Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finally worked out my top twenty for this year - the top three were easy to pick out, but to whittle down another around thirty or so great albums into the remaining 17 spots less so.

There's been many albums that have been brought out this year that I've really got into - if they were released in 2011 or 2012, John Grant and Daft Punk would have made my top ten no problem (probably even the top five), but they didn't even make my final twenty for this year in the end.

So here's what I concluded with:

1. Moderat - II
2. Local Natives - Hummingbird
3. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
4. Ducktails - The Flower Lane
5. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
6. Atoms For Peace - Amok
7. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
8. Gold Panda - Half Of Where You Live
9. Apparat - Kreig Und Frieden
10. Lusine - The Waiting Room
11. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
12. Washed Out - Paracosm
13. Suuns - Images Du Futur
14. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
15. Jagwar Ma - Howlin'
16. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
17. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
18. Cloud Control - Dream Cave
19. Savages - Silence Yourself
20. Queens Of The Stone Age - Like Clockwork

Nice to see you have the Apparat album in your top 10. Some good stuff in your 20 and you have similar taste to me so I will take note of the albums I do not recognize.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I forgot these two-
Charlie Boyer and The Voyeurs and The Pastels both of whom released excellent albums.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Q: 1 AM, Arctic Monkeys. 2 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 3 The Next Day, David Bowie. 4 Random Access Memories, Daft Punk. 5 Immunity Jon Hopkins

Mojo: 1 Dream River, Bill Callahan. 2 Random Access Memories, Daft Punk. 3 The Next Day, David Bowie. 4 AM, Arctic Monkeys. 5 Pale Green Ghosts, John Grant

Uncut: 1 m b v, My Bloody Valentine. 2 The Next Day, David Bowie. 3 Push The Sky Away, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. 4 Pale Green Ghosts, John Grant. 5 Once I Was An Eagle, Laura Marling

Paste: 1 Muchacho, Phosphorescent. 2 MCII, Mikal Cronin. 3 We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic, Foxygen. 4 The Electric Lady, Janelle Monae. 5 Monomania, Deerhunter

Spin: 1 Yeezus, Kanye West. 2 Acid Rap, Chance the Rapper. 3 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 4 Days Are Gone, Haim. 5 Settle, Disclosure

Rolling Stone: 1 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 2 Yeezus, Kanye West. 3 Random Access Memories, Daft Punk. 4 New, Paul McCartney. 5 Reflektor, Arcade Fire

The Quietus: 1 Glynnaestra, Grumbling Fur. 2 Field Of Reeds, These New Puritans. 3 The Next Day, David Bowie. 4 Factory Floor, Factory Floor. 5. Champagne Holocaust, Fat White Family

NME: 1 AM, Arctic Monkeys. 2 Yeezus, Kanye West. 3 Like Clockwork, Queens Of The Stone Age. 4 Holy Fire, Foals. 5 Silence Yourself, Savages

AV Club: 1 Yeezus, Kanye West. 2 Days Are Gone, Haim. 3 Sunbather, Deafheaven. 4= Trouble Will Find Me, The National. 4= The Bones Of What You Believe, Chvrches

The Skinny: 1 Slow Focus, **** Buttons. 2 Monkey Minds In The Devil's Time, Steve Mason. 3 Factory Floor, Factory Floor. 4 Trouble Will Find Me, The National. 5 The Bones Of What You Believe, Chvrches

Faster Louder: 1 Pure Heroine, Lorde. 2 ...Like Clockwork, Queens Of The Stone Age. 3 Yeezus, Kanye West. 4 Hungry Ghost, Violent Soho. 5 Random Access Memories, Daft Punk

music OMH: 1 Ghosts, John Grant. 2 Push The Sky Away, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds. 3 Trouble Will Find Me, The National. 4 Next Day, David Bowie. 5 AM, Arctic Monkeys

Pop Matters: 1 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 2 The Worse Things Get..., Neko Case. 3 Shaking The Habitual, The Knife. 4 Settle, Disclosure. 5 Southeastern, Jason Isbell

Time Out: 1 Settle, Disclosure. 2 AM, Arctic Monkeys, 3 Next Day, David Bowie. 4 m b v, My Bloody Valentine. 5 Cut 4 Me, Kelela

Drowned In Sound: 1 Pearl Mystic, Hookworms. 2 Push The Sky Away, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds. 3 Nepenthe, Julianna Barwick. 4 Paramore, Paramore. 5 Reflektor, Arcade Fire

The 405 1 Acid Rap, Chance The Rapper. 2 Psychic, Darkside. 3 Yeezus, Kanye West. 4 The Man Who Died In His Boat, Grouper. 5 Immunity, Jon Hopkins

Slant 1 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 2 Reflektor, Arcade Fire. 3 Pure Heroine, Lorde. 4 Yeezus, Kanye West. 5 Settle, Disclosure

Consequence Of Sound 1 Yeezus, Kanye West. 2 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 3 m b v, My Bloody Valentine. 4 The Bones of What You Believe, Chvrches. 5 Wakin On A Pretty Daze, Kurt Vile

Pretty Much Amazing 1 Yeezus, Kanye West. 2 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend. 3 Anxiety, Autre Ne Veut. 5 Settle, Disclosure, 5 Trouble Will Find Me, The National

Fact 1 The Redeemer, Dean Blunt. 2 Night Time, My Time, Sky Ferreira. 3 Yeezus, Kanye West. 4 100% Galcher, Galcher Lustwerk. 5 Cut 4 Me, Kelela

Clash 1 Doris, Early Swatshirt. 2 Overgrown, James Blake. 3 Yeezus, Kanye West. 4 Amok, Atoms For Peace. 5 6 Feet Beneath The Moon, King Krule

Evening Standard 1 Immunity, John Hopkins. 2 Pure Heroine, Lorde. 3 Settle, Disclosure. 4 Wakin On A Pretty Daze, Kurt Vile. 5 Modern Vampires Of The City, Vampire Weekend

Loud & Quiet 1 Pearl Mystic, Hookwoms. 2 The Inheritors, James Holden. 3 AM, Arctic Monkeys. 4 Caramel, Conan Mockasin. 5 Field Of Reeds, These New Puritans

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Aggregate of sites and publications so far.

(30pts are awarded to the album named No.1, 29pts to the No.2 and so on)
1.453 Vampire Weekend Modern Vampires Of The City
2.422 Kanye West Yeezus
3.335 Arctic Monkeys AM
4.297 The National Trouble Will Find Me
5.293 David Bowie The Next Day
6.278 Arcade Fire Reflektor
7.268 Daft Punk Random Access Memories
8.257 My Bloody Valentine m b v
9.254 Disclosure Settle
10.253 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Push Away The Sky

11.240 Jon Hopkins Immunity
12.205 Haim Days Are Gone
13.205 Lorde Pure Heroine
14202 Chance The Rapper Acid Rap
15.184 Savages Silence Yourself
16.181 Janelle Monae The Electric Lady
17.176 The Knife Shaking The Habitual
18.174 Chvrches The Bones of What You Believe
19.166 Kurt Vile Wakin On A Pretty Daze
20.160 John Grant Pale Green Ghosts

21.158 Queens Of The Stone Age ...Like Clockwork
22.138 Laura Marling Once I Was An Eagle
23.116 Factory Floor Factory Flooor
24.113 Hookworms Pearl Mystic
25.111 James Blake Overgrown
26.106 **** Buttons Slow Focus
27.99 Boards Of Canada Tomorrow's Harvest
28.99 Foals Holy Fire
29.99 These New Puritans Field Of Reeds
30.97 Danny brown Old

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good to see Nick Cave appearing in a number of the charts in the previous post. Stylistically lush, very atmospheric and a nice change in direction with all the usual hallmarks in his lyrics.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I can't stand that Vampire Weekend album. My top three would be Mattthew E White, Steve Mason and John Grant. My other stinker of the year would be the Electric Soft Parade album. Very disappointing.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Nice to see you have the Apparat album in your top 10. Some good stuff in your 20 and you have similar taste to me so I will take note of the albums I do not recognize.

Have to admit, I think the "II" album is the best thing either of Modeselektor or Apparat have been involved in. As good as their first Moderat collaboration was and also their own albums, they've stepped it up even more with this team effort.

It got a lot of very good reviews when it came out, so am very surprised it's been rather overlooked in the music press's end-of-year lists so far (bar a couple of exceptions). Jon Hopkins, on the other hand, seems to be a shoo-in on everyone's list.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to admit, I think the "II" album is the best thing either of Modeselektor or Apparat have been involved in. As good as their first Moderat collaboration was and also their own albums, they've stepped it up even more with this team effort.

It got a lot of very good reviews when it came out, so am very surprised it's been rather overlooked in the music press's end-of-year lists so far (bar a couple of exceptions). Jon Hopkins, on the other hand, seems to be a shoo-in on everyone's list.

I've not actually got II. I have the first album and a number of Apparat releases-I will rectify this this week.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
CorgiRegisteredFriend;60 77237 said:
Good to know she made it to top spot in at least one listing- live she was amazing.
Can't say I have heard any Daniel Avery- what kind of music is it? Been a very good year for music all round and struggling to get it down to a top ten.

It keeps reminding me of Exit Planet Dust/Dig Your Own Hole era Chemical Brothers.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Good to see Nick Cave appearing in a number of the charts in the previous post. Stylistically lush, very atmospheric and a nice change in direction with all the usual hallmarks in his lyrics.

Agree. I have my top 50 albums sorted, not in total order, but Nick Cave in the top 10. Best album for years.

My top five is:
1) The LLiminanas - Costa Blanca
2) Mark Kozelek and Jimmy Lavalle - Perils by the Sea
3) The House of Love - She Paints Words in Red
4) Placebo -Loud Like Love
5) Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Midlake 'Antiphon'
Elephant Stone s/t
Then Comes Silence 'II'
Jonathan Wilson 'Fanfare'
The Black Angels
Grande Roses
The National

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here