentators thought. It's won all its parliamentary by-elections, the mayoral elections in London and Bristol and held most of its council seats in the May election (no small matter that, it was expected to lose heavily).

Secondly, the Tory party is far more fractured than I thought it would be. We've had MPs - supposedly on the same side - call each other liars and incompetent. I'm not sure those wounds will be easily healed. And there's plenty of evidence that the electorate dislike divided parties and vote against them.

There are many other factors of course - the EU vote is the main one but the fallout from it could be equally devastating. I think the next GE will be far more interesting than I thought it would be

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's if you accept the doom-and-gloom Remain forcasts that the economy WILL shrink if we exit the EU.

And yes, I certainly feel your disenfranchisement too.
You're a bit deluded if you think the economy will do anything other than shrink - that's why all manner of economic experts are lining up to tell us. Trade won't stop but there will tariffs placed on all sorts of industries. The unknown is by how much the economy would shrink. Oh and the value of your savings will shrink by a quarter almost overnight when the pound slumps in value too.

And ten years later if it transpires Brexit was a massive mistake, do you really think it will be easy to get back in?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Oh and the value of your savings will shrink by a quarter almost overnight when the pound slumps in value too.

tumblr_la3ez2S3Fv1qc2d3ro1_500.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You're a bit deluded if you think the economy will do anything other than shrink - that's why all manner of economic experts are lining up to tell us. Trade won't stop but there will tariffs placed on all sorts of industries. The unknown is by how much the economy would shrink. Oh and the value of your savings will shrink by a quarter almost overnight when the pound slumps in value too.

And ten years later if it transpires Brexit was a massive mistake, do you really think it will be easy to get back in?

Most economists are forcasting that the economy would shrink, but not all. The general concensus seems to be that there would be an initial "shock" to the economy, but in then long term there is no reason why we could not recover and prosper. It all depends who you believe, I don't think anybody can say for certain.

Switzerland aren't in the EU and they certainly seem to do very well for themselves, trading freely with the rest of the world without being shackled to the various tariffs and quotas the EU impose on member states. They have amongst the highest earnings and lowest unemployment in Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here