Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Top 100 albums of 2013 ****

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
As someone who has meant to listen to this record all bloody year, I'll tell you what I think the problem is. They don't appear to make the easiest of bedfellows on paper and I think both their fanbases are put off by the involvement of the other. A bit like Lou Reed/ Metallica "Lulu" which I maintain is nowhere near as bad as people made out.

Give it a go, it won't dissapoint

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Rather enjoying The Inheritors by Holden
James_Holden_-_The_Inheritors.jpg

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It's very soulful and also very spiritual. Been a tough year for me and said goodbye to my mum today after a long illness and listened to this loads in the past few weeks. If you like Bon Iver you'll love this. A truly beautiful album.

Sorry to hear about your mother - Thank you for the recommendation it could very well be my album of the year. I love all seven tracks, a truly beautiful piece of work.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Purchased what should be my final four albums of the year:-

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Savages - Silence Yourself
**** Buttons - Slow Focus
Bill Callahan - Dream River

I'll try and draw up a top ten in the next couple of weeks, but it's going to be really tough with so many strong contenders.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Sorry to hear about your mother - Thank you for the recommendation it could very well be my album of the year. I love all seven tracks, a truly beautiful piece of work.

Thank you, Glad you liked it. About time somebody did - I think it's sublime but nobody I had recommendd it to until now feels the same!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quietus's list

http://thequietus.com/articles/13960-albums-of-the-year-2013

I'm seeing their number 1 on 21st of December at The Outer Churches Winter Solstice bash. Anyone else going? It should be an excellent evening.

That Shit****ers ablum sounds interesting. I'm really pleased Daniel Avery is making a lot of top 10s. If you like electronic music and/or dance music you really must check out his Fabric Mix and his debut long player. There is nothing ground breaking on it but what he does he does very very well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been listening to Sic Alps again after a break of a few months. It's a great album and suits the moody weather.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Julia Holter won Wire Magazine's top 50 run down. It's rare that I've heard Wire's no.1, let alone agree with it wholeheartedly.

This Daniel Avery record is an absolute BANGER. I think it may have been Herr T that first mentioned it. Whoever it was, thanks!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Julia Holter won Wire Magazine's top 50 run down. It's rare that I've heard Wire's no.1, let alone agree with it wholeheartedly.

This Daniel Avery record is an absolute BANGER. I think it may have been Herr T that first mentioned it. Whoever it was, thanks!

Good to know she made it to top spot in at least one listing- live she was amazing.
Can't say I have heard any Daniel Avery- what kind of music is it? Been a very good year for music all round and struggling to get it down to a top ten.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I bought John Grant on the strength of the recommendations on here. It doesn't disappoint. Quite a strange album with half the tracks being very stripped down and the other half being very beats led. Bit's of it remind me of LCD soundsystem, not something I was expecting. My only issue is I can't stop singing the chorus to "I hate this town". Not great when the kids are about!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Managed to arrive at a top ten- these are in my opinion the best of a very good year. In reverse order....

10. 65 Days of Static- Wild Light
9. Savages- Silence Yourself
8. British Sea Power- Machineries Of Joy
7. Unknown Mortal Orchestra- 2
6. Cate Le Bon- Mug Museum
5. Darren Hayman- Bugbears
4. British Sea Power- From The Sea To The Land Beyond
3. Mogwai- Les Revenants
2. Husky Rescue- The Long Lost Friend
1. Future Of The Left- How To Stop Your Brain In An Accident

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It was me! Glad I can return a favour as I have taken a number of your tips. It's great isn't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good to know she made it to top spot in at least one listing- live she was amazing.
Can't say I have heard any Daniel Avery- what kind of music is it? Been a very good year for music all round and struggling to get it down to a top ten.

Electronic. It is grounded in techno but it is very varied and tuneful and nods to a lot of genres.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Leona Lewis's Xmas album has just come out so this may all be a little premature.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Finally worked out my top twenty for this year - the top three were easy to pick out, but to whittle down another around thirty or so great albums into the remaining 17 spots less so.

There's been many albums that have been brought out this year that I've really got into - if they were released in 2011 or 2012, John Grant and Daft Punk would have made my top ten no problem (probably even the top five), but they didn't even make my final twenty for this year in the end.

So here's what I concluded with:

1. Moderat - II
2. Local Natives - Hummingbird
3. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
4. Ducktails - The Flower Lane
5. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
6. Atoms For Peace - Amok
7. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
8. Gold Panda - Half Of Where You Live
9. Apparat - Kreig Und Frieden
10. Lusine - The Waiting Room
11. Sigur Ros - Kveikur